• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Is this a fair strategy?

G1: buys minor in Romania
    G2: buys carrier and transport in romania, lands two fighters on carrier
    G3: lands in caucasus (+5 NO) (may hold or re-take every round)

Depending on sit. one can land italien planes in caucasus to protect. Also carrier group is not easily sunk by allies

Does this work? and it is worth the spending of a minor, carrier and transport?

Alternatively, buy air base (instead of carrier) and have three fighters to scramble

• '14 Customizer

You could also instead buy an Air Base.  I used to have a strategy I called “Black Tiger” which basically transported Tiger tanks across the Black Sea.  I chose the name “Black Tiger” because “Black Panther” was already used, ;)

i just edited to include air base……but does it work?

• I’ve seen axis place a carrier in the Black Sea a couple times (not done it myself). It is a pain in the but for the allies, but they will kill it eventually sinking some good German IPC’s (loosing some air power). You can get caught up into a mini arms race with the allies to keep your fleet a float, and its generally not a good thing for the Germans to get into a naval race.

The Air base in Romania sounds better to me (with a couple transports in the Blk Sea), because fighters stationed there could be German or Italian, and still attack Moscow when the time comes, or into the Med (extended range), but I’ve not seen this done.

• Customizer

Yeah, it can work real well. For one thing, it will get the German NO for the Caucasus much quicker than they normally would. Also, it would give the Russians another front to worry about and allows Germany to threaten Stalingrad.

• Yeah, the Germans getting into Caucasus for the NO early, and then into the Mid East oil would make it worth it in the long run.

• What if Russia buy a sub in the Black Sea ?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Narvik:

What if Russia buy a sub in the Black Sea ?

That was my initial thought too, against the airbase variant of this strategy, but if Germany simply buys a destroyer, then the Romania planes will scramble when the sub attacks.

• This strategy is interesting, but it takes a good few turns to make up for the investment.

• '15

I’ve seen some people build a major complex in Romania.  I wonder how that synergizes with all this?

• @Herr:

@Narvik:

That was my initial thought too, against the airbase variant of this strategy, but if Germany simply buys a destroyer, then the Romania planes will scramble when the sub attacks.

If Ge buy a carrier and two trannis in the Black Sea, next turn Ru buy 3 subs and land 3 aircrafts in an adjacent territory

Now Ge is forced into a naval race, or lose the investment

@Narvik:

@Herr:

@Narvik:

If Ge buy a carrier and two trannis in the Black Sea, next turn Ru buy 3 subs and land 3 aircrafts in an adjacent territory

Now Ge is forced into a naval race, or lose the investment

Nahh. Are they? the initial buy should be one transport and one destroyer and one airfield. isnt a three sub R buy an easy kill?

• With such a serious threat towards Russia, the RAF has 10-12 spare aircraft (depending on wat was built UK1) which are very easily rebased into range of this area. With an AB in Egypt for example.

• Customizer

Yeah, never said this plan was infallible. However, if Russia is sending their planes to the Black Sea and/or buying subs to sink the German ships, then they aren’t buying as many men to stop the German advance or defend Moscow. Also, if the Russian planes attack and German planes from the airbase in Romania scramble, Russia could very well lose their planes and they are much less able to replace them than Germany.
    So, either Germany gets the Caucasus, expands into the Middle East or threatens Stalingrad OR the rest of their attack on Russia goes along even easier.
    As for UK having 10-12 planes to spare, that sounds like the UK is buying nothing but planes. While Sealion is probably not a threat since Germany is busy with Russia, I would imagine Italy is making advances in the Med that UK is doing nothing about because they are busy defending Russia.

• @knp7765:

(…) As for UK having 10-12 planes to spare, that sounds like the UK is buying nothing but planes. While Sealion is probably not a threat since Germany is busy with Russia, I would imagine Italy is making advances in the Med that UK is doing nothing about because they are busy defending Russia.

UK starts with 10 air total (India included). So if no air is produced, they have 10 air to send. Since they have nothing else to do untill the USA joins the war, I usually have them hangin around in the med. This alone can stop Italy dead, but (again, since the UK has nothing else to do untill the USA joins the war) there can (should) be reinforcements/production in Africa on top of that.

With Germany having a fleet in the black sea in stead of the med/Atlantic, I see no reason why the UK would not have an AB, IC + 13 air (with the French FTR included) in Egypt.

But then again, that is me and my love for the RAF ;-).

• @oysteilo:

Is this a fair strategy?

G1: buys minor in Romania
    G2: buys carrier and transport in romania, lands two fighters on carrier
    G3: lands in caucasus (+5 NO) (may hold or re-take every round)

Depending on sit. one can land italien planes in caucasus to protect. Also carrier group is not easily sunk by allies

Does this work? and it is worth the spending of a minor, carrier and transport?

Alternatively, buy air base (instead of carrier) and have three fighters to scramble

That means, there is no SL to be expected to about 85%??
    So Allied strategy will be adjusted to this situation from almost the beginnig of the game.
    But I agree , that in the long run, Germany will profit from it. Russia now can’ t spread comunisim NO that easy anymore.
    When you play against the cpu (local game) he considers the black sea as a potential threat and covers it sometimes with some naval vessels.

• ItIsILeClerc brings up the point I alluded to earlier. Germany having transports in the Black Sea (either w/carrier, or AB) is a nuisance for the allies, but they will kill any fleet eventually. I can’t see Russia buying subs, and they’re not going to risk air power, so the UK will have to deal with it. Russia will prepare some ground troops to counter attack Ukraine and Caucasus w/air power though, so it won’t be a cake walk.

In this scenario the Germans won’t be threatening London because if they employ this strat they won’t be buying more navy for the Baltic fleet (couldn’t spend that heavy in both places IMO). In order for this tactic to have a chance to work Germany would be buying an IC for Romania G1 (which sends a strong message of Barbarossa), followed by a couple transports and AB or carrier G2, to make landings on G3 (which Russia will see coming). With little threat to London I agree the UK will have some of the RAF in the MED UK1/UK2, probably having done Taranto, and Egypt becomes their base of operations in the Med (maybe having a minor IC and AB by UK2). By UK3/UK4 the RAF will be in position to do a fly-by from Egypt and land survivors near the Russian capital to later def Moscow. An Egyptian AB would be helpful to land deeper into Russia, but a couple carrier planes and bmrs could do the trick too (I agree w/ItIsILeClerc about the RAF in the Med being a lot of fun, and an Egyptian AB helps a lot).

This will be a distraction to the allies though, and might take some of the heat off of Italy. The Germans could get to use the Blk Sea transport fleet 1-2 times before the UK is in position to hit it, but eventually they will. Depending on how much air power the UK can muster up, the axis might not even risk scrambling (unless it is Italian planes lol, the Luftwaffe is too valuable).The Italians can give the German landings some air defense in the Red territories, so it could cost Russia man power which is never good. The UK might be able to send some mech w/air through the Mid East though to re-take Caucasus etc……so it could be a nice distraction (would need to keep an eye on Japan as well).

• Nice thought too Wild Bill!
    Interesting.

I have played around with this and I dont think it is worthwhile. If you buy mech inf in ukraine and volgograd round one as russia (after G1 minor in romania) Russia has all options available with the three planes they have. Caucasus is retaken on R3 and it gives enought time for UK to land at least 5 planes in Egypt end of round 3. For Germany to protect against this they need more navy in black see. Dont need that. Italy MUST take Egypt round two for this to work. REALLY hard to do if you play a decent UK player. But good discussion people!

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Greece is a good place for an airbase.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m