Improving Italy as a playable Power

• Time and again I find Italy to be too under powered in my local Axis and Allies games. Moreover if their is a six person game Italy is always the last one to be picked. I believe Italy needs a little more to make it playable. I would like all of your opinions on how to achieve this goal without a major game balance issue please.

So far I have only a few Ideas of my own.
    1.Italy gets an extra 15 IPC’s to place units before the game starts. (most be placed in Italy only or adjacent sea zone)(This number could be lowered to 10 for balancing reasons)
    2.Why does Italy only have 2 National Objectives? Lets give them a third. The conquest of Italian Africa aka Ethiopia. It would read if any Axis power controls Italian Africa and the beginning of Italy’s turn then collect 5 bonus IPC’s.

They could both be given to Italy or just one of them depending on what doesn’t break the game

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

• I think most people on this board think the Axis have it easy in this game. Helping Italy  would only make things worse.
    I understand what you mean about the Italian player getting less play and enjoyment out of the game though. Perhaps letting him play/roll all German Med or African units would help. I think Italy’s NOs are strong enough. If you insist on giving it more, however. Then you ought to compensate the Allies.
    Give the US an extra 5 a turn or two more Naval units in the start up. You could remove units from Japan as an alternative.
    Good luck in your decision amd choices.

• As Wittman said, if you are going to add to Italy in a game that favours the Axis already you absolutely have to balance it out on the Allies side.

HOW to go about doing that is another story altogether.

Adding IPC’s or units to the US is probably the best option IMO, though the US can get fairly strong without it.  Removing units from Japan may work better as Japan starts strong and VERY quickly becomes a near unstoppable powerhouse in most games we’ve played.

I agree Italy can be a snooze to play, but on the other hand some games we’ve played had Italy run away with power.  Heck, we had a game where Italy ended up controlling all of Africa, India, Asia, Australia and was a naval powerhouse. How that happened I don’t know, but it was hilarious.

When trying to make one power “more playable” you really do need to consider the relative balance of the game and not just that one power, else you swing the balance further towards one side.  It’s a tough thing to manage.

• I increased Italy’s income in our custom game, then Britain and Russia’s income to compensate. Usually Italy is the banker also - gives them something more to do. I’d like to add a couple of NAs for Italy too, if I can ever find some good ones.

• How about this.
    1. Italy’s first National Objective is raised from 5 IPC’s to 10 IPC’s. (I felt this objective should be split into two or increased in value since it requires both control of land territories around the Mediterranean and elimination of all enemy surface war ships. Thats alot for one Objective. Keep in mind 10 sounds like a lot but Russia also has a National Objective that gives them 10 IPC’s for one Objective.

2.Italy gets a bonus 8 IPC’s to spend before the game starts. It can be anything but must be placed in Italy or Sea Zone 14(where the fleet starts). For balancing reasons Russia gets a destroyer placed in the Black Sea before the game starts (I always felt Russia was missing it’s Black sea fleet). That way both the Allies and the Axis both get 8 IPC’s added to their respective sides.

How do these sound to you. Is it playable, not playable? Should Italy just stick with what it has and become the permanent banker/beer fetcher while everyone else takes their turn.

• Does anyone else like using house rules with Italy?

• I’m toying with ideas for faster games using older versions and more mobile units. The Italians factor into both of my current ideas. The problem is the Girl Scouts of America were a more effective fighting force than anything Mussolini fielded. So much needs modified to make them fun to play in most situations.

The idea of having a successful amateur army was a long dead concept by the time Il Duce took control. Yet there he was trying it. The game tends to reflect that. The problems which arise from having an amateur army are magnified when laid next to a professional army, I.E. Germany. The game reflects that as well. It just does so within the existing mechanics. You can’t always put someone completely inept in charge of Italy for the sake of accuracy.

With all that said I like what you’re trying to do but have little in the way of input. I’m in no intellectual Mecca and playing the latest versions of A&A around here is impossible. I tried to get a weekly board game group started at the local library. The fliers stayed up for a month. Zero phone calls.

• Hey Folks,

a simple way to strengthen Italy without adding too much power to the axis as a whole, might be to remove 1 or 2 Japanese fighters from Tokyo and add them as Italian ones to Southern Italy. (Just an idea that came to my mind.)

Greetings

• Just a suggestion but as I have seen discussed in other subject lines, what if Italy received more of a naval presence…a sub and destroyer at the mouth of the Med. perhaps.  To balance it, give the Soviets a small naval presence in the Pacific.  A sub, destroyer, mayber even a cruiser right above sea zone 6.  This would give the allies a little more in the pacific and rather deminesh a players resources, just add a little to the opponent.  Italy’s navy getting destroyed in the Toranto raid is what makes Italy such a bear to play.  Like IWillNeverGrowUp said, I have seen Italy go nuts before with the right player and the allies looking else where.

• Then concentrate all Italian ships in one SZ (maybe SZ 97).
    Adding more naval strength to Italy will make the Regina Marina invincible.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Dafyd:

Just a suggestion but as I have seen discussed in other subject lines, what if Italy received more of a naval presence…a sub and destroyer at the mouth of the Med. perhaps.  To balance it, give the Soviets a small naval presence in the Pacific.  A sub, destroyer, mayber even a cruiser right above sea zone 6.  This would give the allies a little more in the pacific and rather deminesh a players resources, just add a little to the opponent.  Italy’s navy getting destroyed in the Toranto raid is what makes Italy such a bear to play.  Like IWillNeverGrowUp said, I have seen Italy go nuts before with the right player and the allies looking else where.

