New game called: Battle of France 1940

• The Battle of France 1940

In this new tabletop battle, the command of the Allied or German armed forces is placed within your hands. It is not a command without major decisions. The Ardennes Forest is unguarded but dense and slow-moving. The Maginot Line is well guarded but lacking strategic positioning. Brussels seems to be on the brink of collapse. These factors plus the fog of war will test the strategic mind of each player.

The Battle of France 1940 shows the German advance circa June 1940. It pits the German armed forces against those of France, Britain, and Belgium (for simplicity Belgium and Britain are represented as one). This game takes the Axis and Allies basic combat and movement structure, but adds new combat rules, a different game layout and a set of unknown variables via Combat Cards.

Game Features

• A detailed map showing the historic territorial advance of the Whermacht circa June 1940, it includes major and minor cities, rivers and sea zones

• Extra rules that showcase the historic element of the Ardennes Forest and the Maginot Line

• Combat Cards that simulate the fog of war and the new challenges faced by the troops each turn; ensuring no two games turn out the same

• Unique combat rules mimic the Blitzkrieg system of warfare used by the German army

• Special combat features include: divisional singularity, German tank superiority, air support, and new retreat rules.

• Game playing time is approximately two hours

• Can be played by two or three people

In Depth look:
    Combat Cards are a set of cards that influence the game and force commanders to make new plans on the spot. These cards can ruin even the most carefully laid plans by influencing movement, attack values, technological advancements, morale and more. These factors make every turn different, and every game even more varied.

Divisional Singularity, German Tank Superiority and Air Support all deal with a new kind of combat where more emphasis is placed on single divisions fighting as a whole by themselves. German Tank Superiority shows the historical fact that the German tanks were better equipped (with radios) and better manned (extra loader inside the tank). This fact plays a role in the defense values of Allied tanks compared to German ones. Air Support showcases the revolutionary idea of Aircraft used as a mobile artillery unit, able to attack anywhere and at any time.

All of these changes create an new feel and play style different than other A&A games, while still adhering to the familiar combat style and piece sets. This is more than a variant, but rather a whole new type of game, much like D-Day and Guadalcanal in some ways.

I have just completed my website to showcase the game:

BattleofFrance1940.com where there are images of the board map.

Thanks,
    Freddy

to contact him just PM him from link below

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=189751

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

This looks interesting. Thanks for sharing IL. :-)

• Thanks Imperious for posting the links on my behalf!
    If any of you have any questions for me, feel free to PM me at any time!
    Thanks,
    Freddy

• So, where do I buy the map ?

@Narvik:

So, where do I buy the map ?

Go to BattleofFrance1940.com. You will find out all the information there.

• @John:

@Narvik:

Nice, mr Brown, I didn’t see that coming. IL must have edited in that address just after I read his post. Will go there now ASAP.

@Narvik:

@John:

@Narvik:

Nice, mr Brown, I didn’t see that coming. IL must have edited in that address just after I read his post. Will go there now ASAP.

I’m glad I saw it.

Cheers!

John

• Customizer

Best soundtrack for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBC1jmisl9Q

@Flashman:

Best soundtrack for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBC1jmisl9Q

That is a nice find! :-)

• I listen to film scores on the side, (Hanz Zimmer for the win) and this one seems to fit pretty well with the game as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6BCj1Yesvc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzE4cKps1IE
    From “Gears of War”
    Any feedback on the game/soundtrack selection is appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Freddy

@Freddy:

I listen to film scores on the side, (Hanz Zimmer for the win) and this one seems to fit pretty well with the game as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6BCj1Yesvc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzE4cKps1IE
    From “Gears of War”
    Any feedback on the game/soundtrack selection is appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Freddy

I like Gears of War, so it works for me, on both of these scores. It gives it a action packed score for sure. :-)

• UPDATE!

The Battle of France 1940 is officially on sale! I have updated my website: BattleOfFrance1940.com accordingly.
    There are two options for purchase:
    One is a complete set with units for the French, British and Germans, the board, rule book and combat cards. The pieces are not original, and are the exact same as the ones in both editions of Europe 1940. For those who already have those pieces, the second option includes the board, the rule book, and a complete set of combat cards.

Now is the time to ENGAGE. ATTACK. CONQUER.

Freddy, I actually played a little last night of your game. Germany won initiative. When you do your combat moves, some of the German troops are far back enough, where they don’t see action immediately.

My question is, you do move all troops, first, before any combat, whether they are in combat or not, right?

The next question, on Division Singularity battles, do you do the complete battle with one territory, and if the attacker loses all his troops, then is this when another territory can attack the same place?

Did I read that right or not?

If you move the troops on the combat move phase, and they initially didn’t get to fight the first battles, and they are in place to fight Division singularity battles and tank Blitz battles, can they go ahead and do these special attacks, since they are obviously in place, at this point?

