• I’ve been playing for a long time; ditto my buddy Josh. He’s a little better than me (I win about 4 in 10).

We play a lot. Our wives want to join us. They both play board-games, but neither has ever played A&A. Sounds like fun. Even if it didn’t, it will happen (we can’t very well tell the mothers of our children “Boys only in the tree-house”).

We want it to be fun for them.

Any suggestions in terms of house rules or team set-up that would would keep Josh and me from running the game and would sort of ease them into it?

• One idea might be to play a couple of games of A&A 1941 beforehand.  The 1941 game is simpler than 1942, so it would be a less steep learning curve for your wives to acquire some of the basics of the game.  Kind of like a beginner going to ski on the kiddie slopes first, rather than starting with the grown-up hills right away. If neiter you or your buddy have played 1941 before, then so much the better: all four of you would be learning that particular game at the same time, which would make it a slightly more even playing field for everyone (even though you and you buddy will still be ahead on the A&A basics).  Also, 1941 could give you a platform on which to experiment with the potential techniques that the other forum members will suggest to you for making sure that your wives will be fully involved in the game rather that being relegated to the role of supporting players.

• We don’t actually own 1941.  Would you recommend it, on its own merits?

• I’ve never played it; I bought it for the distinctive sculpts it has.  It has the virtue of being cheap, and for your purposes it also has the advantage of having a simplified game map with a small number of territories, a small number of unit types, and just two sets of sculpt shapes: one set for all three Allied powers and one set for the two Axis powers.  It has the defect (or so I’ve heard) of not having a really adequate number of sculpts for game purposes.  You could easily compensate for this by supplementing the 1941 sculpts with equivalent units from your 1942 game (since the colours match), or replacing them entirely with 1942 sculpts (to avoid the potential confusion of blending sculpt models).  It uses cardboard discs rather than plastic poker chips to indicate multiple units, but again you can compensate fof this by using your 1942 chips, which are nicer to use.

For a preview, you can look here and here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/category/board-games/axis-allies-1941/

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/ah/AA_1941_rules.pdf

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I think the most important thing for introducing new players to a complex game is to let go of any expectation that the game will be (a) closely balanced, (b) strategically satisfying, or © intensely fought. You’re all going to need to adopt a more playful, whimsical attitude toward the game. It can be fun, but it will be fun because you’re sharing a taste of your world with your wives and enjoying each other’s company. The fun’s not going to come from your brilliant counterstroke that saved India in the nick of time. There are going to be a lot of moves on the board that strike you as sloppy or reckless or passive, and you’re going to have to cheerfully accept them as valid moves. You can offer advice when your partner seems genuinely curious and open to suggestions – but if you start offering advice whenever you think it would help your team win, you’re rapidly going to turn your partner into a puppet, which is no fun for anyone involved.

If you have the right attitude and your wives are reasonably intelligent, I think you’ll all have fun, no matter what rules or game you use. If you don’t have the right attitude, I don’t think there are any house rules that will save you.

That said, here are some suggested ways of making Axis & Allies: 1942 Second Edition a little simpler, so that you can focus on having a good time instead of teaching a zillion rules. Feel free to mix & match and pick whichever house rules make sense to you.

1. Don’t play with bombers. Replace all bombers on the board at setup with fighters.
    2. Don’t play with AAA guns. Replace all AAA guns on the board at setup with artillery.
    3. Don’t boost infantry’s offensive power when they attack with artillery. Just say that infantry always attack at 1, and artillery always attack at 2. This makes artillery noticeably weaker, but that’s OK.
    4. Don’t play with cruisers. Replace all cruisers on the board at setup with destroyers. The rules for cruisers aren’t incredibly hard, but (a) they’re really hard to distinguish visually from other ships, and (b) they’re never worth building, so they’re just a trap for newbies.
    5. Don’t play with a variable bid. Instead, just put an extra fighter in Moscow and an extra infantry in Egypt.
    6. Don’t play with victory cities – victory cities are one confusing thing that you have to track. Instead, play until the Axis capture 2 Allied factories and hold them until the end of the USA’s turn, or until the Allies capture 1 Axis-original or Axis-built factory (immediate Allied victory).

• @Argothair:

1. Don’t play with cruisers. Replace all cruisers on the board at setup with destroyers. The rules for cruisers aren’t incredibly hard, but (a) they’re really hard to distinguish visually from other ships, and (b) they’re never worth building, so they’re just a trap for newbies.

As a recognition tip on that subject: destroyer sculpts in the game can be recognized from the fact that most of them have transom sterns.  In landlubber terms, this means that the back end of the ship is flat rather than pointy.

• Personally I wouldn’t change the rules at all, nor would I play 41 instead.

It sounds counterintuitive, but the smaller games like 41 are frustrating because mistakes are compounded by lack of resources. You get much more leeway in battles in 40 than you do in 41.

I’d just jump in, let them play a power and maybe make suggestions if they ask, but let them make mistakes and no matter what, try to keep the insider talk between you and your friend to a minimum. In other words, don’t keep laying out stories or strategies, let them learn without making them feeling like they’re intruding or novices.

My wife plays a whole bunch of different games with us, but not any war stuff, except Risk.

Give them a primer of the game function, then just have a blast, no matter who wins. The only real way for them to enjoy or learn the game is to play and the only way to learn about bombers, cruisers, etc is to let it happen. They get bombed, they’ll see the worth. If they buy cruisers and they get destroyed, they’ll pick up on that better than if you say it.

Believe or not, a fresh set of brains in the mix might exploit something you’ve never seen. My son always pulls out some obscure move that kills a plan, whether he knows it or not.

• I have taught getting on for 20 friends and family to play A&A and certainly do recommend 1941. It is a good way for new players to start, being so much simpler and also quicker to play.

However, those used to the more complex versions can find 1941 frustrating, so you and your buddy may not enjoy it so much.

Whatever version you play, ausf and Argothair are correct in suggesting that you will need to keep quiet and let your wives make their mistakes and enjoy their victories. Limit yourselves to answering questions. That can be very hard to do!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Play Memoir 44 and Risk with them first.  Axis and Allies isn’t a good beginner game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m