• Me and my buddy Adam514 play global very frequently and the more we play the more the Axis advantage become apparent.  We take turns playing each power and the bid is adjusted +1 or -1 depending on who won the last game.  If the Axis win, the allied bid goes +1 for the next game. If the Allies win then the Allies receive -1 next game.  We play low luck and started the bid at 13 and it has reached 21 with the last Axis victory over a 20 allied bid.  Here are the results so far:

Adam514 Axis victory (13 bid)
    Pherman1215 Axis victory (14 bid)
    Adam514 Axis Victory (15 bid)
    Pherman1215 Axis victory (16 bid)
    Adam514 Axis victory (17 bid)
    Pherman1215 Axis victory (18 bid)
    Adam514 Axis victory (19 bid)
    Adam514 Allied victory (20 bid)
    Pherman1215 Axis victory (19 bid)
    Pherman1215 Axis victory (20 bid)

3 Allied wins in the 15 games played so far.  A few of the games were 15+ rounds, but the majority of them weren’t really that close.  Axis were walking over the allies pretty hard.  2 of the 3 Allied wins were games where the Axis player made a pretty big mistake that let the Allies gain the upper hand and the mistakes could have been avoided.  Our most common bid is 3 Anzac (inf NG), 6 UK (sub SZ 98), 4 UK (art in Alexandria), 6 UK (Tank in Egypt).  But we have tried many other bid variants and none of them seem to really get the Allies in the game effectively.

• I am not a fan of the build in NG, too cheesy.  Bidding in territories that don’t have units in them seems silly.

• Try taking 3 planes off Japan. One of each, I would say.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Pherman and Adam seem to have a pretty good idea for game groups who only play live.  If all the players are about the same skill level they will come to some equilibrium and balance things out to suit them.  My guess is that if the group has really good players the bid will be on the lowish side and if they are still new the bid will be higher (because playing the allies is much harder for a new player than the axis).

I agree with ghr2 on bidding an infantry in New Guinea or British Guiana - gross.

• Sponsor

Everyone agrees that the oob rules are not worth playing anymore, I mean why spend 10 hours of your life watching the Axis execute the same winning strategy? With that being said, everyone has their own solution for better balance, mine is to modify the whole production system.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=34493.0

• We aren’t playing OOB.  We play 2nd edition.

• Pherman: 2nd Edition is better, but is still Axis biased. Most here will only play the Allies with a bid of 12 or more. And some think 20 is more realistic.

• '15

And I’ve noticed a trend that the higher up you get in terms of player ability, the larger bid that is required for Allied parity.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@ShadowHAwk:

Try adding some chinese inf. If you can add only 1 unit add it to the burma road. It will take away at least 2 more ��� units.
    Try adding extra units in UK in defence of the standard attacks that germany does, a fighter in schotland would be painfull, a destroyer near the cruiser off gibraltar.

How about a inf for china, 1 fighter in schotland and a sub in the med for a 19 bid.
    The attacks germany can do against your fleet off schotland becomes pretty interesting that figher will take 1 or 2 airunits with him at least.

If you place a fighter in scotland I assume you are more or less “forced” to scramble all 5 planes (Scotland and United Kingdom) if Germany attacks both fleets?

• @oysteilo:

@ShadowHAwk:

Try adding some chinese inf. If you can add only 1 unit add it to the burma road. It will take away at least 2 more ��� units.
    Try adding extra units in UK in defence of the standard attacks that germany does, a fighter in schotland would be painfull, a destroyer near the cruiser off gibraltar.

How about a inf for china, 1 fighter in schotland and a sub in the med for a 19 bid.
    The attacks germany can do against your fleet off schotland becomes pretty interesting that figher will take 1 or 2 airunits with him at least.

If you place a fighter in scotland I assume you are more or less “forced” to scramble all 5 planes (Scotland and United Kingdom) if Germany attacks both fleets?

I would assume the goal would be for Germany to make a choice on which fleet to kill, and for the UK to have decent odds to do some damage in one of the battles, if Germany tries for it all.  If I were to get an 18 bid, I might try a destroyer in 110 and a fighter in scotland.  If I could place 2 units in a single territory, then a 20 bid would be 2 fighters for scotland.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m