• Just saw Fury with my father. Good movie. The tank warfare was great. I will not disclose any further information, don’t want to spoil.

• I think it is out on the 20th here. I have arranged to go and we sit with my sister in law’s boyfriend on the 4th November. Looking forward to  seeing Tiger 131 (again).
    Hope the family have been well Worsham.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Seen it last night.  Entertaining I guess but there isn’t much point to it.  The Beast was a much better movie with similar story but more sophisticated.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The Beast lol…

“Is it sand? or is it stone?”

“… it’s stone”

RATATATATATATATATATTA “Aaargh”.

lol

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I like the Beast just because it was made back when the Taliban were on our side (or were we on their side?).  Anyway Fury is a pretty good war movie.

• '14

Just saw Fury also.  I give it a 8 out of 10.  I wonder if we killed as many Nazi’s in during the war by hip firing as they did in the movie.  Great tank battle though.

• @pfc_pander:

I wonder if we killed as many Nazi’s in during the war by hip firing as they did in the movie.Â

Clint Eastwood did even better in “Where Eagles Dare”.  There are scenes in which he fires two sub-machine guns simultaneously: one in each hand, and held out at arm’s length if I recall correctly.

• Can’t top John Wayne riding at Robert Duvall and his henchmen with the reins between his teeth though.

• @pfc_pander:

Just saw Fury also.  I give it a 8 out of 10.  I wonder if we killed as many Nazi’s in during the war by hip firing as they did in the movie.  Great tank battle though.

The statistics of casualties from WWII says that 60 % were killed or wounded by artillery shells. 10 % by Tanks, and 10 % by aircrafts. 20 % were killed by infantry weapons, but I don’t remember the exact numbers. Machinegun fire killed more men than minefields. Hip firing with sub-machine guns was a typical close combat weapon to use in towns and cities. The same with hand grenades, bayonets, fieldspade and battle axe. Sniper rifles took some % too. I figure less than 5 % were killed by hip firing in the real war, but in Hollywood movies maybe 80 %. Looks cool though…… Kids love it

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Killed, and Wounded are also two different things.

• '14

@Narvik:

@pfc_pander:

Just saw Fury also.�  I give it a 8 out of 10.�  I wonder if we killed as many Nazi’s in during the war by hip firing as they did in the movie.�  Great tank battle though.

The statistics of casualties from WWII says that 60 % were killed or wounded by artillery shells. 10 % by Tanks, and 10 % by aircrafts. 20 % were killed by infantry weapons, but I don’t remember the exact numbers. Machinegun fire killed more men than minefields. Hip firing with sub-machine guns was a typical close combat weapon to use in towns and cities. The same with hand grenades, bayonets, fieldspade and battle axe. Sniper rifles took some % too. I figure less than 5 % were killed by hip firing in the real war, but in Hollywood movies maybe 80 %. Looks cool though…… Kids love it

I get hip firing with submachine guns or automatic weapons at close range and maybe even at mid/long range.  Hip firing a semi auto rifle (M1 in this case) I don’t get.  Looks dumb in movies when they do it.  At least no one was pulling grenade pins with their teeth.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m