• Sponsor

Do you like using the green chips in the second edition box sets? does it really work well or is it just another way to provide less product in a game that needs a lot of pieces?. I personally only have the gray and red chips from 1stE, and in the 2nd edition setup I counted a total of 113 gray chips, and 13 red chips needed before a game of Global 1940 2ndE can begin.

Now if I had green chips representing 3 like they want us to do, I only see 4 places where I would use them… the Korea infantry stack, the Holland infantry stack, the Western Germany mech infantry stack, and the UK AA gun stack (let me know if I missed something somewhere).

What I’m really getting at with this topic is… how many combined chips do the Pacific 1940 2ndE and Europe 1940 2ndE games come with? (I have merged many chips together and don’t know the answer to my own question). Also. how many chips do you think it takes to play 1940 Global 2ndE without running out? and which editions in the Axis & Allies family have chips that are compatible with each other?

… Thanks.

• I prefer different colored chips for each nation, so like 8-9 total and keeping red for 5 value chips

• I make the greens count as tens, which saves me time/chips as the game goes on.

• Sponsor

@Imperious:

I prefer different colored chips for each nation, so like 8-9 total and keeping red for 5 value chips

I do something similar when I play my monthly 1 on 1 games away from my custom table with an old friend, we use yellow and black chips for the axis powers, and the gray and red chips for the allied powers… We can’t use them together because my yellows and blacks don’t lock well into the grays and reds.

PS: Don’t mind the second Russian sub on the board, my buddy tried to cheat and sent it through the strait, I instructed him to get his sub back into the Baltic  :roll:

IMG_2196.jpg

• Sponsor

@TheMethuselah:

I make the greens count as tens, which saves me time/chips as the game goes on.

I have some blues for 10s, but I’m missing the greens that come with 2ndE. I got my colored chips from a web site called boardgamedesign.com years ago before I even joined axisandallies.org, and although they are the same size, they don’t lock the way they should. Does anyone know the best way to get extra chips that universally lock with the oob chips? HBG has no stock.

• '14 Customizer

With my magnetic set we use colored chips to reduce the stack size. From my previous post last summer…

With the added new green chip (3) and blue chip (10) I can now represent any unit from 1-20 using between 0-4 chips. Since Global 1940 is very spread out its difficult to determine the quantity of an army from a distance. The various colors, gray(1), green(3), red(5) and blue(10) will now help resolve that problem by reducing the stack size.

1 No chip
    2 Gray
    3 2x Gray
    4 Green
    5 Gray + Green
    6 Red
    7 Gray + Red
    8 2x Gray + Red
    9 Green + Red
    10 Gray + Green + Red
    11 Blue
    12 Gray + Blue
    13 2x Gray + Blue
    14 Green + Blue
    15 Gray + Green + Blue
    16 Red + Blue
    17 Gray + Red + Blue
    18 2x Gray + Red + Blue
    19 Green + Red + Blue
    20 Gray + Green + Red + Blue
    21 2x Blue

As you can see the max stack size for units up to 20 is 4 which is much easier to count from a distance.

Here is a pic of my magnetic chips.

Units
    Grey(1), Green(3), Red(5), Blue(10).

Factory Damage
    Black(1) and Orange(5)

Fuel Markers
    Purple (numbered 1-7) These are my new chips to mark the spaces left that a plane can fly after combat. With so many planes in global 1940 we found it useful.

• I really like those purple chips. That’s a great idea. We always just use dice next to the planes, and it always feels a bit clumsy.

• Sponsor

That’s awesome cyanight, how did you magnitize each chip? and do any of those colors lock with the oob chips, or did you have to replace all the chips in your game set?

• '13

We use different colored chips for each unit type.  I really helps to clean up stack on the board and to tell how many of each unit are in a territory.

white = infantry
    black = tanks
    green = art
    orange = mech
    brown = bomber
    blue = fighter
    yellow = tac.
    purple = navy (we ran out of colors so had to make due).  We keep talking about painting the purple different colors for different ships but never get around it.

We still use reds to represent 5 units any type of unit.

• '14 Customizer

@Young:

That’s awesome cyanight, how did you magnitize each chip? and do any of those colors lock with the oob chips, or did you have to replace all the chips in your game set?

I drilled a hole 3mm in diameter through each chip and inserted a 3mm x 1mm magnet. I placed a small amount of super glue to keep them in place but they are very snug without the glue. Then I placed a small sticker on top and bottom to make it look nice. All the chips are interlocking. I bought the blue, red, orange, black and purple from HBG. Even if you don’t have a magnetic board or magnetic pieces its nice since they prevent the chips from tipping over. The cool part is you don’t have to worry about polarity either because you just flip the chip and then the polarity will match.

• '14 Customizer

@Bar91:

We use different colored chips for each unit type. � I really helps to clean up stack on the board and to tell how many of each unit are in a territory.

white = infantry
    black = tanks
    green = art
    orange = mech
    brown = bomber
    blue = fighter
    yellow = tac.
    purple = navy (we ran out of colors so had to make due). � We keep talking about painting the purple different colors for different ships but never get around it.

