Question: Attacking transport blocks fleet movement?

• And another one:

USA is situated in sz91 with:
    1 Carrier with 2 fighters
    1 BB
    2 transport ships, carrying 4 units

Italy has a transporter situated in sz92.

US wants to make an amphibious assault in Southern France. But is it possible to make an assault on the transporter with 1 of the fighters at the same time, or does this block the movement of the ships then, since they have to move through a sz with a battle?

Thanks in advance…

• '19 '17 '16

Yes. SZ92 is friendly and you can therefore combat move through it.

• Enemy tpts or subs don’t block movement. You can have a ship stay and kill it, and pass through the sz with the rest of your fleet, or move whole navy through and have a plane kill it. Of coarse that plane can’t be used in other combats that turn.

However if the transport (or sub) was in sz 93, then you can ignore it or attack it. If you kill it you can’t use bombardment on S France, but you can still amphib through the sz.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@WILD:

However if the transport (or sub) was in sz 93, then you can ignore it or attack it. If you kill it you can’t use bombardment on S France, but you can still amphib through the sz.

Why not? If a lone plane is sent to sink the lone xport, why would that negate the BB shore bombardment?

• @Maddog77:

@WILD:

Why not? If a lone plane is sent to sink the lone xport, why would that negate the BB shore bombardment?

In case of an amphibious assault you can either conduct a sea battle or offshore bombard. Never both.

• '19 '17 '16

That is one of the other rules which don’t appear to have much value (besides the retreat to a single territory). I think the theory is doing it in this way might prevent arguments which might occur. “No those units didn’t come from there!”.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@P@nther:

@Maddog77:

@WILD:

In case of an amphibious assault you can either conduct a sea battle or offshore bombard. Never both.

But I would think that since a xport is not a war ship, the BB can still ignore it because it is not blocking any navel movement. (Meaning there’s no “clearing of the sea zone” of warships before landing the amphibious assault.)  And if no navel units are attacking the xport, then there is no navel battle that the warships are engaged in prior to the landing. The lone plane is simply sinking the lone xport with it cargo. It would be the same if the xport was in another SZ….

• @Maddog77:

@P@nther:

@Maddog77:

@WILD:

But I would think that since a xport is not a war ship, the BB can still ignore it because it is not blocking any navel movement. (Meaning there’s no “clearing of the sea zone” of warships before landing the amphibious assault.)  And if no navel units are attacking the xport, then there is no navel battle that the warships are engaged in prior to the landing. The lone plane is simply sinking the lone xport with it cargo. It would be the same if the xport was in another SZ….

Sorry, this is simply wrong. The rules are pretty clear:

@rulebook:

Amphibious Assault Sequence
    1. Sea combat
    2. Battleship and cruiser bombardment
    3. Land combat

Step 1. Sea Combat
    If there are defending surface warships and/or
    scrambled air units, sea combat occurs. If there are
    only defending submarines and/or transports, the
    attacker can choose to ignore those units or conduct sea combat.
    If sea combat occurs, all attacking and defending sea and air
    units present must participate in the battle.
    (Even if the attacker
    chose to ignore defending subs and/or transports, they will still
    be involved in the battle if the defender scrambles air units and
    forces a sea battle.) Conduct the sea combat using the rules for
    General Combat (page 18), then go to step 3 (land combat).
    If no sea combat occurs, go to step 2 (bombardment).

Step 2. Battleship and Cruiser Bombardment
    If there was NOT a combat in the sea zone from which you
    are offloading units from transports, any accompanying
    battleships and cruisers in that sea zone can conduct a one-time
    bombardment of one coastal territory or island group being
    attacked.

The Plane attacking and sinking the Transport is a sea combat. Plus: If you decide to engange the Transport the Battleship participates in the sea battle.
    Thus offshore bombardment is not possible.

HTH :-)

• Sponsor

Yep, and if you were depending on those shore bombardments during a tough Amphibious assaults, all that’s needed from the defender is to scramble a single air unit into that sea zone forcing an unwanted sea battle, which would automatically negate all possible bombardments. So if there’s a sea battle (regardless of how or why), ships won’t get shore bombardments.

