• :? :? :?

So my group of friends and I are pretty well versed in A&A. We have played 1942 about once a month for the last several years. We just recently started 1940 Global, and so far it’s pretty darn impressive.

HOWEVER …

How the heck do convoy attacks work? I’ve read the section of the rules several times and I just can’t make sense of it. Can someone please explain it to me like I’m 5?

Thanks!

• '14 Customizer

Each warship (DD, CA, BB) get to roll one dice. Subs, and Fighters on the CV get to roll 2 dice each.
    Edit - CVs do not count as a warship for convoys

If the dice roll is 1-3 the warships hit the convoy otherwise (4-6) they missed.

Add the result from all the warships and that the total convoy value.

Now you need to compare that value to the IPCs that can be convoyed in that seazone.

Example #1:

Seazone 109. Has 6 ICPs from London and 2 ICPS from Scotland = 8 total ICPS that can be convoyed.

Germany has 2 subs in seazone 109 than can convoy. Since they are subs they each roll 2 dice.

Lets say they roll - 2, 4, 6, 3. Now add the numbers that are LESS than 4 which is 2 + 3 = 5. The convoy result would be 5

Example #2

Seazone 109.
    Now the subs roll 3, 3, 3, 2. Since all the numbers are less than 4 we add them up 3+3+3+2 = 11. But since seazone 109 has only 8 ICPs available to convoy (6 ICPs from London and 2 ICPS from Scotland) the number convoyed is 8 rather than 11.

• You have been a very naughty boy. Now off to bed, without any supper!

In your Collect Income Phase, check if there are any enemy ships (with which you are at war) in any of the Convoy Boxes by your coastal territories. For each Warship (not Carrier), roll one D6 and for each Sub or Ft/Tac on a Carrier, roll 2D6. On any roll of 1-3, you record the number and add up the total for that Convoy Box (the Sea Zone) and remove that many IPCs from your income. You can only remove as many IPCs as the territories add up to, bordering the Convoy Box. Eg: can only lose two if you hold Greece, as it is only worth two.
    You will notice that some SZs can cost you as much as eleven. Japan and Korea in SZ6 add up to that number. The Germans could lose three, for example, if the Russians had a Sub in SZ125 and Germany owned Norway.
    Does that help?
    Incidentally, Both sides must do the maths. There is no avoiding convoying or missing it.

Hi Cyanight. Beat me to it!

• That definitely helps!

My mind kept going to convoys being an offensive tool, not a defensive, so I was always trying to reconcile removing IPCs during an attack phase. I’m sure it was clear in the instructions, but trying to understand all of the other new rules just sorta clouded the issue.

Now this makes sense - in my turn, if enemy ships are in my territory, I lose money.

That’s garbage!!!

We’re on turn 7 in our first game so we’ll add convoys to our next game … probably not fair to start it mid-game!

And just to confirm, it doesn’t impact the ships’ ability to fight later in the turn right? it’s just (for lack of a better term) “extra”?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

remember, the convoy attack happens on the ENEMY turn.  So, no, it doesn’t affect what your ships can do on your turn.

Your ships have to be in place on your turn, but as long as they survive the enemy turn, they do the damage in the collect income phase.  If more than one power has income next to that convoy, you will get to roll twice during two different phases.

Uk sub in SZ 98 moves there on UK turn 
    Germany owns Egypt
    Italy owns Transjordan

On Italy collect income, roll 2 dice against 1 maximum income, if your sub lives through the Italy turn.
    On Germany collect income, roll 2 dice against 2 maximum income, if your sub lives through the Germany turn

On your next turn, the sub can move freely.  If it stays, repeat the above as long as it lives.

• '14 Customizer

@wittmann:

You have been a very naughty boy. Now off to bed, without any supper!

In your Collect Income Phase, check if there are any enemy ships (with which you are at war) in any of the Convoy Boxes by your coastal territories. For each Warship (not Carrier), roll one D6 and for each Sub or Ft/Tac on a Carrier, roll 2D6. On any roll of 1-3, you record the number and add up the total for that Convoy Box (the Sea Zone) and remove that many IPCs from your income. You can only remove as many IPCs as the territories add up to, bordering the Convoy Box. Eg: can only lose two if you hold Greece, as it is only worth two.
    You will notice that some SZs can cost you as much as eleven. Japan and Korea in SZ6 add up to that number. The Germans could lose three, for example, if the Russians had a Sub in SZ125 and Germany owned Norway.
    Does that help?
    Incidentally, Both sides must do the maths. There is no avoiding convoying or missing it.

Hi Cyanight. Beat me to it!

TripleA must have made me lazy.  I thought CVs participated in convoy raids but after rereading the rule they are excluded even though they are classified as a surface warship.

• Sponsor

@Azpathfinder:

:? :? :?

So my group of friends and I are pretty well versed in A&A. We have played 1942 about once a month for the last several years. We just recently started 1940 Global, and so far it’s pretty darn impressive.

HOWEVER …

How the heck do convoy attacks work? I’ve read the section of the rules several times and I just can’t make sense of it. Can someone please explain it to me like I’m 5?

Thanks!

Here’s my YouTube tutorial on convoy disruptions…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwQXKKDORaI

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Beware what we always do, which is to forget the convoy disruption until our turn. I have yet to see a player who doesn’t forget it!

Marsh

• Here’s my YouTube tutorial on convoy disruptions…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwQXKKDORaI

What a great tutorial thanks! Love the series, I’m watching the customization series now …  thanks for creating it!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m