• Hi, I was introduced to A&A about ten weeks ago, started playing TripleA two weeks later, and I’ve mastered all the '41 and '42 scenarios. On TripleA, I’ve started Global 1940 2nd, Ed. but am overwhelmed at the number of territories and units that go with them. I’m not sure what to really do as the Allies OR Axis. Is there any way to make the transition a bit simpler for me?

• '17 '16 '15

Hi Seattle

YG has made some strategy videos. You will find them helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGow98LUYl4

• '15

You could also try playing Europe or Pacific separately just to get a feel for the differences.

Best way to go about it if possible: play several live games with experienced players

• Also you can observe others’ games and see what they do - between the two you will pick up enough tricks and nuances to become competent. If you don’t know a rule, ask someone.

• I learned by playing triple a - initially medium AI then hard AI and then ever increasing bids against me.

No pressure. Fun.

Does not make you a good player (or it didn’t me!) but gave me the basics.

Then find a human opponent on this board to play by forum.

Merry Christmas! Just waiting for my slap up breakfast ….

• '15

One of the worst things you can do is play multiple games against the TripleA AI. It teaches you awful habits. A couple of times to get a feel for TripleA itself? Sure, go nuts. After that, I’d suggest playing around with real people only.

Speaking of which, if you want a game, just send me a PM on the forum. I enjoy playing with new people.

Nippon’s suggestion of doing europe or pacific only is a great one, and I second it. Global is an entirely different animal than either half by itself, but playing one half of the board greatly reduces the complexity (and time) and lets you start to wrap your head around what is going on. The lessons you learn in Atlantic or Pacific are, by and large, relevant to global as well.

• build the cheapest units and move everything towards the sound of guns :)

• @Nippon-koku:

You could also try playing Europe or Pacific separately just to get a feel for the differences.Â

Best way to go about it if possible: play several live games with experienced players

You can’t beat the experience of playing with flesh and blood players, good way to make friends.

• '15

@ABWorsham:

@Nippon-koku:

You could also try playing Europe or Pacific separately just to get a feel for the differences.�

You can’t beat the experience of playing with flesh and blood players, good way to make friends.

Exactly.  This is one of the reasons I really don’t play online.  It’s just not the same for me.  I’ve been fortunate to find some great players on this board who have become great friends.

OP, take a look in the find players section and see if anyone lives nearby

• '15

Flesh and blood players are the best. The primary reason: the drinking of beer. Second reason: being able to talk shit directly to your opponent.

• Sponsor

I definitely prefer the table top experience myself… and I’m proud to say that all my posts are discussion based and not play by forum entries.

• I’m going to take the contrary position and say you can get a lot better at the game a lot faster by playing online, simply because it’s much easier to find opponents, you can play whenever you have the time, and games go a lot faster in the vast majority of cases - if for no other reason than you don’t have to physically roll and tabulate dice.

Online = more experience in less time.

In addition, you have an opportunity online that you’ll never get with face-to-face, which is to observe others’ games, save the game history to your computer, study what other people did and how it worked out for them, learn from many more players than you’ll ever meet in person.

I went from ignorant of the G40 ruleset and map to being able to go confidently toe-to-toe with some of the game’s best players in two months’ time online. Granted, it was a pretty intense two months (played 3-4 games a week), and I was a very strong (top 25) Classic player back in the day so I wasn’t starting from scratch, but there’s no way I could gain that experience in that amount of time face-to-face.

A lot of the G40 rules, the only way to learn them so that it sticks is to encounter them while playing, and that’s purely a function of playing as many games as possible. Even with all my prior A&A experience, it probably took a good dozen games just to get a solid grasp of submarine rules, and the strategic and tactical implications thereof, alone.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m