Why is Africa not really worth anything in 1941?

• I have gotten A&A 1941 recently - should have gotten 1942 - but I noticed that Africa was not really worth anything. Only 2 IPCs and it is not as strategically as good as any other place really. I think that they could have made 1941 still simple and add more stuff, but I guess it’s good for the price and all. I might just get 1942 later.
    But anyway, what’s the use, is there anything good about getting Africa other than maybe 2 IPCs and loading transports? Why didn’t they make Africa more worth it or something??? Thanks.

• Africa is not worth much as to not distract Germany from taking Russia, that’s really it, the game is trying to teach you basic principles of the game, and it shows you that going for Africa wont help in the long run and that the true goal is to take Moscow, the only time the axis ever takes Africa in our games is when they already have caucuses or India.which usually means the game is won for them anyways

• Also, in terms of the actual history of WWII, Africa’s greatest importance was arguably concentrated along its northern edge because of the influence those territories could have on the control of the Mediterranean.  This was particularly the case with the Suez Canal at the eastern end of the Mediterranean, and Morocco at the western end across from Gibraltar.

• Oh thanks guys, guess Africa’s not that important. But again thanks for answering.

• You can make more out of the game.  You don’t need to resort to just leaving it as “Introductory.”  There are other strategies you can deploy.  I have attacked the Middle East and/or Egypt/Sudan on G1 several times and had varying outcomes at end game, some of them leading to my victory.  So, you don’t have to count out half the game just because you think it doesn’t matter.  Use it all, man.  Make the most of it!

Note:  It may really not matter if you’re playing against high-caliber A&A players, though. =/

• Yeah the middle east and the northern parts or Africa are pretty useful

• '17 '16

If you like 1941, but for whatever reason can’t/don’t have access to 1942 and would like to play a “meatier” version of 1941 (like buying more units per turn)… there’s some “free” options for playing with more units in 1941… you can do things like “double the income of every territory on the board”… this will put you pretty close to Classic or 1942 income values… though things will be more concentrated and zero value territories are still worth nothing… another option is the “war bonds” option for each nation… pretend each nation has national drives to support the war effort and during the income collection phase roll (1 or 2) dice (predetermined depending on how much extra you want) and that is the number of extra IPCs your nation earned from national “war bond” drives.

Options like these, allow you to still play 1941, but without the absolutely abysmal buying limitations the default game forces on players (for a purpose, to keep the game short and less complicated, but if you get tired of that and want to buy more units each turn, the above are some suggestions to allow that).

• Or you could add 1 IPC value to every territory. i.e. New Guinea is now worth 1 and Borneo is worth 2.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m