New & Modified Production Facilities

Industrial Complex: (Blue)
    Cost - 30 IPCs
    Produces up to 10 units
    Maximum damage 20
    Unoperational at 10 damage
    Capable of mobilizing all unit types
    May only be damaged by strategic bombers
    Contains a built in AA gun for defense against SBRs (1@1 per attacking bomber)
    May only be placed on an originally controlled territory (not islands) with an IPC value of 3 or greater
    Immediately downgraded to a major factory once captured

Major Factory: (Red)
    Cost - 20 IPCs
    Produces up to 5 units
    Maximum damage 10
    Unoperational at 5 damage
    May be placed on any controlled territory (not islands) with an IPC value of 3 or greater
    Immediately downgraded to a minor factory once captured

Minor Factory: (Green)
    Cost - 15 IPCs
    Produces up to 3 units
    Maximum damage 6
    Unoperational at 3 damage
    May be placed on any controlled territory (not islands) with an IPC value of 2 or greater
    Immediately downgraded to a military base once captured

Military Base: (White)
    Cost - 10 IPCs
    Produces up to 3 units
    Maximum damage 6
    Unoperational at 3 damage
    May only mobilize infantry units and sea transports
    May be damaged by both tactical and strategic bombers
    May be placed on any controlled territory including islands
    Immediately removed from the board once captured

4 colors of plastic houses are available at HBG, each unit purchased contains 5 houses… http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Victory-City-Marker-Small--Token-x5_p_383.html

Upgrading facilities:

All production facilities may be upgraded 1 level per turn for 10 IPCs each level, provided that all placement requirements have been met.

Modified Setup: All production facilities

Germany
    Western Germany - Industrial Complex
    Germany - Industrial Complex

Soviet Union
    Russia - Industrial Complex
    Novgorod - Major Factory
    Ukraine - Minor Factory
    Volgograd - Minor Factory (immediately upgraded to major factory if Leningrad and/or Ukraine have been captured)
    Japan
    Japan - Industrial Complex

United States
    Western United States - Major Factory (immediately upgraded to IC when at war with the Axis powers) Central United States - Major Factory (immediately upgraded to IC when at war with the Axis powers) Eastern United States - Major Factory (immediately upgraded to IC when at war with the Axis powers) Hawaiian Islands - Military Base

United Kingdom: Europe
    United Kingdom - Industrial Complex
    Quebec - Major Factory
    Union of South Africa - Minor Factory
    Egypt - Military Base

Italy
    Southern Italy - Major Factory
    Northern Italy - Major Factory

United Kingdom: Pacific
    India - Major Factory (immediately upgraded to IC when at war with Japan) New South Wales - Major Factory

France
    France - Industrial Complex
    Normandy - Minor Factory
    Southern France - Minor Factory

• Sponsor

I have been working a lot on this hoping to refine it before my next play test. Would really like some help with the setup modifications like should Hawaii start with a military outpost, how about Egypt, should Leningrad start with a major factory or a minor, does the Stalingrad upgrade make sense, should Paris be a minor factory to start or an IC?

• '17 '16

Outpost and minor should be upgrade for 10 IPCs.
    Major Factory should be upgrade for 15 IPCs.

At 12 to upgrade Outpost noone will buy it.
    Buying Minor for 15 gonna be the shortcut.

• YG’s Military Outposts proposal sounds a bit like the base / training camp idea that was discussed on the first page of this thread:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36518.0

There might be some useful ideas there on terminology because “outpost” to me conveys the idea of a small, lonely distant military installation (the kind that soldiers hate being posted to, and hated even more in the days before Skype and email), not the idea of a mobilization area for infantry.

Also, in the phrase “May only mobilize infantry and transport units”,  I don’t understand clearly what “transport units” means.  Naval transports? Trucks?  Mech infantry?

