• 2007 AAR League

Who do you guys think is the most powerful country in the game? In other words, who is the country who takes the most I.P.C.'s and racks up the most capital kills in most of your games.

• @UKcommander:

Who do you guys think is the most powerful country in the game? In other words, who is the country who takes the most I.P.C.'s and racks up the most capital kills in most of your games.

Most IPCs would be Germany for the Axis and US for the Allies! And Germany racks up the most capital kills in most of my games! But for what sake is it iteresting? :-?

• Japan.

If the Axis win in my games, it’s because Japan has sacked Russia.

• I would say the weakest countries are the US and Japan since they are the furthest away from the center of the board, and are island nations. The most powerful is probably Russia or Germany since it is very unlikely either nation can be beaten one on one. That is not only is Russia hard to defeat for Germany and Japan, but also for the Uk and Germany in the free for all mode.

• 2007 AAR League

I’d have to go with the UK for the Allies and Germany for the Axis. The UK has the best chance, probably, of taking both Berlin and Tokyo and the Germans are in range of all three Allied capitals.

• A strong Japan can beat all 3 allies on its own, with Ger down, so Id say Japan is the strongest.

• Tisk, Tisk Alex you really think a strong Japan can take down all three Allies when Berlin has fallen. I’ve found this not to be true unless the Japs can take Moscow very soon after the fall of Berlin. Remember what the emperor Nuno said about the weakest countries, and how America was actually the weakest.

• Between you and me, the US ist they key most of the time when its Jap vs the rest, so I hear ya when you say US is weakest. I have taken advantage more often than not (I had expected these opponents to see the problems coming). I think you have to very very carefull to say the least when you are fighting a strong Japan, even when Germany is down.

I think when determing the strongest country you might need to define what you are looking for. Strong in attack, strong in defense, strong in the beginning, strong in the end, flexibility etc.

A.

• See I’ve found a way lately in which the Allies can surrender Moscow and still win. It’s very hard to set up, and I wouldn’t advise it for anyone that isn’t very experienced in the game but I do think you can lose it and still win.

• I’ll vote for Japan for slightly different reasons… They are not sandwiched like Germany between Russia and UK (and feeling US heat by Rd2). The Japanese start with the best fleet and the most opportunity to grab land in Asia. They may not capture many capitols, but they cause the fall of a couple. They make it easier for Germany to take Moscow and/or London. And if things get out of control fo the Allies, they can threaten the US significantly later in the game.

I enjoy playing Japan when I can for that reason. They have the most potential to dominate the outcome of the game.

• Between you and me, the US ist they key most of the time when its Jap vs the rest, so I hear ya when you say US is weakest. I have taken advantage more often than not (I had expected these opponents to see the problems coming). I think you have to very very carefull to say the least when you are fighting a strong Japan, even when Germany is down.

Would you clarify this please? What do you think needs to occur for Japan to be strong enough to hold out once Berlin has fallen and its 3 on 1? I have my own ideas but I’d like to hear what you have to say.

• I must decline respectfully. There are a few pearls I dont want to share and this is one of them. What I can share is that part of it is the surprise effect, part of it is a strong (inf) presence in Asia and an important part among others is flexibilty….

• I must decline respectfully. There are a few pearls I dont want to share and this is one of them.

You know this sounds like something Nuno would say, and you may be quite good, but you are not Nuno good.

Well would you at least agree that if Japan can’t take Moscow very soon after the fall of Berlin that their cause is hopeless.

• True, this sounds a bit like Nuno, with one difference. This must be about the first time I have made a reserved response, where Nuno does this all the time. :)

As far as your comment: I dont agree

btw, did you base your player strength judgement on analysing our dicelogs?…. ;)

• btw, did you base your player strength judgement on analysing our dicelogs?….

Not entirely of course. Nuno has shown an ability to defeat quality players during the CLIT, and has always maintained an impressive win loss percentage.

As far as your comment: I dont agree

Well that’s great you talk about how you want to have a good discussion, but then purposely stop short. Why did you bring it up to begin with. Surely you had to know I would ask questions about that.

• If you would read this thread a bit mor closely you would see that a lot of it is already out there. I am not going to spell it out more.

Japan and US are the most powerful countries in the game since neither needs much support to get going and their capitals are isolated and safe from any invasion. They can solely focus on offense and a single front.
    Plus Japan’s income always hits 40+ and stays there, while the US’s stays in the 30’s.

Russia and Germany are weak in the sense that they must fight on multiple sides and often All Infantry buys are required just to maintain their borders. They also need help from their Allies. Russia needs UK and US support to hold Kar or even Moscow, while Germany needs Japan to hopefully pressure Russia from the East. While Germany’s income may stay in the 30’s even approach 40, they just have too much to defend to maintain a very high IPC count for very long without Japan. And Russia rarely hits 30 in IPC, and if it does, chances are the Allies are already winning big.