• '19 '17 '16

My question is why? Am I correct in my theory?

• P@nther, I totally understand the rules regarding seabattle and if not, then the bombardment is allowed. But I understand this as a rule that applies when the seabattle happens in the same SZ?

So in this particular case, US fleet starts their movement from SZ91 to SZ92 (which contains an Italian transporter) ignores it and moves on to SZ93 for offloading in S.France.

If you choose to send a plane from the carrier to take out the transporter in SZ92, then the rest of the fleet is allowed to still pass by SZ92 to SZ93 and offload, but is not allowed to make offshore bombardments because it passed through a zone with battle?

• @Duke:

P@nther, I totally understand the rules regarding seabattle and if not, then the bombardment is allowed. But I understand this as a rule that applies when the seabattle happens in the same SZ?

So in this particular case, US fleet starts their movement from SZ91 to SZ92 (which contains an Italian transporter) ignores it and moves on to SZ93 for offloading in S.France.

If you choose to send a plane from the carrier to take out the transporter in SZ92, then the rest of the fleet is allowed to still pass by SZ92 to SZ93 and offload, but is not allowed to make offshore bombardments because it passed through a zone with battle?

My above answer applied to Maddog77’s statement, where every action was supposed to take place in SZ 93 only.

Your scenario is different. As seazone 92 containing the enemy transport is not hostile, you can combat move through it to seazone 93, as simon33 mentioned above. Additionally you can of course send your fighter to seazone 92 to engage the transport, that is what WILD BILL added above. And this is independent from an amphibious assault in seazone 93.
    So if there is no sea battle in seazone 93, you may of course offshore bombard (regardless of what happened in seazone 92).

• Ok, thank you very much for clearing this scenario out guys!

• '17 '16 Customizer

@P@nther:

@Maddog77:

@P@nther:

@Maddog77:

@WILD:

But I would think that since a xport is not a war ship, the BB can still ignore it because it is not blocking any navel movement. (Meaning there’s no “clearing of the sea zone” of warships before landing the amphibious assault.)  And if no navel units are attacking the xport, then there is no navel battle that the warships are engaged in prior to the landing. The lone plane is simply sinking the lone xport with it cargo. It would be the same if the xport was in another SZ….

Sorry, this is simply wrong. The rules are pretty clear:

@rulebook:

Amphibious Assault Sequence
    1. Sea combat
    2. Battleship and cruiser bombardment
    3. Land combat

Step 1. Sea Combat
    If there are defending surface warships and/or
    scrambled air units, sea combat occurs. If there are
    only defending submarines and/or transports, the
    attacker can choose to ignore those units or conduct sea combat.
    If sea combat occurs, all attacking and defending sea and air
    units present must participate in the battle.
    (Even if the attacker
    chose to ignore defending subs and/or transports, they will still
    be involved in the battle if the defender scrambles air units and
    forces a sea battle.) Conduct the sea combat using the rules for
    General Combat (page 18), then go to step 3 (land combat).
    If no sea combat occurs, go to step 2 (bombardment).

Step 2. Battleship and Cruiser Bombardment
    If there was NOT a combat in the sea zone from which you
    are offloading units from transports, any accompanying
    battleships and cruisers in that sea zone can conduct a one-time
    bombardment of one coastal territory or island group being
    attacked.

The Plane attacking and sinking the Transport is a sea combat. Plus: If you decide to engange the Transport the Battleship participates in the sea battle.
    Thus offshore bombardment is not possible.

Thanks for the clarifications and corrections. I was stuck on the phrase “defending surface warship” which, it’s my understanding, in G40 a xport is not a warship since it cannot attack or defend. All other A&A games I own, the xport can at least defend with a roll of 1.

• @Maddog77:

All other A&A games I own, the xport can at least defend with a roll of 1.

Yes, this has changed starting from Anniversary Edition.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m