• Sponsor

@Baron:

Hey BM, Thanks for the comments,

The value in these units have nothing to do with upgrade cost, I’ve been playing this game for years and have never witnessed a factory upgrade. If a territory meets the required placement criteria for 3 different types of production facilities, you’ll obviously purchase and place the highest that is eligible for the territory or risk spending more in the long run. The ideas in Halifax rules prevented them from getting upgraded at all unless you were the original owner of the territory, this way I’ve made it possible to upgrade, but good luck affording it. I believe many players will purchase a military outpost not because of it’s upgrading potential, but rather their placement abilities. An outpost cost 10 IPCs and can be placed on the Caroline Islands, so it doesn’t mater how much it would cost to upgrade it later to a minor factory because minor factories can’t be placed on islands.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

YG’s Military Outposts proposal sounds a bit like the base / training camp idea that was discussed on the first page of this thread:

There might be some useful ideas there on terminology because “outpost” to me conveys the idea of a small, lonely distant military installation (the kind that soldiers hate being posted to, and hated even more in the days before Skype and email), not the idea of a mobilization area for infantry.

Also, in the phrase “May only mobilize infantry and transport units”,� � I don’t understand clearly what “transport units” means.� � Naval transports? Trucks?� � Mech infantry?� � �

Thanks Marc,

I meant only sea transports and I will modify that, this might require some abstraction in military concepts… however, the entire idea is not only based on more options for spawning locations, but it’s also a crucial mechanic for getting troops on Islands faster without resorting to infantry beach attacks from Cruisers and Battleships.

What do you think about the modified setup?

• '17 '16

@Young:

@Baron:

The value in these units have nothing to do with upgrade cost, I’ve been playing this game for years and have never witnessed a factory upgrade. If a territory meets the required placement criteria for 3 different types of production facilities, you’ll obviously purchase and place the highest that is eligible for the territory or risk spending more in the long run. The ideas in Halifax rules prevented them from getting upgraded at all unless you were the original owner of the territory, this way I’ve made it possible to upgrade, but good luck affording it. I believe many players will purchase a military outpost not because of it’s upgrading potential, but rather their placement abilities. An outpost cost 10 IPCs and can be placed on the Caroline Islands, so it doesn’t mater how much it would cost to upgrade it later to a minor factory because minor factories can’t be placed on islands.

Probably, upgrade for outpost and minor factory should be cheaper, something around 6 IPCs.
    While major to IC should cost 12 IPCs.
    That way, it can be affordable to upgrade.

• Sponsor

Well, a military outpost in my mind consists of barracks, supply depots, and some training obsticals, so going from that to producing precision weapons made of iron like artillery, or engines and armour for tanks is quite a shift. I think in my head these outposts can be placed on territories with zero IPC value, and even islands… so supplying a project to turn it into a minor factory would not be cheap, even if the territory is eligible… I wouldn’t go lower than 10 IPCs to upgrade outposts to minors and minors to majors. Any other things about it that need discussion? would you play with these new unit profiles?

• These new bases sound great, but would it be a good idea to let tactical bombers STB a minor factory?  It just seems like their bombing capabilities are near to useless so far.

• '17 '16

@Baron:

@Young:

@Baron:

Probably, upgrade for outpost and minor factory should be cheaper, something around 6 IPCs.

@Young:

Well, a military outpost in my mind consists of barracks, supply depots, and some training obsticals, so going from that to producing precision weapons made of iron like artillery, or engines and armour for tanks is quite a shift. I think in my head these outposts can be placed on territories with zero IPC value, and even islands… so supplying a project to turn it into a minor factory would not be cheap, even if the territory is eligible… I wouldn’t go lower than 10 IPCs to upgrade outposts to minors and minors to majors. Any other things about it that need discussion? would you play with these new unit profiles?

My assumption was to keep proportion with OOB upgrade:
    Minor cost 12
    Upgrade cost 20
    IC cost 30
    So upgrading cost 2 additional IPCs.

