• Justin - U.K.  Gord - U.S.  John - Germany                                                              May 24      2014

The beaches were reluctantly cleared by the UK first, then the US - clearing the northern blockhouses last.  A steady stream of UK reinforcements quickly captured Caen. Germany saved his ‘flooding the lowlands cards’ until it was of vital importance.

After the capture of Caen the german forces played the move-and-posture game until a weakness opened up. The 'States managed a late game ownership of Cherbourg, but it was defended to the last unit and the potential for a german recapture force was real until about turn 5. The allies hit an astounding ammount of 1’s on their strafing shots however, and with some awesome and timely gambles and relentless backup they almost secured the three cities . . . . .

Caen proved the downfall. An attack on all German troops from UK troops garrisoning Caen and surrounding areas resulted in a fatal loss of troops for the UK in that area of the board. With American troops out of range the UK lost Caen, the Beaches were refortified with a Panzer tank and other units, a new blockhouse (card) and flooded lowlands (card) to prevent the 10 bonus UK troops from landing, the only UK backup was quagmired and by turn 9 Caen was not retakeable.

In review, the US and UK should have acted as a unified force when taking out blockhouses, they never bombed a single blockhouse and Germany took out some serious high dollar targets. Germany attempted to bolster the beaches in Omaha landing but was outmatched by the tactic  - GAMBLE ON ALLIES ATTACK, Win and you attack on a 2, Lose and you can have a soft landing without attack  -  a clever maneuver good sir, well played. The allies lost both bombers and half the airforce. It was Justins first time playing D-Day and like all of us, got a kick out of flipping the cards for the first time.
    Cheers,

Starlight Sniper

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Sounded like it was an intense, fun game. :-D

• It really came down to the German re-capture of Caen. The US was in ST. Lo (which I had abandoned) and had Cherbourg.
    I (Germany)was down to the small move/posture force I had near Caen and between St. Lo. I was shocked to be the victim of the UK attack and was lucky enough to have defened well. This allowed me to re-take the city,quagmire the UK relief and post a heavy new force on the beach thus securing a German Victory.
    We have enjoyed the D-Day edition of the game because it ends after 10 turns and can’t go on till all hours of the night. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of strategy at first, but then you figure out the subtle ways to manipulate your cards, when it’s ok to seek fortune and lose.
    June 6th 2014 is a few days away, try and hit up a game this Friday.
    Cheers[/color[color=maroon]],

Starlight Sniper

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Starlight:

It really came down to the German re-capture of Caen. The US was in ST. Lo (which I had abandoned) and had Cherbourg.
    I (Germany)was down to the small move/posture force I had near Caen and between St. Lo. I was shocked to be the victim of the UK attack and was lucky enough to have defened well. This allowed me to re-take the city,quagmire the UK relief and post a heavy new force on the beach thus securing a German Victory.
    We have enjoyed the D-Day edition of the game because it ends after 10 turns and can’t go on till all hours of the night. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of strategy at first, but then you figure out the subtle ways to manipulate your cards, when it’s ok to seek fortune and lose.
    June 6th 2014 is a few days away, try and hit up a game this Friday.
    Cheers[/color[color=maroon]],

Starlight Sniper

I bought this game a couple a months ago, but haven’t got to play it yet. I really enjoyed your battle report. I will have to give it a try sometime, but have been extremely busy this year. :-)

Thanks again,

John

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m