We still use reds to represent 5 units any type of unit.

That’s cool Bar, I’d love to see a picture of your game board with the chips sometime :)

• Sponsor

@cyanight:

@Young:

I drilled a hole 3mm in diameter through each chip and inserted a 3mm x 1mm magnet. I placed a small amount of super glue to keep them in place but they are very snug without the glue. Then I placed a small sticker on top and bottom to make it look nice. All the chips are interlocking. I bought the blue, red, orange, black and purple from HBG. Even if you don’t have a magnetic board or magnetic pieces its nice since they prevent the chips from tipping over. The cool part is you don’t have to worry about polarity either because you just flip the chip and then the polarity will match.

Cool, so all chips from HBG will lock with oob chips?

• '14 Customizer

I had problems with the Red chips from the OOB. The might have been from an older AA set Im not sure.  All the HBG chips I got worked with the grey ones.  They are very cheap. I think 50 for $3.

• Customizer

@cyanight:

I had problems with the Red chips from the OOB. The might have been from an older AA set Im not sure.  All the HBG chips I got worked with the grey ones.  They are very cheap. I think 50 for $3.

You got the HBG chips to interlock with the OOB chips? I had a problem with that, both red and grey. Also, some OOB chips from older games won’t work properly with OOB chips from some newer games.
    Anyway, I really like the chips I got from HBG so I got some in all colors and just sold off all my OOB chips. Also, like you said they are cheap so I got a lot of them. I got 6 tubes of white, 3 each of red and blue and one of all other colors. I even have these neat little Plano cases to hold them. Here are the values I give them:
    White = One
    Red = Five
    Blue = Ten
    Yellow = Twenty
    Green = Fifty
    Black = One Hundred
    Orange = Five Hundred
    Brown = One Thousand
    Purple = Five Thousand
    Pink = Ten Thousand

Now, of course everything past green or black I got more for novelty than actual use, but they are there anyway. Could you imagine an infantry unit with a pink chip under it? An infantry stack of 10,001! How many rounds would it take to build up a stack like that? And what kind of stacks would an attacker have to have in order to chew through such a stack of infantry?

Anyway, Young Grasshopper, I would strongly suggest switching over to the HBG chips. Then you would have plenty of chips that all work together. You could sell off your OOB chips on eBay and make a little of your money back too. Well, that’s up to you anyway.

DSC05509.JPG

• Sponsor

KNP, do all the HBG chips lock well with each other the way oob chips lock with each other, in other words… is the HBG quality as good as oob?

• '14 Customizer

I just checked my chips and matched them up with each other to see if they all interlock.  The red, Blue, Green and Grey all interlock.  I checked my order history on HBG and the only two I bought were Red and Blue.  So the Green and Grey are OOB.

Here are the order number and prices for the chips.
    Order ID      Description                Price
    Chip_Blue    50 Blue Plastic Chips    $2.49   
    Chip_Red    50 Red Plastic Chips    $2.49

I didn’t check the black and orange because I don’t use them with the other colors but they do interlock with each other.

• '14 Customizer

Another nice thing about the chips being magnetic is if you want to pickup a chip off the board you can use another chip to pick it up by just hovering the chip over it.  Sometimes its hard to pickup a chip if the area is cluttered or you have big fingers, hehe.

• Customizer

@Young:

KNP, do all the HBG chips lock well with each other the way oob chips lock with each other, in other words… is the HBG quality as good as oob?

Oh yeah. All the HBG chips interlock with each other, all colors. I’ve gotten great use from the white, red, blue and yellow. As for the higher colors, I checked them out when I first got them and they clicked together just fine.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

@Young:

Oh yeah. All the HBG chips interlock with each other, all colors. I’ve gotten great use from the white, red, blue and yellow. As for the higher colors, I checked them out when I first got them and they clicked together just fine.

So it’s probably best to not use the oob chips at all and replace them with HBG chips considering how few you get oob, and the fact that they don’t lock with anything out there. Could be a conspiracy theory, but maybe HBG is out of stock on gray and red axis and allies chips on purpose just so we all buy their other chips :)

• Customizer

@Young:

@knp7765:

@Young:

So it’s probably best to not use the oob chips at all and replace them with HBG chips considering how few you get oob, and the fact that they don’t lock with anything out there. Could be a conspiracy theory, but maybe HBG is out of stock on gray and red axis and allies chips on purpose just so we all buy their other chips :)

Ha ha ha! Well, maybe so but I like them anyway and I don’t mind supporting HBG for them to keep making the great sculpts we all want. Plus I like the bigger variety in colors.

One thing I’m curious about. How many of you use a “3 count” chip and do you think it really helps out on the game board? It just seems like an odd number to me and would make things a little more hard to figure out at a glance. I guess once you got used to the color it wouldn’t be so confusing. Is it for game board aesthetics or for a limited number of “1 count” chips?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m