• '17 '16 '15

I know this has been discussed before.

Getting ready to test a A0 D1 M1 C2 in the global game. To avoid defensive stalemates I’m going to limit their numbers. Thinking country specific would be the way to go.

First thoughts are:
    Germany 6
    Russia 12
    Japan 6
    US 8
    China 6
    UK 4
    UKP 2
    Italy 4
    ANZAC 2
    France 4

They seem kinda low but I’m worried about a huge stack in Western Europe and Moscow. Chinas’ population should dictate more but we don’t want to cork Japan too much. This should benefit both sides. Even if countries go with a max buy they still get punished on the counterattack a little.

Maybe limit the number you can have in any one territory as well?

If you have an opinion I would be happy to hear it.

P

• @barney:

I know this has been discussed before.

Getting ready to test a A0 D1 M1 C2 +1A when paired with artillery unit in the global game. To avoid defensive stalemates I’m going to limit their numbers. Thinking country specific would be the way to go.

First thoughts are:
    Germany 6
    Russia 12
    Japan 6
    US 8
    China 6
    UK 4
    UKP 2
    Italy 4
    ANZAC 2
    France 4

They seem kinda low but I’m worried about a huge stack in Western Europe and Moscow. Chinas’ population should dictate more but we don’t want to cork Japan too much. This should benefit both sides. Even if countries go with a max buy they still get punished on the counterattack a little.

Maybe limit the number you can have in any one territory as well?

If you have an opinion I would be happy to hear it.

P

I say France should be raised to six. Gamewise, it allows 6 militia as a possible buy when France is Liberated. Historically, it could represent the French Resistance joining the Allies.

• '17 '16 '15

sounds good to me amanntai :)

I was trying to reflect their populations somewhat. I ended up giving China 8. Just started my test game a round ago. I think it’s gonna add a little variety without nutting things up too much. :)

• @barney:

sounds good to me amanntai :)

I was trying to reflect their populations somewhat. I ended up giving China 8. Just started my test game a round ago. I think it’s gonna add a little variety without nutting things up too much. :)

What are you using for the militia?

• '17 '16 '15

I’m on triplea so just using colored neutral infantry and with the UK and its commonwealth a older infantry.
    Chinese dude slayed on a 1. The first militia kill! :)

• Barney, I’m a fan of what you have presented.  I use something similar but it is primarily meant to represent “last ditch” defensive efforts and lack movement and offensive abilities. As such they only really come into play at the end of a game or when a country is on its last legs:

MILITIA

A:0
    D:2
    M:0
    Cost: 2

Limit: 1 militia unit per territory IPC value. Can only be mobilized in home territories with industrial complexes.

Nice and simple :)

• Customizer

Sounds like a good idea. Always interesting to get new types of units into the game.
    I think you gave Russia too many. They should be cut back to 8. Maybe 10.

• I have also toyed with them only having a defense of 1 when they are on their own but get bumped to 2 when paired with a defending infantry.

• '17 '16 '15

Sounds like a pretty good idea Admiral T. I like the fact they’re limited to the ipc value. Good way to represent the local folks.
    I was thinking for the axis they would mostly use their guys to repel western europe invasions. Although a few on the eastern front where they could trade with air against Russia might be good too.
    The Russians and Chinese probably use theirs’ sooner. India can throw a couple in early as well. Maybe wait until Moscow is threatened and slam a pile in at the last moment when you’re low on dough.
    I thought about having them restricted to their home countries, but I didn’t want to limit them too much. Could represent forced conscription of conquered peoples or weaker minor allies.

Yea Russia may have too many. The thinking was 12 units saves 12 and that would be a extra 4 infantry for Moscow for the decisive battle. I’ll have to play it out and see if it’s too big of a boost.

Thanks for the replies!

• Customizer

So you are treating these like the Japanese Kamikaze? Once they are used, they are gone, right?

I was thinking they would be more like the way some play with special units, like German SS, Russian Guards, etc. The numbers for each country would be the total allowed on the board at any one time. For example, if Germany had 6 Militia units, then 3 get killed, Germany can buy 3 more.

• '17 '16 '15

It’s the latter. I didn’t word it very well earlier.

• @barney:

It’s the latter. I didn’t word it very well earlier.

In my HR I’m using them like the Kamikazi, but I’m using both the attack bonus with artillery and the defense bonus with inf.

• '17 '16 '15

After a few playtests we’re liking this:
    Germany 6 can’t be bought until Rd 6
    Russia 8 can’t be bought until Rd 4
    Japan 6
    US 8
    China 8 ( maybe change to 6 ?)
    UK 4
    UKP 2   can’t buy until at war with Japan
    Italy 4  
    ANZAC 2   can’t buy until at war with Japan
    French 6

Just to clarify if they get killed off you can buy more up to their maximum.

Seems to be helping China the most. They’re still getting their ass kicked but have a decent stack up north. US is basically self enforced on not buying until at war. Italy is kinda low on dudes to start and they were threatened earlier then Germany historically so they get to build right away too.

England definitely had the Home Guard activated,if not at game start right after. Maybe they should be Rd 2 ? Wasn’t sure about Japan but their kinda like US won’t buy until later. That and if the emperor said fight, you’re gonna fight.

I’ll see what happens on the end game since that’s what they’re kinda for. :)

• For me militia is not a good idea. I encourage a big stack of infantry in defence. Personaly i dont like that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m