Sorry, just trying to figure how movement and these special battle situations work. :-)

Thanks,

John Brown

PS France will have the initiative next time I play.

• John Brown,
    First, some of German units that are stationed near the back and not near the front lines can still make attacks usually. Tanks and Mech Infantry can move three, and infantry, artillery and AAA can move two. So perhaps the movement rules are throwing that a bit off.

Second, in the scenario where the German units attacked allied forces and are destroyed, yes another zone can attack this same territory again. However, the combat move phase is much different than the A&A system in that you DO NOT MOVE ALL YOUR UNITS INTO COMBAT AT ONCE. Move one “division” and resolve combat immediately, THEN you can move your other units and resolve combat one-by-one.

Just FYI, There are some german units that cannot take place in battle immediately, don’t move them before move/combat phase. “Combat move/immediately resolve combat” phase still goes before non-combat move

EXAMPLE: If you have some units attacking a territory, resolve combat immediately; If you lose, you can bring more units from another zone in to attack that same territory. Even if that division loses, you can bring in another division, and another until you win (or just run out of units! hahaha  :evil:)
    ON THE FLIP SIDE, if you win with that first attack, the second division of units (lets say made up wholly of tanks) can move three spots: One into the zone just cleared by the previous attack, and then TWO MORE ZONES to attack a territory or city further into enemy territory.  
    If that doesn’t clear the combat up, I’ll be more than willing to try and explain it in more detail again. If anyone has any more questions I am always here to help clarify. Thank you for your question, John.
    Thanks,
    Freddy

@Freddy:

John Brown,
    First, some of German units that are stationed near the back and not near the front lines can still make attacks usually. Tanks and Mech Infantry can move three, and infantry, artillery and AAA can move two. So perhaps the movement rules are throwing that a bit off.

Second, in the scenario where the German units attacked allied forces and are destroyed, yes another zone can attack this same territory again. However, the combat move phase is much different than the A&A system in that you DO NOT MOVE ALL YOUR UNITS INTO COMBAT AT ONCE. Move one “division” and resolve combat immediately, THEN you can move your other units and resolve combat one-by-one.

Just FYI, There are some german units that cannot take place in battle immediately, don’t move them before move/combat phase. “Combat move/immediately resolve combat” phase still goes before non-combat move

EXAMPLE: If you have some units attacking a territory, resolve combat immediately; If you lose, you can bring more units from another zone in to attack that same territory. Even if that division loses, you can bring in another division, and another until you win (or just run out of units! hahaha  :evil:)
    ON THE FLIP SIDE, if you win with that first attack, the second division of units (lets say made up wholly of tanks) can move three spots: One into the zone just cleared by the previous attack, and then TWO MORE ZONES to attack a territory or city further into enemy territory.  
    If that doesn’t clear the combat up, I’ll be more than willing to try and explain it in more detail again. If anyone has any more questions I am always here to help clarify. Thank you for your question, John.
    Thanks,
    Freddy

Thanks Freddy! I’ll try that again. :-)

John

• No problem, John!
    If you have any more problems, feel free to ask questions!
    Hope everything goes well,
    Freddy

• John Brown,
    Just in general, the defending power is always still “in the battle”, even if the opposing player is the one attacking. Remember, that after the first round of combat (Germany attacks, then France/Britain defends) the defender can RETREAT his/her units so to reinforce another territory or to escape a certain loss. So in the previous example, if Germany attacks and is sure to win, the french defender can retreat after the first round of combat. OR he can continue on if he so chooses, but it is an option.

The game is built upon the “blitzkrieg effect” of rapid movements into enemy territory, and the opposing ability to escape and retreat when in a losing position. If the rules (on pg. 7, 12) are not clear, please tell me because I will need to change that for subsequent editions.

Sorry, but I made a mistake in the last post, AAA guns only move one space, not two. Sorry about that
    Thanks,
    Freddy

@Freddy:

John Brown,
    Just in general, the defending power is always still “in the battle”, even if the opposing player is the one attacking. Remember, that after the first round of combat (Germany attacks, then France/Britain defends) the defender can RETREAT his/her units so to reinforce another territory or to escape a certain loss. So in the previous example, if Germany attacks and is sure to win, the french defender can retreat after the first round of combat. OR he can continue on if he so chooses, but it is an option.

The game is built upon the “blitzkrieg effect” of rapid movements into enemy territory, and the opposing ability to escape and retreat when in a losing position. If the rules (on pg. 7, 12) are not clear, please tell me because I will need to change that for subsequent editions.

Sorry, but I made a mistake in the last post, AAA guns only move one space, not two. Sorry about that
    Thanks,
    Freddy

Somehow, I missed that section on page 12. I will definitely have to reread that for sure. If I have any more questions, I will be sure to ask.

Thanks again, Freddy! :-)

John

• Hey Freddy, Can ships retreat? Also sometimes if ships can retreat, can they retreat forward, or do they have to go back?
    Just trying to understand. Thanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m