Global War, 2nd edition - due 1\. November 2015

• There are a lot of interesting information about the upcoming release on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalWar1939/photos/a.237490889682860.50104.237481246350491/807604159338194/?type=1&theater

Including an updated version of the new map:

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

It’s looking good. It will be hard to get used to some ships moving three spaces without a naval base.

I hope they hold to the November release. It would be nice to get this for Christmas!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@koba:

It’s looking good. It will be hard to get used to some ships moving three spaces without a naval base.

I hope they hold to the November release. It would be nice to get this for Christmas!

They said, they play tested it for 2 years, now. HBG says, it will take the players getting used to it, but that the rules are well written.

I’m super excited about it. :-D

• '16

Looks like I may have erred in purchasing the map just last week. This one looks to be even more gorgeous. Le sigh.

• I hope the rules are clearer.

• Does anyone know when we will get to see a better shot of this new map?? Maybe something we can click on to enlarge so as to better see the changes made.

Crap… I wish I had kept up on this. I will need to investigate more myself.

• Looks like more sea zones on both sides. Like that.

• '16

I’ve always wanted to see certain lakes and rivers turned into traversible zones for certain types of units. Specifically, the Great Lakes, the Mississippi, and the Yangtse.

• Aus to are closer to the islands.

The map design and color is beautiful, but I am still trying to get used to the grossly distorted landmasses.

And China seems disproportionately small with how much action may take place there.

• I’ll buy this no matter what but I hope they don’t release it for another year. It hasn’t been “playtested for 2 years” if they are still redrawing territories last month. Also, the rules were never straightened out on 7.2. Read the boards and that’s very clear. 95% of the questions on the boards are actually in the rules but about 3% of the rules are ambiguous and 2% of the rules simply don’t exist. So it doesn’t make sense to release another game until they get the last one right. I’m sure the playtesters and designers know what the rules mean 100% but no one else does. Tear the game down to the basics and build it up slowly from there. It would be worth the wait. You only need 1 great game instead of 5 games that can only be deciphered 95%.

Avalon Hill games are actually 99% clear, but unfortunately not as fun.

Not that it really matters. I will still buy it and playtest it but I wish I didn’t have to.

@billcallaway:

I’ll buy this no matter what but I hope they don’t release it for another year. It hasn’t been “playtested for 2 years” if they are still redrawing territories last month. Also, the rules were never straightened out on 7.2. Read the boards and that’s very clear. 95% of the questions on the boards are actually in the rules but about 3% of the rules are ambiguous and 2% of the rules simply don’t exist. So it doesn’t make sense to release another game until they get the last one right. I’m sure the playtesters and designers know what the rules mean 100% but no one else does. Tear the game down to the basics and build it up slowly from there. It would be worth the wait. You only need 1 great game instead of 5 games that can only be deciphered 95%.

Avalon Hill games are actually 99% clear, but unfortunately not as fun.

Not that it really matters. I will still buy it and playtest it but I wish I didn’t have to.

billcallaway, I understand how you feel about the 1939 rules, but as far as this map, the territories have been in placed for a long time. Their just improving the looks and color. I’ve been to HBG’s warehouse and have seen the map myself, and it is gorgeous.

I’ve talk to a few of the people that are working on the rule set, and they told me they have been working and play testing this for 2 years.

I’m going by what was told to me, but I do know, a lot more time has been placed on this project than any other. The reason I know that, is because they were talking about all those global sets a couple of years ago. Those global sets are all going to be related in some form, to the upcoming map.

I think they learned from the 1939 map rules that they needed to be improved in many ways.

I’m going by faith, that they have improved the rules. I’m sure there have been learning curves along the way, but I hope nothing but the best for this new game, but I do understand your feelings about it.

Cheers! :-)

John

this looks like shit, Africa looks retarded and adding Antartica is stupid.  the land masses don’t look right, I mean Afrika is larger then both NA and SA put together. China is way to small

I like the extra sea zones, But sorry this map is definitely not for me

Yeah, I don’t understand the need for Antarctica. Africa looks ridiculous and China is unbelievably small.

Am I imagining things or has GW39 2nd Ed. been developed with the intent to proceed beyond the scope of WWII? Into the Cold War.

Guys, no matter how you look at it, it is a preference thing. Some will like the map and some won’t.

The whole plan for the future of the game is to eventually start in 1850 with your pieces on the map and wind up with modern day pieces on a modern map.

During World War 2, Germany and the UK had bases in Antarctica. Germany had a colony their as early as 1938, I believe.

Supposedly, their was a conflict their that was so secret that the US did not know about it, but the UK did. The UK wanted to stop Germany and their experiments they were doing down their.

HBG wants to do an expansion set reflecting the tension that was going on there, that very few people know about.

I think it would be fun, but it sure isn’t going to be everybody’s cup of tea. I think the reason Africa was made bigger, is because there will be expansions reflecting the war in Africa.

Since there wasn’t much fighting in the Americas, I think they had to sacrifice some looks to the map to bring these conflicts, more room to fight in. This is just my theory on it.

I’ve been keeping up with it, since the beginning, and I’m excited about it, but I realize that not everyone is going to agree with me, but we all got our likes and dislikes. :-D

Ah HA! So I was correct.

This is where a fundamental disconnect will occur between people who think the 1850-1990? 2000? idea is freaking awesome and those who just want to play WWII. If the map is being made with intentions to be pre-during and post WWII, there will have to be exceptions and generalizations to geography. I have no idea how they plan to execute such a far reaching game in a comprehensible fashion. Shifting geo-political borders on a static map may only be the most obvious problem they have to deal with.

More power to them and I hope the mechanics make for a fun game. However, if I am looking for just a WWII A&A map, I may need to look elsewhere. Seems very odd that they would call this a 2nd Edition of Global War if it is really a totally different game.

In terms of strictly a strictly WWII game, I think Antarctica is a totally insane inclusion.

@LHoffman:

Ah HA! So I was correct.

This is where a fundamental disconnect will occur between people who think the 1850-1990? 2000? idea is freaking awesome and those who just want to play WWII. If the map is being made with intentions to be pre-during and post WWII, there will have to be exceptions and generalizations to geography. I have no idea how they plan to execute such a far reaching game in a comprehensible fashion. Shifting geo-political borders on a static map may only be the most obvious problem they have to deal with.

More power to them and I hope the mechanics make for a fun game. However, if I am looking for just a WWII A&A map, I may need to look elsewhere. Seems very odd that they would call this a 2nd Edition of Global War if it is really a totally different game.

In terms of strictly a strictly WWII game, I think Antarctica is a totally insane inclusion.

LHoffman, Coach can explain it better than I can, because he and the team are working on all these ideas. I don’t know if all the time periods will be on this map, or if there are pieces that will go on top of certain sections of the map or if there will be maps for other periods.

I just know that Germany and Britain were in Antarctica during World war 2 and towards the end of the war US started to investigate it, as well.

This maybe just a World War 2 map. That part, I 'm not sure. I do know there are three start dates of 1936, 1939 and 1942, so for all purposes, it probably is just World War 2 for now, but if want to know more about it, I would call coach before you buy it. he will be happy to explain his intentions for the map. He is very easy to talk to.

There number is on his website.

Cheers. :-)

John

@LHoffman:

Oh ����…

Check out what I found.

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Proposed-Games_c_550.html

Yes, see that is what I’m talking about. They are getting customer input as well, because they want everyone to enjoy a slice of pie. :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m