• Hello all, :-)

i have a question regarding Submarines.

Last game following situation occurred:

RUS is at war with Germany.
    There was a Russian sub in SZ 125 for a Convoy disruption against Germany(Norway).
    The German had a Sub in the same Sea Zone to deny the Russian 5PU NO.
    Both Subs were always submerging.
    After a while i decided to get rid of the German Sub as UK Player and moved a UK Destroyer into SZ125.
    The German Sub is forced to fight my Destroyer. Which role does the Russian sub has in this Situation? Is it allowed to join the Battle and help its UK Ally against the German Sub? Is the Russian Sub being ignored in the Fight?

• 2024 '22 '19 '17 '15

If Germany attacks your DD (Germany’s Turn), the Russian Sub will defend as well, since both are allied.

If the UK destroyer attacks the German Sub (UKs Turn), then the DD will fight alone against the German Sub and the Russian Sub will stay completely outside of the battle. This is since never ever can a combined force attack another power.

Every factions attacks on its own. Weather or not friendly units are present.
    Similar example would be: US aircraft carrier which has an UK fighter and an US Fighter loaded. If being attacked, both planes would start and defend the contested Seazone.

But if the the carrier attacks some german ships, the UK fighter will remain on board the Carrier and not start to fight. It will be treated as “cargo” - like infantry on a transport… and will have to hope that US wins the fight.

• Thanks for the quick Answer Elrood! :-)

I Still find this Rule a little Strange. So the Allied Fraction just stands beside the Sea Fight watching the Battle and drinking some Beer?.  :|

Anyway since we play by the Rules we have to respect that. :-)

• 2024 '22 '19 '17 '15

@Celvus:

Thanks for the quick Answer Elrood! :-)

I Still find this Rule a little Strange. So the Allied Fraction just stands beside the Sea Fight watching the Battle and drinking some Beer?.  :|

Well, if that helps, imagine a vast seazone where the UK DD and Russian Sub are not in some battle group but actually far away from each other.  :-)

@Celvus:

Anyway since we play by the Rules we have to respect that. :-)

Good choice, there is nothing against house rules, but I would not mess with something integral like that. The befits of mixed fleets are already crazily good.

for example. UK / US fleets mass in SZ109 or 110. You think Berlin is save since you have a DD in SZ112 and few troops in Denmark, and have not many troops in Berlin (may be even none).
    Then:
    US fleet takes Denmark and after that UK goes into baltic sea and attacks Berlin, killing Germany most likely with that move. - Axis have no way to interact between US and UK moving… so its really nasty.

That happened to more than one inexperienced player, since it takes some time to “see” these possible scenarios.  :wink:
    Just to let you see the possibilities

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m