• Sponsor

Check out this document arranged by a new conscript named Low_Roller (he can’t post links at this point so I’m helping him share it).

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/135963/axis-allies-1940-global-rules-reference

Basically it’s an all in one document for A&A G40 players who don’t want to flip between both books for reference. Also, he has laid it out so that all rule sections are organized alphabetically like an index. I really like this customization and although it is still raw, I honestly think that our community should refine this original template to give us the 1 rulebook we all have been wanting. This is Low_Roller in his own words…

_"How frustrated do you get having to reference 2 rule books?

I am very new to the game (only 6 games of global under my belt) and it was bugging me so I put together the basic rules from both booklets as well as the global rules into one alphabetized booklet. It doesn’t have pictures or examples but has all the basic text you would need to quickly reference a rule.

I copied and pasted the text straight from the rule books so most of it should be accurate but if you find something wrong, please make note and I will attempt to check this thread to update the file.

Enjoy.

-links not allowed for this user-

I can’t post links, odd. Well if you want to check out the rules reference I made visit the board game geek website and check under A&A 1940:Europe then click files tab and it is uploaded there as a pdf (uploaded on Aug 18th 2016)"_

• '19 '17 '16

There’s a couple of rules in the Pac book not in the Europe one - China and Kamikazes but does it apply the other way around? Can’t think of any OTOH.

• @simon33:

There’s a couple of rules in the Pac book not in the Europe one - China and Kamikazes but does it apply the other way around? Can’t think of any OTOH.

For playing Global the only thing not covered in the Pacific Rulebook is the definition of Canals and Narrow Straits specific for the Europe Map.

So apart from this, yes, having the Pacific Rulebook covers everything for playing global.

Nevertheless, I like Low_Roller’s alphabetical approach as an add-on to the rulebook. Nice reference for beginners, making it probably easier to find certain aspects, after having learned how to get through all the phases of the game.

• Sponsor

P@nther,

The 1940 Global community has always expressed a desperate need for an all in one rule reference book. Low_Roller has taken the first step and arranged everything into one document, and I mean to make it pretty with Adobe Indesign and WW2 illustrations. However, none of this work will matter if we don’t get an official answers deputy to verify its accuracy. I’m sure you’re a busy individual, and you may not wish to participate in such a murky watered fan share project, but would you proof read and send us your edits?. This may be to much of a conflict of interest to ask Kreighund, but without a seal of approval from someone like yourself, the community will always question its legitimacy.

Here is what Low_Roller told me about his work, I hope you can help us…

_"I will say about 95% has no addition or subtraction but there is some small things that were taken out where it would reference an example picture that I did not add. There are some areas where I added in extra content but almost all of the added content is straight from the rule books but added in new places so that you wouldn’t need to then flip more pages to look it up again. I.E. there is extra info on the units that is taken from other locations in the book so that you wouldn’t need to then flip to find out more about the special rule.

It may not be perfect and I have some pretty thick skin when it comes to this so if there is something you find wrong or that needs to be re-worked, please let me know.

I hope it will help. I just want to give back since I have been using your videos to attempt to lure more people into A&A"._

• @Young:

Here is what Low_Roller told me about his work, I hope you can help us…

"I will say about 95% has no addition or subtraction but there is some small things that were taken out where it would reference an example picture that I did not add. There are some areas where I added in extra content but almost all of the added content is straight from the rule books but added in new places …

I see. Well, with so many content being copy-pasted, I think proofreading will not be that much of work.
    But I am now just thinking about last year’s copyright discussion which may become relevant in this case, too.
    You remember http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36001 ?
    You might consider this again when thinking about what you guys are about to distribute then.

