• In the current versions of Axis and Allies historically difficult places to attack like Gibraltar and Leningrad are treated like any other territory. I believe this can be fixed. I also believe that amphibious assaults are too easy for the attacker - in fact they are easier than regular land battles, because of the free shots BBs and CAs get to make without return fire.

I’ve fleshed out some rules here for entrenchment which combine my former posts about entrenchment and the amphibious assault bonus. I think these rules are simple and reasonable, and can help make the any edition of the game more realistic. These brown “dirt” chips can be ordered from HBG - I printed the “E” stickers for them. I was going to use a shovel pic but couldn’t find one that looked right at that scale. The chips are nice and convenient because you can just add another to the top of the stack instead of sliding one under a different symbol.

ENTRENCHMENT

Introduction:
    • Brown colored chips in the game marked with an “E” represent
    entrenchment.Entrenchment represents any trenches, tunnels, barbed wire,
    concrete barriers, etc. built and used by infantry in order to help protect
    defending units. Entrenchment has no defense value - it only helps by absorbing
    hits meant for defending land units.

• During the opening phase of his turn, each player may place one entrenchment
    chip on the map in any  infantry occupied land zone he currently owns. 
    Entrenchment chips cannot be moved once placed. The maximum placed
    entrenchment level for any one territory is 5.

Resolving Battle:
    • When defending infantry are involved, place any entrenchment chips that are in
    the same territory in the entrenchment area on the battleboard. When suffering a
    hit during an attack, you may choose an entrenchment chip as a casualty instead
    of a land unit. (This works with pre-invasion ship bombardments also. You can
    choose an entrenchment chip as the casualty.) Entrenchment chips cannot be
    used in the battle if there are no defending infantry.

• Units other than infantry cannot make use of entrenchment.  In this case, if the
    attacker wins, he would get to keep the unmanned entrenchment for himself.
    After a battle with entrenchment concludes and the attacker wins, 1/2 of the
    defenders’ placed entrenchment is restored to the attacker, rounded down. This
    represents the surviving tunnels and trenches that the enemy can now use for
    himself.

Amphibious Assaults: 
    • All Units (not just infantry) defending against a pure amphibious assault get a
    bonus of 3 entrenchment chips placed on the battleboard during the battle.
    (these bonus chips are not kept on the map like the regular placed chips and last
    only for that battle) These bonus chips represent the extra difficulty and
    disorganization attackers have while wading in to the beach during such battles.
    (No bonus is allowed if the Amphibious assault is combined with an attack from
    an adjacent land zone.) This means a fully entrenched territory facing a pure
    amphibious assault could theoretically be entrenched to a maximum of 8.

• If desired, all entrenchment chips in territories that you have owned since the
    beginning of your turn can be removed during the noncombat phase.

• Historically Fortified zones of the map like Gibraltar may begin the game with
    certain levels of entrenchment. Setup Entrenchment levels:

- Gibraltar: 3
      - Leningrad: 3
      - Caucasus: 3
      - Moscow: 2

• This certainly looks workable, and it would be an interesting supplementary rule.  I have a couple of questions about some of the details:

• “If desired, all entrenchment chips in territories that you have owned since the beginning of your turn can be removed during the noncombat phase.”  What would this represent in real-life terms?  I may be interpreting it wrong, but it sounds like it represents a defender dismantling his entrenchments – in other words, filling in entrenchments that were previously dug.  This sounds labour-intensive, and I’m not sure why a real-world army would do such a thing.  In A&A terms, what benefit would the player get from this?  My first thought was that its purpose was to deploy the chips for use elsewhere, but then I noticed the rule saying “Entrenchment chips cannot be moved once placed” – so I’m puzzled.

• “Historically Fortified zones of the map like Gibraltar may begin the game with certain levels of entrenchment. Setup Entrenchment levels:    - Gibraltar: 3    - Leningrad: 3    - Caucasus: 3    - Moscow: 2”.  The rationale for the application of this rule to Gibraltar, Leningrad and Moscow is clear enough (all three being relatively compact geographic areas that were heavily defended in WWII), but what about the Caucasus?  This part of the map represents a whole region, not a city-sized area, and its defenses were chiefly its mountainous natural terrain, not man-made fortifications.

• Hi Marc -

I put in the possibility of removal of the chips in case the player was faced with a huge attacking force and wanted to withdraw everything but did not want the enemy to capture and use all of his entrenchment. (kind of a scorched earth thing)

I put some entrenchment in the Causasus because on my map Stalingrad is located there. I didn’t put any in Hitler’s Atlantic wall because my map starts in 1942 and the player can always add some later. Plus the German player gets an automatic 3 entrenchment anyway when the Allies try to land from the sea.

• @Der:

Hi Marc -

I put in the possibility of removal of the chips in case the player was faced with a huge attacking force and wanted to withdraw everything but did not want the enemy to capture and use all of his entrenchment. (kind of a scorched earth thing)

I put some entrenchment in the Causasus because on my map Stalingrad is located there. I didn’t put any in Hitler’s Atlantic wall because my map starts in 1942 and the player can always add some later. Plus the German player gets an automatic 3 entrenchment anyway when the Allies try to land from the sea.    Â

Okay, thanks for the clarifications.  About the scorched earth thing, the ideal technique (and I’m just kidding here) would be to wait until the attacking enemy infantry falls into the abandoned entrenchments, then to fill in the trenches by blasting their walls with pre-set charges of TNT.  Sort of killing two birds with one stone.  :-D  In fairness, U.S. troops sometimes used a variation of this technique in the Pacific.  When confronted with a particularly tough dug-in Japanese position that would cost a lot of American casulties to clear by conventional assault methods, the troops would simply use a bulldozer to fill it in or collapse it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m