• My family plays Catan monthly. We play the regular game. The only addition we have is the two played expansion.

My question is, which expansion would you recommend.

You guys are my gaming advisory board.

• @ABWorsham:

My family plays Catan monthly. We play the regular game. The only addition we have is the two played expansion.

My question is, which expansion would you recommend.

You guys are my gaming advisory board.

KNIGHTS AND CITIES

By far the best Expansion for Catan. Although, Seafarers is a good expansion too.

• Star Trek ?

• @Imperious:

Star Trek ?

That is a distinct version of the base game although I think it got an expansion.

• I have Catan Settlers, Seafarers and Knights & Cities, all expanded to 6 players and play twice per month.

Not tried Star Trek, which I believe to be a separate game, as someone else has said.

To my mind the best Catan game is one that combines all three, which creates a much more interesting game with multiple paths to victory.  However I think that Seafarers is logically the first to add to Settlers, as it develops existing concepts rather than creates new ones.

Cheers
    PP

• Just to add that played a game with one of my two groups last night and asked them.  Universal answer:

Knights & Cities more interesting than Seafarers.

But combining both of the above with Settlers is the only way to keep this game interesting.

In which case Seafarers first makes more sense.

• @Private:

Just to add that played a game with one of my two groups last night and asked them.  Universal answer:

Knights & Cities more interesting than Seafarers.

But combining both of the above with Settlers is the only way to keep this game interesting.

In which case Seafarers first makes more sense.

I have both, and both together is certainly better than just Knights & Cities.

But If I had to choose between the two, I’d still say Knights & Cities is better.

Funny, no one seems to have mentioned Traders & Barbarians or Explorers & Pirates… Nobody has them, or nobody likes them?

• Customizer

I know it’s really different by my wife picked up the USA trails to rails spin-off. We havent played it but if it’s as good as it looks well probably pick up the merchant’s of Europe game too. There is anothoer game in the series but I think it’s OOP that is based on Germany.

My first experience playing Catan and it’s expansions was not a good one as I really dislike the people I played it with some initial and it was a bit of a rollover so it left a bad taste in my mouth.

That said I saw an expansion that made me want to give it another go that involves sea exploration and combat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m