• Weapons Development

1.  Super Submarines (revised)
    Your submarines are now super submarines. They attack on a 3 and may not be attacked by enemy aircraft when alone or in company with other submarines, unless an enemy destroyer is present.

2.  Combined Bombardment
    Your destroyers are now super destroyers. They may like battleships, conduct shore bombardment during an amphibious assault at an attack roll of 3 or less.

3.  Jet Fighters (revised)
    Your fighters are now jet fighters. Their defense increases to 5, and they may intercept bombers (including superfortresses) in a SBR.

Bomber Interception: This battle last for one cycle of combat only. The defender declares intercepting fighters before any defending AA guns fire. Intercepting fighters attack on a 3 were as the bomber defend on a 1 (2 if superfortresses), after any AA fire. Any fighters used in a interceptor role may not also defend in a regular land attack against that same territory on the same turn.

4.  Long-Range Aircraft
    Your fighters are now long-range fighters, and your bombers are now long-range bombers. Your fighters? range increases to 6. Your bombers range increases to 8.

5.  Heavy Bombers
    Your bombers are now heavy bombers. They roll two dice each in an attack or strategic bombing raid (see Special Combats in Phase 4: Conduct Combat), but still only a single die on defense.

6.  Rockets (revised)
    Your antiaircraft guns are now rocket launchers. In addition to their normal combat function, they can reduce enemy industrial production. See Special Combats in Phase 4: Conduct Combat for more information.

7.  Heavy Artillery
    Your artillery are now heavy artillery. They attack on a 3.

• Rockets is clearly the most inferior (and was in normal AH rules, except maybe Jet Fighters).

A quick fix-allow multiple rockets to fire at the same complex, but follow the same max damage rules as LHTR (ie: No more IPC dmg from SBR and Rockets combined, than the total value of the territory).

Not sure if this would be unbalanced or not, but it would definately get it out of the Sh*tty category (but maybe to far out).

• @Raarrne:

Rockets is clearly the most inferior (and was in normal AH rules, except maybe Jet Fighters).

A quick fix-allow multiple rockets to fire at the same complex, but follow the same max damage rules as LHTR (ie: No more IPC dmg from SBR and Rockets combined, than the total value of the territory).

Not sure if this would be unbalanced or not, but it would definately get it out of the Sh*tty category (but maybe to far out).

Wouldn’t such a quick fix strongly favor Germany, only Germany can reach three IC’s with a damage equal to each territory’s value and it is almost only Germany and U.S. that can afford any development costs, but U.S. is not in a good position to get the full potential of such rockets!

• How about replacing the Rockets development with an advantage for Germany, since it is almost only Germany that strongly favours this development?

V2 Rockets
    Guided missiles were one of Germany’s most important technical achievements during World War II.
    Your antiaircraft guns are now rocket launchers. In addition to their normal combat function, they can reduce enemy industrial production. See Rocket Technology in A&A Classic.

• Mr. Andersson, I like the idea about replacing the Rockets development with V2 Rockets! I think it is splending, and not very much more than your variant of Superfortresses with an extra die in a SBR! You are my idol! :wink:

P.S. If you will ever make an expansion for your rules, I can help you with the graphics design, I have many ideas D.S. :D

• Both rockets and super DDs seems not to be worth the money under any circumstances, but for Germany (rockets)! So super DDs is my vote!

IMO it isn’t that good to have this extra punch in an amphibious assaults that anyone would pay some 30 IPCs to develop it! :-? Ok for Japan then, if they got the Tokyo Express advantage! But IMO Japan cannot afford it anyway!

• You’d actually be amazed at how effective Combined Bombardment was in some of the games i’ve played for the US. It allows MASSIVE Naval bombardment, and with 3 movement, it means new Destroyers can be off the Coast of Japan/Western Europe in 2 turns!

a Fleet of Destroyers and Transports with Naval Bombardment in the AH rules is pretty good in and of itself-3 movement is icing on the cake.

And in reply to you Adersson, YES, that fix would favor Germany, but Rockets has always been a German tech, due to their # of AA guns, and their placement. I just think it may be a bit much to be able to hit Britain for 8 each turn (assuming they get the tech and all that Jazz).

Giving it to Germany free turn one via Nat’l Adv may be a bit much as well. It mean Russia and England will ALWAYS be down a couple of IPC’s, automatically, from G1 on.

• @Raarrne:

Giving it to Germany free turn one via Nat’l Adv may be a bit much as well. It mean Russia and England will ALWAYS be down a couple of IPC’s, automatically, from G1 on.

Not really since I use the rules for Rocket Technology that are used in A&A Classic. That means one rocket strike per turn that destroys 1D6 IPCs! Not that big advantage I guess! That is almost the same as one infantry unit for free, like Conscripts or BCT!

V2 Rockets (replace Luftwaffe Dive-Bombers)
    Guided missiles were one of Germany’s most important technical achievements during World War II.
    Your have one free rocket attack per turn against an industrial complex, fired from one of your antiaircraft guns with a range of 3. Roll one die to determine how many IPCs the enemy must surrender to the bank.

• I voted Heavy Tanks, obviously not because of the inferior part, but because it seems ridiculously powerful. C’mon, a unit that costs 5 IPC’s but defends on a 4? Wait… that just might make Germany’s job a little easier. :D All joking aside though, I do have a question. How would you roll for Heavy Tanks if it’s the seventh tech? Or are you talking about replacing one of the old ones with this new one? I saw that most people voted nay to the rocket tech, but I enjoy it! It may not be the first one I go for, but once a nation is a little more secure than what it starts with, who can argue with the ability to make an opponent lose IPC’s from up to three spaces away, which can’t be prevented?

• Rockets with Germany may be among the strogest WD there are. There is nothing inferior about hitting Russia/Caucasus with three rockets a turn when Russia will, most likey, be economically disadvantaged already. Test it. Give Germany rockets next time you play. When Russia only had 10 or 15 IPCs to spend every turn, you’ll see how powerful Rockets can be. If anything German rockets are too powerful…

• I jsut wanted to note that I was aware of the errata regarding rockets that limits the amount of times any given IC can be hit. This changes things a little, but rockets are still pretty solid with Germany, assuming a good roll. But I’ve never been big on WD in general, it’s too risky and additional units are too important.

• @Alcibiades:

I jsut wanted to note that I was aware of the errata regarding rockets that limits the amount of times any given IC can be hit. This changes things a little, but rockets are still pretty solid with Germany, assuming a good roll. But I’ve never been big on WD in general, it’s too risky and additional units are too important.

That said one know that there has to e a bigger incentive for techs - the pay off is simply not good enough! The true problem lies in not making them to good and not too cheap! Today I found the original rule for Rockets too lousy!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m