Popularity of sending German/Italian strat bomber to can-open for Japan

• '20

Recently read a match in which Zhukov flew German strat bomber to Horn of Africa, to Japanese-occupied Sumatra, to facility-filled FIC. Just curious how many other players fly a European strat bomber to help Japan with undefended transport kills, destroyer blockers, etc.? Something like G2 non-com from sz 97(after crushing brits, assuming Taranto) to any of the three terr. touching sz 76, to sumatra. Of course, this route is only available if brits don’t use bid to crush ethiopia UK1 and if bomber is adequately defended throughout journey. Is this a common move and is it a useful one?

• The bombers are safer flying to Romania, then Japanese occupied China. I’ve personally never done it but it could greatly benefit Japan.

• '20

Are you thinking Yunnan? Or which Chinese terr? India could be aiding China by ground UK2/3.

• '21 '18

G1 Germany buy two bombers.
    I1 Italie captures Syria.
    G2 Luftwaffe (4 bombers, Tac, Fgt) fly to Syria.
    J2 Builds harbor on Hainan and brings loaded TT.
    I2 Italy buy an AB for Syria.
    G3 Bmbs can open SZ37 and land in Siam.
    J3 Japon grabs India.

Works only one time! Still good for the next games to shuttle bombers.

• If I’m sending European bombers to the Pac theater it’s almost always a coup-de-grace on an already-won game.

• '14 Customizer

Once you get them to FIC the bombers can either can-open South Pacific or hit Russia if you have an Air Base.

• I don’t think I would be buying an air bases for Syria w/Italy just to get German bmrs to the Pac. I can see some usefulness of a axis held Syria w/AB to help protect the Italian fleet etc….but the Italians just don’t have expendable income especially early in the game. A carrier would give them better mobility, can come back to the boot for more air cover and costs roughly the same IPCs.  Plus the Brits or Americans would probably be getting a free airbase at some point if on Syria.

Getting Euro bmrs to the Pac via Russia-China as the Germans close in on Moscow is the better way to go IMO. This way you may have an opportunity to SBR Moscow then land in Japanese held China. Plus you may have an Italian bmr in Russia can opening for you that could also make the trip to China pretty easily.

• 1 or 2 Strat.bmbrs are allways good on Pac.Theatre.
    Their presence def. kills the gameflow for the Allies.
    But it is sure an Investment you have to take on Euro Axis side.

• Customizer

I’ve never done it myself although I think about it when I am here on the forum.
    I have on occasion sent Japanese strategic bombers over to SBR Moscow to help Germany out.
    The only problem is when we get to playing a game, Germany/Italy and Japan end up playing very independently from each other. It’s rare that one helps the other.
    Unfortunately, whomever plays the Allies tend to play much the same way which I think results in quite a few Axis wins.

I hope one of these days to play a game and try this strategy out.

• '15 '14

@aequitas:

1 or 2 Strat.bmbrs are allways good on Pac.Theatre.
    Their present def. kills the gameflow fpr the Allies.
    But it is sure an Investment you have to take on Euro Axis side.

This!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m