• Hello, I’m new here, any help or feedback would be very appreciated.  :-)

I played a A&A Classic 2nd Ed (1986) game with some mates yesterday and I have a question on a situation we got stuck with.

Basically, Japan had squandered his battleships and was without surface vessels. The US placed a submarine in the vacant seazone around Japan. Japan was stuck because it could not attack the submarine with the substantial air units on Japan, and the player was a bit frustrated as a result. The only way out was to build a battleship or submarines to place at the end of the next turn (allowed under the amended rules at end of rule book).

Did we play correctly to the rules? If I understand correctly, submarines are unable to be attacked by air units. Therefore, marauding submarine units can only be countered by other subs or battleships (expensive).

Thanks in advance,

Keith

• Official Q&A

Welcome, yeomans!

Submarines can be attacked by air units in this game.  Of course, they will only get one shot before the sub(s) can withdraw.

You may be thinking of the rule that says subs can’t hit air units, or you may have read something concerning later versions of A&A in which air units are unable to hit subs without a friendly destroyer present.

• Thanks Krieghund !  :-)

• @Krieghund:

Welcome, yeomans!

Submarines can be attacked by air units in this game.  Of course, they will only get one shot before the sub(s) can withdraw.

You may be thinking of the rule that says subs can’t hit air units, or you may have read something concerning later versions of A&A in which air units are unable to hit subs without a friendly destroyer present.

The underlined portion was a totally new thing for us when we started playing 1942.2 (after playing the classic version for so long).  I can see the idea behind it though.  Helps preserve the sub a bit better from what we’ve seen.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m