Is the Axis Advantage it's overwheling Air Power?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Axis planes on setup - 35

Allied planes on setup - 27

The more games I play, the more it seems to me that the Axis Advantage is it’s overwhelming air power.

Am I the only one who feels this way? or are there more of you out there?

I wonder what difference 1 less German Bomber, and 1 less Japanese Bomber would make?

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

Axis planes on setup - 35

Allied planes on setup - 27

The more games I play, the more it seems to me that the Axis Advantage is it’s overwhelming air power.

Am I the only one who feels this way? or are there more of you out there?

I wonder what difference 1 less German Bomber, and 1 less Japanese Bomber would make?
    **––Keep your grubby hands off my Japanese “Rita” Heavy Bombers, Gar!
    It’s hard enough on the J1 turn to support the interdiction of the Burma Road + other targets,…so leave my “senioRITA” bombers alone.  :-D
    ----YES, Japan has a large air force from the start,…but IMHO the crust of the problem for Japan is getting LAND forces on the continent in large numbers all the way forward to the action.

Tall Paul**

• Totally agree Garg. And it annoys me.
    Not Germany, but Japan’s 21. I would chop 4 of that number (2Ft and 2 Tac). Having so many planes, means the US/Anzac have to sit off Queensland, just taking one island of the DEI, hoping Japan loses enough planes through attrition, that they can then go on the offensive.

• Customizer

Afraid I have to disagree here. Yeah, I think Japan may have too many planes, particularly when compared to Germany. After all, in 1939 the Luftwaffe was the largest air force in the world, so why does Japan have more?
    As for comparison to the Allies, I think it reflects the historical situation.
    ONE = The Axis on both sides of the world built up huge air forces while the Allies (not including Russia) were slow to start really cranking out aircraft and had to work hard to catch up. As for Russia, while they also built up a large air force and army, most of their planes were obsolete when compared to German models.
    TWO = Both Germany and Japan employed the practice of hitting air fields first thing during their invasions and catching a lot of Allied aircraft on the ground. This would further widen the gap of air power between the Axis and the Allies.
    So, I think a difference of 35 Axis aircraft to 27 Allied aircraft is just about right. It may make it hard on the Allies, but I think that is kind of the point. The Allies are supposed to have a struggle to overcome the Axis. It’s not like the Allies were sitting around and saying “Oh, the Axis are acting up. We’ll have to just stamp them out.”
    Perhaps Japan could do to lose a couple of planes, but I wouldn’t lose more than 2 or 3. I wouldn’t take any from Germany or Italy.

• Hi Knp. Nice to hear from you. You have said maybe 2 planes from Japan.
    That is my minimum and I think it would help.
    Garg were you thinking all 3 nations have too many? I really think it is only Japan.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Maybe the problem isn’t Japan with too many planes, it’s Germany with too few?

• Customizer

@Cmdr:

Maybe the problem isn’t Japan with too many planes, it’s Germany with too few?

Yeah Jennifer, I like the way you think. Hmmm, let’s see, we can add a Stuka to Holland/Belgium, a fighter and bomber to W. Germany, a Stuka to Norway and maybe even a fighter to Romania. That ought to about do it, hee hee hee hee. LONG LIVE THE AXIS!

• Sponsor

I always thought the 4 air units in Manchuria were a little much, remove one chip from each fighter and tactical bomber stack there and the setup would still look good.

When I start seeing Japan pulling out VC win after VC win, I’ll go along with Japan having too many aircraft.  Right now, it is my impression, most victories are still Germany/Italy over Russia and/or England, if Japan wins, it’s more of an accident than a plan.

I could be wrong.

• Russia is too weak once at war, Jen. That is the problem on the European side.
    Germany is collecting more than double Russia’s income after 3 turns of the invasion. Russia should be able to flood its borders with cheap Inf to counter the Mechanised armies of a NO rich Germany and soon can’t even buy 8 of them. Its at war NOs are useless and ahistorical.
    They should mirror Germany’s ones.

Japan having too many Air units and not winning, is because an astute Axis player can hold the Pacific Allies, while the Euro Axis win the game, using those Air units from ABs in Asia. The Pacific Allies cannot get too close too the Coast, for fear of losing their combined fleet.
    I hold with my belief that Japan’s number of Air units is excessive and contributes to Axis victories.

