• The year is 1915.  Only months ago, Archduke Ferdinad, heir of the Austrian throne, was assasinated by a Serbian in Sarajevo, Bosnia.  Due to its unsatisfaction of the Serbian government’s response, Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia starting a chain of events that plumetted the world into war.  Russia mobillized to help Slavic Serbia.  Germany, desiring to get the upper hand, declared war on Russia and France.  Soon after, Germany invaded Belgium, and the British, along with their world-wide empire, declared war on Germany.  Italy, though a Central Power, refused to go to war since the Central Powers were not fighting a defensive war.  Now, in 1915 however, Italy decides to join the Allies, quite confident it joined the winning side.  The Ottoman Empire, a rival of the British and Russians, has filled Italy’s spot as the third Central Power.  Battles have been fought and many have died.  Small gains have been made by both sides and most of Africa and other parts of the world are getting involved due to the Europeans’ colonies.  Many more countries stand on the brink of war, and all the United States can do is watch.  These are trying times.  Guide your country through this Great War and hope it truly is the War to End All Wars…

Designer’s notes:
    This is a 1915 setup for 1914. Don’t think of it as “1914 one turn faster”; think of it as “a new way to play 1914.”
    This setup has undergone some play testing, but it is still being perfected.  YOUR FEEDBACK IS STRONGLY APPRECIATED! If you notice any historical problems or have any questions, feel free to ask!
    Special thanks to my fellow gamers for help and several sources for the historical situation of the map.
    I plan to make 1916, 1917, and 1918 so keep an eye out ;)

Rules changes:
    The United States may declare war on turn three.  Tanks may be purchased turn two. Russian Revolution may occur turn three.

Turn order and starting income/IPCs in hand:
    Austria-Hungary: 23
    Russia: 24
    Germany: 36
    France: 23
    British Empire: 30
    Ottoman Empire: 16
    Italy: 14
    United States: 20

Setup:
    Austria-Hungary:
    Vienna: 12 infantry, 4 artillery, 2 fighters
    Budapest: 12 infantry, 3 artillery
    Galicia: 6 infantry,  3 artillery
    Bohemia: 4 infantry, 1 artillery
    Tyrolia: 6 infantry, 3 artillery
    Trieste: 6 infantry, 3 artillery
    Sea Zone 18: 1 transport, 1 cruiser, 1 battleship

Russia:
    Karelia: 4 infantry, 2 artillery
    Livonia: 3 infantry, 1 artillery
    Moscow: 6 infantry, 4 artillery, 1 fighter
    Belarus: 2 infantry
    Poland: 6 infantry, 2 artillery
    Ukraine: 6 infantry, 2 artillery
    Galicia: 6 infantry, 2 artillery
    Sevastopol: 4 infantry, 2 artillery
    Tatarstan: 3 infantry, 1 artillery
    Kazakhstan: 2 infantry
    Serbia: 6 infantry, 1 artillery, control marker
    Sea Zone 12: 1 battleship
    Sea Zone: 21: 2 cruisers

Germany:
    Berlin: 12 infantry, 6 artillery, 2 fighters
    Prussia: 6 infantry, 3 artillery
    Silesia: 6 infantry, 3 artillery
    Kiel: 6 infantry, 3 artillery
    Poland: 6 infantry, 3 artillery
    Ruhr: 12 infantry, 2 artillery
    Alsace: 6 infantry, 2 artillery
    Lorraine: 8 infantry, 4 artillery, 2 fighters
    Belgium: 6 infantry, 2 artillery, 1 fighter
    German East Africa: 2 infantry
    South West Africa: 1 infantry
    Sea Zone 3: 1 submarine
    Sea Zone 4: 1 submarine
    Sea Zone 5: 1 submarine
    Sea Zone 7: 1 submarine
    Sea Zone 10: 1 cruiser, 2 battleships
    Sea Zone 11: 1 cruiser

France:
    Paris: 6 infantry, 4 artillery, 1 fighter
    Picardy: 6 infantry, 2 artillery
    Lorraine: 12 infantry, 3 artillery, 1 fighter
    Burgundy: 6 infantry, 2 artillery
    Marseilles: 1 infantry, 1 artillery
    Bordeaux: 1 infantry
    Brest: 1 infantry
    Algeria: 1 infantry
    Togoland: Control Marker
    French Equatorial Africa: 1 infantry
    Sea Zone 15: 1 transport, 1 battleship
    Sea Zone 16: 2 transports, 1 submarine, 1 cruiser

British Empire:
    London: 4 infantry, 1 artillery
    Wales: 3 infantry, 1 artillery
    Yorkshire: 1 infantry, 1 artillery
    Scotland: 2 infantry
    Canada: 5 infantry, 1 artillery
    Picardy: 4 infantry, 2 artillery, 1 fighter
    Union of South Africa: 1 infantry
    Rhodesia: 2 infantry
    British East Africa: 1 infantry
    Egypt: 4 infantry, 2 artillery, 1 fighter
    India: 8 infantry, 1 artillery
    Sea Zone 2: 1 transport, 1 cruiser
    Sea Zone 8: 1 transport, 1 cruiser, 2 battleships
    Sea Zone 9: 1 transport, 1 cruiser
    Sea Zone 19: 1 battleship
    Sea Zone 28: 1 transport
    Sea Zone 29: 1 transport, 1 cruiser

