Rolling hits and taking casualties or Planes vs Subs

• During combat phase we have always rolled separately for units that require special rules. e.g. aircraft and subs when no destroyer is present.  We just assumed that was how it should be or maybe we learned that in another game.  While reading through the rulebook, I just noticed that that is not how it works if you read it literally.  The rulebook actually says to roll for all units with the same combat value and then assign hits up to the maximum possible.  It says nothing about rolling separately for ships and aircraft.  Am I reading that correctly?

In other words, if I have a battleship, cruiser, 2 fighters and a bomber attacking an enemy battleship and 2 submarines, I can roll 3d6 and 2d6 without worrying about whether it was my ships or planes that hit as long as the number of hits do not exceed the number of eligible attackers. So when I roll 3d6 and roll 3 3’s, the defender has to take his BB and 1 sub since the planes could not hit the second sub.  But if I only rolled one hit, then the defender could choose any unit as a casualty because it could have been my cruiser which scored the hit, regardless of which dice it was. Right?

• Technically i think you’re right but my group had always rolled separately as well. It’s just less confusing that way and eliminates arguments.

• I believe you roll seperately for subs, as explained by the suprise strike phase in the rulebook. However, planes i believe roll with the other combat units. For example, i have 2 fighters and 2 destroyers vs a BB and 2 subs. before the attacker rolls, the defending subs choose to either submerge or strike. If they submerge, they immediatly get put back on the game board. If they choose suprise strike, they roll and if both roll on a 1, the 2 destroyers are removed instantly since subs cant hit fighters. Then, the attackers roll normally along with the defending BB. This repeats until the BB is destroyed.

Sincerely, Hitler

• Official Q&A

Obviously you have to roll separately in cases where it matters which unit(s) scored the hits.  Otherwise, how would you know how to assign the hits to legitimate targets?

• I was hoping you would show up Krieg, with some official answers.  Yeah, I’m being a little bit of a rules lawyer here but making the rules clear is important. Pull up the 2nd edition rulebook and look at page 17, Step 3.  It specifically states to roll all units with the same attack values together and to assign hits up to the maximum legal targets.  Roll your eyes if you like–go ahead–but I think a small caveat should be included in that first paragraph.  FWIW.

Thanks for the official answer, reading the rulebook late I night gave me second thoughts about how we had always played it.

• Official Q&A

I see what you’re saying, but the Rulebook actually says to roll them “at the same time”, not “together”.  So, if you really want to get technical about it, you should roll the dice for the ships with one hand and the planes with the other, making sure not to “cross the streams” (as that would be bad).  8-) :wink:

• Thanks for a clear answer Kreighund. This was a good question that for a moment had me unsure. Perhaps the dearth of answers from elsewhere suggests others felt the same way?

• TripleA

color coating rolling.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m