From major Factory at 20
    Upgrade 12, sum 32 IPCs (same  as OOB)

From minor factory at 15
    Upgrade 6, sum 21 (1 additional IPC compared to major factory )
    From outpost at 10
    upgrade 6, sum 16 (1 additional IPC compared to directly buying minor factory.

Of course, upgrade cannot be done if territory is not able to receive it.

• The capabilities of a combat aircraft are determined by its own design characteristics, not by the size or nature of its target.  I’m not saying that a WWII ground-attack aircraft (a tactical bomber in A&A terms) could not attack a specific factory building, whether it be a major or a minor factory.  What I’m saying is that a strike by a ground-attack aircraft is a ground-attack mission, not a strategic bombing mission.  Strategic bombing missions in WWII were medium-to-high-altitude attacks by (typically) large groups of bombers flying horizontally and dropping large payloads of bombs with relatively low precision against (usually) large targets like cities.  Ground-attack missions were low-altitude attacks by individual planes against individual relatively small targets (like tanks or ships or buildings), often conducted in a shallow or steep dive, and involving small ordnance payloads like a single bomb or a cluster of rockets.  There was nothing “strategic” about strikes by ground-attack aircraft.

• '17 '16

@CWO:

YG’s Military Outposts proposal sounds a bit like the base / training camp idea that was discussed on the first page of this thread:

As a 20 year military veteran and big student of WWII history, I concur the “Military Outpost” is a bit of a misnomer. Perhaps call it what it is… “Military Base” or “Military Depot”.

• Sponsor

I like Military Base… this would be in line with tactical bombers bombing all bases and I’ll leave the minor factory to just strategic bombers.

• Sponsor

@Baron:

@Baron:

@Young:

@Baron:

@Young:

My assumption was to keep proportion with OOB upgrade:
    Minor cost 12
    Upgrade cost 20
    IC cost 30
    So upgrading cost 2 additional IPCs.

From major Factory at 20
    Upgrade 12, sum 32 IPCs (same  as OOB)

From minor factory at 15
    Upgrade 6, sum 21 (1 additional IPC compared to major factory )
    From outpost at 10
    upgrade 6, sum 16 (1 additional IPC compared to directly buying minor factory.

Of course, upgrade cannot be done if territory is not able to receive it.

I dropped the price on all upgrades from 12 IPCs to 10 IPCs… I don’t see myself dropping it more until I play test it.

• Sponsor

Would it be accurate to give UK a military base in Egypt as part of the setup?

• @Young:

Yes.  In my G1940 map analysis, I noted: “Egypt is shown on the G40/2 map as being a British possession, though technically it had been independent since 1936.  British troops occupied the Suez Canal zone only, but by treaty they could re-occupy the rest of the country in time of war.”

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@Young:

Yes.�  In my G1940 map analysis, I noted: “Egypt is shown on the G40/2 map as being a British possession, though technically it had been independent since 1936.�  British troops occupied the Suez Canal zone only, but by treaty they could re-occupy the rest of the country in time of war.”

Thanks Marc,

What about this Soviet setup?… I wanted it to help convey the movement of their production further east as the Germans advanced.

Novgorod - Minor Factory
    Volgograd - Minor Factory (immediately upgraded to a major factory if Ukraine or Leningrad has been captured)
    Ukraine - Minor Factory

…and do you think Leningrad should start with a major factory instead of a minor?

• @Young:

What about this Soviet setup?… I wanted it to help convey the movement of their production further east as the Germans advanced.

Novgorod - Minor Factory
    Volgograd - Minor Factory (immediately upgraded to a major factory if Ukraine or Leningrad has been captured)
    Ukraine - Minor Factory

…and do you think Leningrad should start with a major factory instead of a minor?

I can’t offer detailed comments because I’m crummy at translating historical information into specific A&A game set-ups, given that A&A is so abstracted. But Leningrad certainly was a major industrial city at the time.

• Sponsor

Good enough for me, thanks.

• Sponsor

Does anyone think that Shanghai should start the game with a military base for Japan if Honolulu, and Egypt start with one?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m