Concerning accuracy - is this reference based on the very latest rulebooks (downloadable from http://avalonhill.wizards.com/rules? ) ?
    If not it would be some work to edit all the clarifications in, that Krieghund posted starting from here: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28562.msg1540640#msg1540640

Of course I will be ready to answer your questions concerning self-verbalized content in it’s context. :-)

• Sponsor

@P@nther:

Of course I will be ready to proofread any self-verbalized content in it’s context when it is done. :-)

By this I’m assuming that only a re-writen reference manual would avoid copyright issues (a complete handbook without copy and pasting anything from a WOTC publication). I will have to find out more about copyright laws before taking on such a massive endeavour, but it should be known that it’s never my intention to profit from any of my customizations. Also, I would never suggest that Krieghund didn’t write a proper rulebook… it’s just the referencing of rules using 2 sources that is the issue for many of us (which could all be avoided if WOTC would give us an all in one handbook themselves). All that said, are you telling me that if I write such a document in my own words that you will check it for clarifications, and support it’s legitimacy?.

Thanks for your responses.

• @Young:

By this I’m assuming that only a re-writen reference manual would avoid copyright issues (a complete handbook without copy and pasting anything from a WOTC publication). I will have to find out more about copyright laws before taking on such a massive endeavour, but it should be known that it’s never my intention to profit from any of my customizations. Also, I would never suggest that Krieghund didn’t write a proper rulebook… it’s just the referencing of rules using 2 sources that is the issue for many of us (which could all be avoided if WOTC would give us an all in one handbook themselves). All that said, are you telling me that if I write such a document in my own words that you will check it for clarifications, and support it’s legitimacy?.

What I am saying is just the result of my own unsureness about those possible legal issues.
    Actually I cannot say, what is necessary to be safe in this case.

What I can say is that I am willing and happy to contribute to projects related to A&A - given that possible legal problems are excluded - and restricted by my low spare time of course ;-)

So, yes, if your project would be legal (not saying it is not, but I don’t know) - I would support it.

• Sponsor

@P@nther:

@Young:

What I am saying is just the result of my own unsureness about those possible legal issues.
    Actually I cannot say, what is necessary to be safe in this case.

What I can say is that I am willing and happy to contribute to projects related to A&A - given that possible legal problems are excluded - and restricted by my low spare time of course ;-)

So, yes, if your project would be legal (not saying it is not, but I don’t know) - I would support it.

That’s absolutely fair, I also have the same moral fibre and commitment to fall on the legal side of fan share projects… you will hear from me again on this good sir.

• YG, I haven’t seen Low Roller’s document (BGG requires a person to register in order to download files), so I can’t really comment on it – but here’s an idea that you might want to consider for your own rulebook project, since it may save you a lot of work and may perhaps also be safer from a legal point of view.

I imagine that your project to rewrite the entire Global 1940 ruleset as a combined document will require you, as a first step, to create an outline of the document that you want to create – basically, a plan for the structure of the whole document, arranged in whatever way you think will be best from the point of view of clarity and ease of use.  I also imagine that, as another preparatory step, you’ll need to make an inventory of all the parts of the Europe and Pacific 1940 rulebooks that you wll want to use, with page references to those parts of the two rulebooks.  One way to make that inventory would be to plug the page references into your structured outline, to give yourself a complete plan of where in the rulebooks you’ll need to go to write each section of your projected document.  (This may not necessarily be the way you were planning to prepare the project, but for the sake of argument I’ll assume that this was going to be your methodology.)

Anyway, what occured to me is this.  Having prepared a detailed outline of the type I’ve described, and having inserted into the outline all the required page references to the Europe and Pacific 1940 rulebooks, you might not find it necessary to re-write anything at all.  The document I’ve described would serve as a kind of sophisticated index – a conceptual one, not an alphabetical one – to the Europe and Pacific 1940 rulebooks that treats them in a combined way and that provides access to their content according to whatever logical structure you think would be most convenient for use by players.  The players would still have to go from your document to the rulebook page to which you referred them, of course, but the point is that you wouldn’t have to spend any time actually rewriting the two rulebooks, which would save you an awful lot of work.  Furthermore, since you’d neither copying-and-pasting the rulebooks (which would be questionable from a legal point of view) nor re-phrasing the actual content of the rulebooks (basically trying to get around potential copyright problems by putting the rulebooks into your own language), you might be on safer legal ground.  Essentially, you’d be providing people with a structured and easy-to-use way of accessing official rules, rather than either reproducing or rephrasing the rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m