• I bought the 1941 Version and i realized, that the game had not enough figures. I wanna buy the 1942 2nd Version.Can i use the 1941 figures in the 1942 Version? Or it is better to buy extra figures for every version?

• Hi maxpower and welcome to the forum.

I started with 1941 and, like you decided I needed more figures. Having looked at buying additional figures from HBG, or a second copy of 1941 or instead 1942.2, I did purchase the latter. Subsequently I also purchased 1940 Europe and Pacific. Now all these units are mixed together and used for whichever version I am playing.

So - yes you can use 1941 figures in the 1942.2 version and vice-versa. They are identically scaled and coloured. The units do vary (e.g. tank types) as they more accurately reflect those available to each nation as you move to the more complex games. So you’ll find that Japanese destroyers, German tanks, US fighters, etc are not identical in all the games. But for me that is not an issue, and in any case not every Japanese destroyer, German tank or US fighter was the same in truth. The key is that being identically scaled and coloured they are interchangeable.

Cheers
    PP

• The colours of the units in the two games are identical, they’re scaled identically, and the unit types resemble each other sufficiently to be compatible – so yes, they’re interchangeable in that sense.  The potential problem, however, is that the 1941 game has fewer unit types than the 1942 game; for example, the 1941 game has no artillery units.  So while using 1942 pieces to supplement the 1941 game will work, the reverse isn’t true because there are some 1942 unit types that the 1941 game can’t provide.

On a related note, one nice thing about the 1941 game is that it includes a distinctive Soviet aircraft carrier design and a distinctive British transport ship ship design, both of which are lacking in Global 1940 2nd edition.

• '17 '16

You can definitely merge the units together either way by buying both games… as previously mentioned, 1942SE has more unit types than 1941 (specifically Artillery, AAA and Cruisers), but for the most part, everything is self-complimentary in boosting the overall pool of available units.

Also, the 1941 and 1942 versions have different sculpts for each unit (aside from the infantry which is identical).  The 1941 version has a different tank, fighter, bomber, destroyer, carrier and battleship sculpt/model (1-each) for the Axis and Allies respectively (things such as a Tiger Tank, He-111 bomber, FW-190 fighter, Hood BB, JS-2 tank, Russian carrier, etc, etc).  This is a plus, not a minus, and a nice way of adding cool new looks to both 1941 and 1942 (since the 1942 sculpts are different than the 1941 sculpts and vice-versa).

I got back into A&A by purchasing 1941, quickly followed by a purchase of 1942, then pooling all the units together in common bins for use in either game.  I also boosted that further by purchasing more units from HBG to make it possible for me to play a “chitless” game if I so choose in either version (assisted by printing larger maps to give more room, but that’s another subject).  For example, all five of my powers have over 60 infantry and 24 tanks in their bins for each nation.  I highly recommend doing what you asked… just buy 1942 and merge them… if you want more than that, go on HBG and order additional units.

Enjoy the game, its a lot of fun.

NationTrays1.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m