Yes, but no one ever liked my idea for Russian Partisans:

Cost: 2 IPC
    Attack: 1
    Defend: 1
    Move: 1
    (Think Snipers, Farmers with hunting rifles, etcetera.)

That would certainly slow the Germans down and bring some equality to the western half of the board.

But that doesn’t negate that one rarely sees a Japanese VC win despite their overpowering planes.  I think this issue is more due to the fact it’s just impossible to ever take that 30 IPC NO from the United States.  Another thing I tried and lobbied to have altered (move the NO out and spread it out so it was easier for Japan to capture some of those territories that create the income and stop the US from getting it.)

A balance for that might even be Japan gets a 10 IPC for every round that Tokyo isn’t captured (it’s hardly as ridiculous as the US one!)  Would also give Japan some flexibility and with that change, and the extra couple of rounds in the beginning before the US just gets insane incomes, I could go along with removing a few Japanese fighters and bombers from the initial startup.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Would a simple air-for-infantry/artillery IPC swap suffice? Say if Germany or Japan has one less tac bomber and two more artillery and one more infantry. Then again maybe swapping a fighter and tac bomber for seven infantry would be too much. Perhaps it should be for 75% of the value of the air unit.

• In think one of the main reasons you never see Japan win is that the US usually puts most of its money against him, and not G/I.

• '14 Customizer

I agree with ghr2.  USA controls the game and if they place most of their IPC’s in the pacific then Japan is stalled pretty good after round 6.

Which again leads to my initial assertion that it isn’t that Japan has too many aircraft, but rather that Germany does not have enough.  If Germany was more of a threat, then the US might have to split resources more equitably and therefore Japan might have a chance to win every once in a while.

These are just MY opinions and I am not even claiming they are informed opinions but rather speculation based on anecdotal evidence and inferences.

• But it’s not Germany having too few planes to be a threat that makes the US spend mostly Pac side, it’s Japan’s huge number making them a larger threat that does so. Sure, adding some planes to Germany would make them enough threat to demand US attention, but then Japan will most likely be too strong to stop. Removing some planes from Japan also makes Germany a comparably larger threat, encouraging the US to split its income, while making the Axis slightly weaker, not stronger.

• Customizer

I dunno how you fix some of these problems without going into house rules. I think it’s ridiculous though that Russia gets so beat up by the Axis and the US has to always pick the ETO or PTO when historically the US spent very little in the PTO and won. Secondly Russia was weak and under prepared at the start of the war but was able to ramp up their forces. Not sure how I’d fix this without creating a variant or something, but Japan’s air IMO is a bit too strong.

• Customizer

Yeah, I agree with you toblerone77. Historically, the US spent roughly 25%-30% of it’s war output in the Pacific at first. It may have been more later in the war, I’m not sure. Still, like you said, the US was successful in the Pacific at grinding the Japanese back further and further toward Japan itself. Yet in this game, if the US only spent 25%-30% in the Pacific, Japan will be able to match them and still make all their other gains.
    Same with Russia. They were beaten really bad and took a lot of losses in men and equipment in the first 6 months or so. Then they got it together and launched fierce counter attacks with lots of reserve troops from Siberia. Also, their production steadily increased from the Urals to eventually overwhelm the Wehrmacht. Yet in this game, Russia seems to get beaten back to Moscow to make a last big stand. In the process, Russia makes less and less money, thus they produce less and less. Not to mention the severe Russian winter that stopped the Germans in their tracks and probably saved Russia from final defeat.
    Of course there are house rules to turn to. I have seen some covering the Russian winter. I’m not sure how you would be able to simulate the Russian production actually increasing later in the war or the US defeating Japan with a fraction of what they spent against Germany with the way the game mechanics work. At least not without making it unfairly balanced against the Axis.
    That is something I find interesting about this game. Both the Axis and the Allies can win and there are strategies for both that are WAY different from how it actually went down. I’m not even sure that you could play a game that went like the actual war.

• Thanks for all your posts guys. Is good to see we think alike.
    I think I prefer the 42 scenario, because you can maKe it closer to history. Italy does not feature in it, which I like and the Pacific  is already set up for the US to go from the Solomons on.
    Russia should survive too.

• And Japan does not have 21 planes!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m