• Founder TripleA Admin

I’ve been looking into new forum software. Here’s an update.

Last year several new and very viable players appeared, namely Discourse and NodeBB.

• For another project, I set up Discourse.

• Despite some awesome features, I decided that Discourse would not be the best option (for me)
        - It uses PostgreSQL. I use MongoDB on a daily basis.
        - It’s built with Ruby on Rails, I spent 3 years developing with Rails, I’d rather not go back.
        - Plugin development didn’t seem straightforward
        - Theme development didn’t seem straightforward

• On the plus side
        - Replying to forum messages via email. I still consider some days Discourse just for this features.
        - Works flawlessly on tablets and mobile.
        - A focus on self-moderated communities.

• I found NodeBB and have been engaged in their community about the software for several months. In doing so I’ve been able to explore the offering. Version 0.5.1 seems promising
        - Node.js and MongoDB. I use these technologies daily. It just means it is easier for me to keep servers running smoothly and scaling for traffic.
        - Plugin development is well documented.
        - Theme development is well documented.
        - A focus on customizability.
        - Some email alert support in the form of a daily digests. For better or worse, you won’t get a reply every time a topic reply is posted.
        - Has an SMF data export tool

• A few problems
        - The default theme is so-so.
        - Email support is not as robust as Discourse and in some respects the current SMF forum. I’m really worried about daily digests vs. alerts for everything.

• Next steps:
        1. Install and play with NodeBB.
        2. Create/find a dice roller plugin
        3. Create/find a badge plugin
        4. Customize the default theme.
        5. Export SMF forum data and import into NodeBB.
        6. Send out an email to everybody that they will have to reset their passwords.
        7. Disable posting for all boards on SMF except for Play by Forum.
        8. TripleA integration
        9. Disable posting on Play by Forum boards.

As you can see, this is going to take time. If you’re a developer, I can use help with 2, 3, and 8.

• Sponsor

Thanks for sharing all this with us Djensen, and I apologize for any ignorace I have displayed in the past when it comes to this stuff. You are the man with the vision and I truly respect that.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I am up for testing / trialing anything.

• When I joined the forums I was also questioning the activity since it was so divided over many sub-forums. But I believe the nodeBB will help with that issue. Do we have an estimate when it will be launched?

• Founder TripleA Admin

“Do you know if there’s a train coming anytime soon?”

“Oh yes! Very soon! They are building it now!”

:-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m