Which of these ideas do you use with the UK, or otherwise?

• Sorry I’ve missed a few days, I just got done moving into my new dorm at SUNY - Stony Brook. Just an hour ago I got internet access.

Anyway, I’m curious about people’s UK strategy. It’s the one country I vary in my play with the most. Which of the ideas above (or other) does everyone prefer? Vote :) In case anyone’s wondering, I’ve used nearly all of the below and I don’t really have a favorite, although the India or Australia IC ideas strike me as a little weaker than the others. My highest success rates have been with bomber or big navy ideas (numbers 2 and 3)

• Just my opinions on this,

Well, I usually go with the classic build AC, transport with the expectation that the US will land figters on it. If by some miracle, my BB survives then I would just buy lots of transports. I think this provides the bet opportunity for an Allied victory.

I generally don’t wait for UK2 to build a Navy as I think the AC with transport, and US fighters should be enough to hold off a second round German attack, at least I’ve never had anyone try to attack on G2 with this. Also, I have plans I want to do and I think its a mistake on the Allies to go slow. They need to stall the Axis as soon as they can, certainly before the Axis reach around 75 ipcs.

I really don’t like the Allied bomber stategy, I think its basically a wash between Germany and UK as far as IPCs and I think Russia won’t be able to hold off both Japan and a weakened but still strong Germany without British troops early as the USA would be hard pressed to both take back Africa and reinforce Karelia before Japan gets rolling in Asia.

I sometimes play the India IC gambit and I find I usually still win, but it takes a bit longer. I will never put an IC on a territory with less than 3 ipcs as you just cannot produce enough to make it worthwhile IMO. With regards to the India transport, there are lots of possibilities. I usually try the Egypt counter attack to hold Africa longer (unless Germany builds in Libya for an extra turn). Sometimes I run it to Australia and try to sneak in with the Australia troops to take Sumatra or even the Phillipines if the Jap player isn’t paying attention (low odds, unless there aren’t any troops there). At least I can distract the Jap Navy with it. Or sometimes I will move it to the N. Sea (takes a while) to help discharge inf to Europe.

I agree that there is a great number of possibilities available for UK to start the game. :)

• While on the subject I might as well mention my father talked to me some about German strategy. He has an idea that 9 inf, 1 armor is a good build first turn (same # of units as 10 infantry but more striking opportunities) and do the usual stuff (take Africa, reinforce Eastern Europe strongly and continue to build infantry if things are not going well or you’re threatened seriously by Russia. If you’re strong and not under any Russian threat then start building tanks as well as infantry and hope you can get enough to hit either Ukraine-Caucasus or Karelia. But he added a new idea: as long as you’re not threatened, on turn 3 or later try to build a fighter at least once a turn or 2 turns. He says that if you can stay strong otherwise, keeping your air force powerful is key so that you can hit transports in the North Sea repeatedly, keeping the UK (and, if their ships share the zone, the US) essentially off the continent. And unless you’ve got several planes left in a battle, simply retreat after all transports are dead, hoping to re-emerge strong enough later to maybe take down the fighters/carrier then (but do it as fast as possible to slow them down even more), and as long as you can keep the UK out of Europe it’s basically both Axis vs. Russia. Keeping in mind obvious facts that don’t really need stating (i.e. use only if Germany is strong in production, don’t use if Russia can seriously threaten Eastern Europe, Germany should build infantry until his fronts are defended sufficiently, etc.) I’d be curious to see how this works. It seems to me like it’d save you the trouble of stockpiling Western Europe. I’d just play against him and let him try it but we can’t very well play right now, since I’m at college and he’s at home.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

No point in a 2nd round attack if the UK has 2 fighters, a carrier and a few trannies. All you’ll do is slow them one round at the cost of your air force.

Though, I’ve heard arguements on NOT attacking the brit fleet at all and just going for Russia’s jugular. Kinda hesitent to do that though.

• My choices here depend on what Germany does. Usually i will build up the fleet, however i do like the idea of an IC in India on occassion. It may not be the greatest strategy most of the time, however there are times when it can be effective, and it also is (IMO) a more fun way of playing, and if you are going for a KJF then it becomes de rigeur.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The problem with an IC in India is that when Japan takes it, they can produce all that much more on the mainland.

Besides, I like to use the Indian forces to reinforce China. Japan has to either attack it, or go around and take that much longer to get to Moscow.

And, should Yakut SSR fall, Russian forces can move to Even and China forces can move to Novo creating a second wall. (Make sure to move US forces first, obviously, so that UK and Russian forces can move before Japan can attack.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m