Actual Political Consequences of Invading Neutral Nations

• What would have been the actual political consequences of invading the various neutral countries during World War 2?  The reason I’m asking is because I might make some house rules for A&A Global.  I have heard of a few:

• Spain and Portugal had an agreement that if one was invaded, the other would declare war.  It goes without saying that if a Portuguese colony was invaded, it would mean war with Portugal.  Would it also mean war with Spain if a Portuguese colony were invaded?  I would think not.  If Portugal declared war due to a colony being invaded and was later invaded, would that then mean war with Spain?

• There was a treaty between middle eastern countries where if one was invaded, others would declare war with the invader, but not sure which countries.

• Did Turkey have any such treaty where they would declare war if another country was invaded or other countries would take their side if they were invaded?

• Switzerland?

• Sweden?

• South American nations?

• Other countries I left out?

• This is roughly the same question that you asked in August 2015…

(“I’d like to make some new neutral rules for Axis and Allies 1940 Global 2nd edition both to make it more realistic and also to encourage more neutral country invasions since I think this could add a new strategic element and also would be fun. […] Basically, I’d like to have a sheet that outlines consequences for invading each neutral.  This would be a big research project for me to figure out, but perhaps there is a history buff on here that may enjoy whipping out some quick and historically verifiable answers.”)

… in this thread…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36379.msg1439721#msg1439721

…to which a few answers were provided at the time.  Did you have the opportunity to carry out any additional research in the interim?

• No research other than Wikipedia.  That’s where I got the info on the middle east nations.  Was hoping someone could break down some other alliances:  for instance, invade x country and these countries had agreements to go to war, etc.

I’m not looking as much for house rules here, but more of an actual historical question.  Not as much “you should have this happen when you invade a country” but more along the lines of “this country had an agreement to go to war with these countries should they be invaded.”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m