Advice needed - contents of the box enough?

• Hi Everybody and thanks for taking the time for reading my questions.

I�m looking forward to buy “Wizards of the Coast 39687 - Axis und Allies 1941” from amazon in germany (where i�m from) for 30 Euro�s which is much cheaper than any other Version but still not cheap for a game. Now reading in the revies there makes me struggle.
    They say it�s way to less in the box to play it right, to less of everything?
    Of course u can add our own made money and also here there is many great things for Downloading and adding, but when it comes to the Units then I don�t see where to get the ones I would need and also why being forced to buy things which should be in already.
    I�m also interested in upgrading the game with artillery as it seems to be not a part of it, but making the game much more balanced.

Now u could maybee say i shall rather buy a big version of the game, but honistly, it�s hard to find someone playing with you if you need like 1 day for a game and probably 2 games untill you play with a normal flow instead of checking rules.
    Is there maybee an older Version better than this new one? Or maybee it is even worth it to buy a big version and then print out the map and rules for the 1941 Version? The map I�m planing to print my own anyways just because i also heard many people saying it is to small arround japan and mediteran sea.

And a last question so far: If I may change my mind on buying a big version for myself and a 1941 for my nephew, what�s the best amount of players in the biger Versions like 1942 2nd / 1940 2nd Europe or Pacific?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Cheers Richard

• Morning Richard.
    I would suggest 1942 2nd Edition for you. There are 5 players and any number between 2 and 5 will work. 1941 is very basic, but it is still a lot of game for €30. Maybe it won’t bother you that WofC have skimped on pieces. We here on this forun are not normal people and know too much about WW2 to be happy with a basic entry game. But we all bought it, as we are collectors! Don’t buy 1940 just yet.
    If you don’t mind spending double the money, get 1942. Otherwise, try out the cheaper 1941. Please tell us what you think.

• I think 1941 is good game for us newbies to wargames. I too find it hard to find people to play with and this game takes about 3-4 hours for me to play.

It offers enough challenge and tactical choices, even though I agree the map is too small

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m