Balancing Italian ships with Soviet ships (on the other side of the board) is not really doing any balancing in my opinion. These Soviet units may never see meaningful combat and would probably be sunk, without injury, by Japan before they got out of the Pacific. Even if they did break out of the Pacific it would be at least 3 or 4 Turns before they could get to the Mediterranean or the Atlantic. It would equate to free ships/other units for Italy with nothing to balance it on the European side of the map. (Remember that the USSR and Japan are not at war until one of them says so, so these ships are at least temporarily neutral for all intents and purposes.)

Maybe it is a little cynical of me, but what would be the repercussions of making Italy more powerful? If the reasoning is just so player 6 is a bit more interested in the game, then I think you will be sacrificing a lot of historical accuracy and game balance just to make Italy more ‘fun’. The reason Italy was never a playable Power in the earlier and smaller versions of A&A is because it isn’t on the level of the Big 5. Same for Anzac and China… they are just lighter versions of Italy. IMO the real problem is thinking that Italy should have more stuff or be more powerful than they actually were. I agree that it would be nice to construct your own little Mediterranean Empire with them, but it is difficult to do in the game because it was also difficult in real life.

I have been involved in a recent discussion along the same lines about France. The ‘logic’ went something like: they would never have been included as a playable Power if there was no chance they could ever be played/if they couldn’t actually do something. Then came the reasons why income and turn order should be changed just so Player X (who only plays France) has stuff to do. Ludicrous. IMHO

A sidebar… but I don’t know who in their right mind wants to or would bother playing just France or just Anzac or just China. Doesn’t make sense to me.

I do, on the other hand enjoy playing Italy. It is simple, contained and relaxing. Your brain doesn’t hurt in the process.

• '17 '16 '15

yea Italy can be a bit of a drag, but as L Hoffman points out, that’s kinda what they were. I guess you gotta think of Italy as some sorta designated driver. :)  what I did was make Gib, Malta, Sardinia, Sicily, Crete, Cyprus, Tobruk and Alexandria all worth a buck. I also gave Vyborg, Nenetsia and Bessarabia a buck to help offset some of the Italian bonus.

Not a huge difference but it gives just enough to allow some different builds. If Italy can survive with some fleet turn 1 She’s stoked. If not a mutual destruction with UK can allow for a small naval rebuild protected by German air. She can then capture some islands and will usually hold for a few turns. Allowing her to Bulk up a little more. : )

Anyway I found it to be a fun little boost. :)

@barney:

yea Italy can be a bit of a drag, but as L Hoffman points out, that’s kinda what they were. I guess you gotta think of Italy as some sorta designated driver. :)  what I did was make Gib, Malta, Sardinia, Sicily, Crete, Cyprus, Tobruk and Alexandria all worth a buck. I also gave Vyborg, Nenetsia and Bessarabia a buck to help offset some of the Italian bonus.

I do on the other hand like this idea. It doesn’t explicitly give a whole lot to Italy to begin the game, but it does boost their activity in the Med (more to do) and will result in more income over time. Even though 1 IPC is a small amount, 8 IPCs total for all those territories adds up over time and every bit counts for Italy. Plus it will incentivize battles/activity in some of the territories that actually had quite a bit of it during the war, but in the game are normally ignored (like Crete, Malta and Sicily).

I think this is better than giving Italy 14 IPCs worth (Destroyer+Sub) of actionable units to begin the game with.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I agree with LHoffman wholeheartedly. While true Italy is hard to play, it’s because this is also a game based on WWII. Italy was not very strong, this is shown in the game by their weak economy to start.

I do like playing Italy though. It’s fun with the options at hand. Focus in Russia, maybe attack Syria and into the ME, obviously duking it out for Egypt. Makes for some fun options in my opinion.

That being said, I too like the idea of giving the smaller territories 1 IPC of worth. I think it would give Italy incentive to play out some of those territories. I also have toyed with the thought of giving them another NO of holding Malta, Crete, and Cyprus for +5 IPC’s. Malta was so important in real life and that’s lost a lot in the game.

This can also apply to the Pacific Islands, giving them all 1 IPC, to encourage a bit more meaning. Off topic with that though.

@Chris_Henry:

I also have toyed with the thought of giving them another NO of holding Malta, Crete, and Cyprus for +5 IPC’s. Malta was so important in real life and that’s lost a lot in the game.

That wouldn’t be a bad idea either, even giving one to the UK for having Malta (+others maybe) would incentivize conflict there. I don’t know, that would require some thought. Otherwise Malta is kind of meaningless.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I’d rather add NOs than change territory values, and adding one for all the Mediterranean islands makes a lot of sense. Could be the Italian defense perimeter. On the flip side the UK could get one if the Allies control all the islands, including Sicily.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Agreed, that was my thought as well. Or if not an NO, at least make it a prerequisite for the Allies that they must control Sicily before they can invade Italy.

• I like barney’s idea.  That way who ever captures the territory gets the IPC.  The NO is a good idea as well.  I need to bounce this off our gaming group.  Some suggestions are definately better than others.

• '17 '16 '15

that sounds like a cool NO (Malta, Crete, Cyprus) Chris_Henry. Maybe make it worth 3 ? Or 2 ? That would make all 3 worth a collective 5. I wonder if 5 might be too much.

I agree LHoffman. A small Malta UK NO would be cool too. I wonder how you could word it so they don’t start with it ? Maybe Malta, Gib and Cyprus for 2 ?

• @barney:

that sounds like a cool NO (Malta, Crete, Cyprus) Chris_Henry. Maybe make it worth 3 ? Or 2 ? That would make all 3 worth a collective 5. I wonder if 5 might be too much.

I agree LHoffman. A small Malta UK NO would be cool too. I wonder how you could word it so they don’t start with it ? Maybe Malta, Gib and Cyprus for 2 ?

If Italy takes Malta, Malta becomes a UK NO. 1 buck and the Italian player has to do a shot.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m