UK is also weak beacause it too relays heavily on its Allies, esp the US, to maintain its world wide empire and keep its income in the high 20’s. UK has the potential to be poweful (as do Ger and Rus) but Africa needs to be secured and you still need US ships and ftrs to keep your fleet afloat.
    UK’s income may also appraoch 30, but they require US support in Afr to get there.

But again, the US and Japan need no help to get rolling. Also, both Japan and the US have the power to dictate what type of game you are going to play independently of their other Allies, based on which front they are going to concentrate on.

• A strong Japan can beat all 3 allies on its own, with Ger down, so Id say Japan is the strongest.

Without tech ie HBs I don’t think so. Is this your secret? You’re not the first to play a tech strategy. This statement is the most revealing in of itself because it indicates you believe the Japs can actually capture 2 capitals and win w/o M84. At first I thought perphaps you were advocating a M84 push with Japan which I think given the right circumstances would work. However, unless Russia sacks its army to destroy the Wehrmacht and America screws up I don’t see this as happening. IMO the way to play against an isolated Japan is to push for tech because you can afford it and they can’t. Further, if Moscow holds it is going to be very hard for Japan to SBR the Uk unless the Brits take Berlin or SEuro, so I prefer to take these for the US especially because when the US has them it pushes their income over 50 making it that much harder to Nuke them. So in my opinion the way to play America is to swing the fleet to the Med(if possible) build some guys, but concentrate on getting major techs, and leaving the stacking to Russia/Uk. However, I would add that often I don’t stack with the Uk either. The most important thing is to reduce Japans options ie their versatility as you call it. When I think of versatile units only two types come to mind, navy and air. So I consider it paramount for the Allies to target the Jap navy early and often once Berlin goes down. Even if I can’t kill them I want to make them retreat back to the FIC/JapSz corridor. Once this happens Africa and Asia become much easier to deal with.

If you would read this thread a bit mor closely you would see that a lot of it is already out there. I am not going to spell it out more.

And as I said before this is weak, especially when no other AAMCers or other club participants come here. I already have my own ideas I just wanted to compare them to yours. In the case of Nuno et al they have a very strong win % as both the Allies and the Axis. IMO this is the most key stat as it shows an ability to win regardless of dice, a point Nuno made often. I used to believe a bid of 23 was unbeatable, however recently I’ve played games where I lost 4/9 of the Allied airforce on turn 1 yet still won decisively by turn 6. While you are a good player I am unconvinced you have as much insight as you claim because of your win/loss %. If you could/have tried some of these ideas against the likes of Aramesh/JFink and had success then my scepticism would be reduced, but until then.

• Japan and US are the most powerful countries in the game since neither needs much support to get going and their capitals are isolated and safe from any invasion. They can solely focus on offense and a single front.
    Plus Japan’s income always hits 40+ and stays there, while the US’s stays in the 30’s.

No they aren’t the strongest because they are so far from any other capitals, and this is why they can so readily concentrate on offense. The nearest capital to the US is the UK which is 2 turns away, Berlin is 3, and Russia is 4. This reflects how long it takes newly created troops to go from being produced to reaching these vital fronts. The US like Japan is a big island, and because of this it is very easy to defend, but it is also very hard to mount an ongoing offensive, especially if you don’t get sufficent help from an Ally. IMO production is not as important as many make it out to be. For example, which is better off Germany with 40 or Japan with 40. I’d take Germany every time. In fact how much production must Japan have to equal Germany with 40, my guess would be close to 60.

Huh??? About the turns. It takes Germany 3 turns to get to Kar, 4 to get to Mos and vice versa for Russia. And with the UK navy in the UK sz it takes them 3 to get to Kar as well. Turn length has nothing to do with strength of country.

Japan and the US are strong precisely because they are isolated and their Capitals are never in threat of being taken. After Turn 2 Japan has minimum 34 IPC and one focus - get to Moscow! While the US will have 32 IPC and its 6 trannies and one focus - get Germany!

It is very easy to mount an offensive with both Japan and the US. One focus, get infantry to your front.
    Japan - turn 1 buy trns, inf. Turn 2 buy trans, inf. Turn 3 buy trans and inf. Turn 4 buy inf. Turn 5 etc…
    You have a massive economic machine flowing.
    US - turn 1 buy trns, inf. Turn 2 buy trans inf while setting up the train from US to Canada. Turn 3 buy trans and inf. Turn 4 buy inf. Turn 5 etc…
    The train is set up and now every turn you have 10-12 inf going to Europe.
    Again, you have the economic machine of the US flowing.

The question was which is the strongest country, not which country starts out the strongest.

I think you have your numbers backward for Germany and Japan. Say 42 IPC - 14 inf. Germany must divide the 14 between Afr, WE, EE Whereas Japan can throw 14 inf right at Russia. Japan is stronger that way. Germany is the one that needs the 60.
    Japan can get away with far less IPCs than Germany. Germany just has too many fronts to cover to be the game dominator. As does Russia, and the UK needs too much help to be considered a singular powerhouse.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m