Ottoman Empire:
    Constantinople: 6 infantry, 2 artillery
    Smyrna: 3 infantry, 1 artillery
    Trans-Jordan: 4 infantry, 2 artillery, 1 fighter
    Syrian Desert: 2 infantry, 1 artillery
    Mesopotamia: 4 infantry, 1 artillery
    Ankara: 3 infantry,  2 artillery
    Sea Zone 20: 1 cruiser, 1 battleship

Italy:
    Rome: 6 infantry, 2 artillery, 1 fighter
    Naples: 1 infantry, 1 artillery
    Tuscany: 4 infantry, 1 artillery
    Venice: 6 infantry, 4 artillery
    Piedmont: 4 infantry, 1 artillery
    Sardinia: 1 infantry
    Sicily: 1 infantry
    Libya: 1 infantry
    Sea Zone 18: 1 transport, 1 cruiser, 1 battleship

United States:
    United States of America: 8 infantry, 4 artillery
    Sea Zone 1: 1 cruiser, 1 battleship

Edit 1: corrected various mistakes
    Edit 2: added three infantry to Ukraine. Removed two German infantry from Poland.  Removed Austria sub from 18. Changed French fleet in 16. Corrected various mistakes.
    Edit 3: Added Italian units. 2 infantry to Tuscany. 2 infantry and 1 artillery to Rome. Removed optional house rules.
    Edit 4: Removed French units. 1 infantry from Marseilles, Brest, Bordeaux, French West Africa, Tunisia, Morocco, and 1 artillery from Algeria.  Added 3 German infantry to Munich and 2 to Kiel. Corrected spelling errors.
    Edit 5: removed British transport from SZ 9 and American one from SZ 1. Added Russian revolution to be allowed turn 3.  
    Edit 6: removed 4 British infantry and fighter in Lorraine. Added four French infantry to Lorraine. Moved French fighter in Picardy to Paris.
    Edit 7: removed a fighter in London and Paris (Fokker Scourge) moved 6 German infantry from Munich to Ruhr. Removed UK cruiser from SZ 14. Added German infantry to East Africa and South West Africa. Added British infantry to Rhodesia.

• Sponsor

I don’t play 1914, but I love to see new A&A setups without a lot of house rules attached to them. Great Job!

• Thanks! Once a player meets 1940, 1914 seems boring for sure.  1940 is like toy soldiers and 1914 like toy blocks lol.

P.S.  added some fixes to the setup.

• Haven’t digested the new setup yet - but wanted to comment that OOB 1914 needs improvement.  But with a few new rules, new territories, some adjustments to setup (all house rules at this point) - I am a big fan of 1914.  I would like to see a new order of play:  for 1914 version….
    AH - Can only and must attack SER turn 1
    IT - Neutral turn 1.  Can only attack AH on turn 2, is free to enter British territories.
    RU - Cannot attack Turkey turn 1.
    GE - Must attack BEL turn 1.
    FR
    OE
    UK
    US - Neutral until turn 4.

• The goal of this project is to create a historically accurate yet balanced and fun 1915 with no house rules.  I kept the OOB turn order because it works well with my setup plans.  I tried to fix the many problems with 1914 but only by changing the setup.  Germany can press hard into France forcing the British to not go 100% India.  Austria-Hungary can take and hold Venice to hold the Italians.  Russia is strong but will lose many units due to the equally strong German, Austrian, and Ottoman armies.  The Ottomans can’t be attacked anywhere on turn one without them getting a great counterattack opportunity.  I changed around the Atlantic to stop Germany from getting into a big naval fight turn one yet still take out some Brits.  Setup still needs tweaking.

If you get a chance try it out and let me know how it went!  It would be nice to play 1914 in a fair and fun way without adding house rules…

• Wouldn’t a player-proposed change in setup be considered a house rule, since it’s an unofficial deviation from the OOB rules?

• Definitely.  I just thought that was obvious with the topic being in house rules…

• I guess I was puzzled by the parts of your post which said “The goal of this project is to create a historically accurate yet balanced and fun 1915 with no house rules” and “It would be nice to play 1914 in a fair and fun way without adding house rules…”, both of which refer to the concept of having no house rules.

• @CWO:

I guess I was puzzled by the parts of your post which said “The goal of this project is to create a historically accurate yet balanced and fun 1915 with no house rules” and “It would be nice to play 1914 in a fair and fun way without adding house rules…”, both of which refer to the concept of having no house rules.

My bad. What I should have said is “My goal is to create a 1915 game which implements no other rule changes aside from setup and when tanks/American involvement/Russian Revolution will come.”

Do you play 1914 CWO Marc? If so I’d really appreciate if you could play or even just set up the game. My gaming group likes it (especially since it gives the CP a chance), but they are the only playtesters so far which means it still needs tweaking most likely.

de Gaulle

• @Charles:

Do you play 1914 CWO Marc?

No, unfortunately I haven’t really had time for actual A&A gaming for a long while.  These days I mostly focus on A&A sculpt collecting.  And visiting this forum, of course.

• PantherP Panther locked this topic on

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m