• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Here’s an idea, in conjunction with the poll thread below, it might be helpful to collect some ideas about the possible bids in the range between 6-12 IPCs. It seems to me that the bid will likely shake down somewhere between 6 at the low end, and 12 at the high end. So what is possible for those numbers?

At 6 ipcs: 2 infantry units, or 1 tank, or 1 sub, or 1 artillery/save 2 ipcs, or 1 aa gun/save 1 ipc

At 7 ipcs: Any of the above + saved ipcs, or 1 infantry and 1 artillery, or 1 transport

At 8 ipcs:  above + saved ipcs, or 2 artillery, or 1 destroyer

At 9 ipcs: above + saved ipcs, or 3 infantry, or 1 inf and 1 tank, or 1 inf and 1 sub

At 10 ipcs: above + saved ipcs, or 1 fighter, or 2 infantry and 1 artillery, or 1 tank and 1 art, or 1 sub and 1 art

At 11 ipcs: above + saved ipcs, or 1 infantry and 2 artillery, or 1 inf and 1 destroyer

At 12 ipcs: above + saved ipcs, or 4 infantry, or 1 bomber, or 1 cruiser

Lets start with the low end at 6 ipcs and go from there. Which options do you like and where would you put the units?

At 6 ipcs, I think I favor 2 infantry. 1 for Egypt and 1 for the Russians, but basically to cover Egypt and then somewhere to enhance the odds on a Russian opening battle. Or 1 sub to use against Japan.

At 7 ipcs, I probably still favor 2 ground much the same as at 6 ipc, except here you’d have an extra artillery piece for the Russians. An extra transport might be interesting, but it would have to be placed somewhere safe and I’m not sure where it would be most useful. I suppose sz 35, 39, 56 and 19 are all possibilities. I have never seen this done in a game, so I can’t speak to it, but those are the only zones I can think of. I guess technically you could put one in sz 4 for the Russians, though I can’t see that doing much good hehe. Of the potential sz for a transport, only 35 allows it to be loaded to the max in the first round. I suppose 56 might work if you want to bring the gun and hawaiian/midway inf somewhere, but 35 seems more interesting for first round attacks.

At 8 ipcs, again I would probably go ground with 2 artillery pieces, though this is the first bid that gets you an option on a destroyer. If DD, you could try sz 11, though I’d worry that G might still take a run on it. Standard bidding rules say that it has to be placed in a sz with units already present, so the options are: sz 4, 7, 10, 11, 14, 17, 19, 35, 39, 53 and 56.

Any thoughts on the low end of the bid spectrum?

I think 9-12 ipcs will give more options, so we can explore that in more detail once we’ve had a good look at the 6-8 ipcs range. Probably the big question for the low end is, which territories can ground be most effective in? Can a transport be of any use? And are there any interesting locations for destroyers (other than the obvious sz 11) where they might have an impact? Is there any argument for saving extra bid ipcs for a first round purchase, and if so what to buy?

At 9 ipcs…

This seems like a good place to settle in on a conversation about infantry, where and how they can be used…

The value of infantry for their cost (at 3 ipcs), over practically every other unit, is something most of us should be familiar with by now. But still, it’s worth considering where they can go on the bid for the maximum attack or defense advantage, and where they can be grouped in adjacent territories to provide the best options in the first round. Which territories do you favor for the bid infantry and why?

9 ipcs is also interesting because it is the first bid which allows for a 1 infantry and 1 sub build, or 1 infantry and 1 tank.

Let’s start with the sub. If paired with a sub, Egypt seems like an ideal location for the infantry, but I suppose its worth exploring alternatives. Is there anywhere else you’d use a sub, other than sz 35/39 to set up an attack on sz37?

How about a sub in sz 14, to set up a round UK1 attack on the German battleship in the med? It can dive immediately, and is immune from attack by air (since G has no destroyer at the start of play.) This could potentially lock Germany off sz 14 for fear of a joint sub/bomber attack. Or it might draw the Uboats off the Atlantic transports in sz 11/10 to serve as fodder in sz 14. Or perhaps force a German destroyer buy in the med, for blocking or anti/sub warfare. A sub in 14 would make a med carrier build without other ships to protect it more dangerous. Maybe a sub in 10? This seems somewhat less advantageous, though I guess it could provide extra fodder which might make it easier to clear the Atlantic of u-boats in UK1, just by keeping the destroyer alive a bit longer in the combat phase. Any other ways you can think of to use a sub?

Tanks… I think tank bids are the least explored so far in 1942.2. This is basically because of their new cost at 6. The advantage of 2 infantry over a single tank is so intuitive and second nature that most probably wouldn’t consider the tank. But a bid at 9 gives you some interesting options. Most standard bid rules allow only 1 unit per territory, but a 9 ipc bid is lowest bid that could get you 2 ground on attack into certain territories that might otherwise be out of range. Any thoughts on how set up a tank + inf bid to maximum effect? Set up out of Russia (Eastern front or Far East)? India? China? Africa?

Just random possibilities that present themselves… An American tank in Szech? Usually it takes the Americans several rounds to get a tank anywhere near this part of the map, might be interesting. A British tank in Persia for immediate support into W. Russia, and for counter attacks against German positions on the eastern front? A British Tank in Burma for an attack on Kwangtung with transported infantry in sz61? A Russian tank, just to have 5 on the board before purchase? A second Brit infantry in Persia, with a tank in India or Transjordan, to reinforce/retake Caucasus with 2 inf and a tank?

I’ll hang here for a moment before continuing, to see if others have ideas. Please feel free to share any bids you like, with the set up and the strategy that accompanies.

10 ipcs

This opens up options on a fighter. Or artillery and a tank, or art and a sub, or 2 inf and an artillery unit. What are some of the possibilities and attacks that a fighter bid allows? One option is on Egypt for the defensive bonus here, and attacks into the med, or sz 37, or for W. Russia support. I’m not sure I see a better option on locations for the British. For a Russian fighter Karelia gives a possible high risk attack on sz 5, otherwise it seems to offer the same options as most other territories on movement. Can anyone think of a better place for a Russia fighter? I can’t really find one that offers much more advantage than Karelia. American fighter? I suppose Szech, or sz 53, though I’m not sure the Americans could make much better use of it than the Russians or the British.

How about Artillery locations? Caucasus and Karelia seem like interesting choices, or any of the Russian territories that border W. Russia. If paired with a tank, other joint locations to set up artillery + tank attacks might be…. Szech/Sinkiang? Egypt/Trans, Persia/India, or Burma/India?

Any ideas for 1 inf + 1 transport?
    FIC, East Indies, Borneo, Kwang, Kiang, Philippines, or Egypt using sz 35? sz 39 (seems risky)? A stronger USA push out of sz 56?

Split bids on infantry and artillery seem a bit more reliable if you’re going ground, since you can distribute across 3 territories, but still get the advantage in one of them with the artillery piece. Whether you weight it more towards the Russians, or the British, likely depends on whether you are focusing on Germany or Japan in the first round attacks. Szech seems the only real location for the American ground. But Russia and Britain seem to have more opportunities since they go before Japan in the turn order. Any other ideas at 10?

The principle benefit I see of a fighter is in its movement, the ability to fly around the board, to set up early attacks and stronger defenses going into the second round, and the cumulative edge it brings on attack/defense for every round it survives on the board. For the same price you could have 3 ground, which allows a stronger push out of the first round, but a fighter can still move 4 spaces each round which gives it more flexibility and potential strategic depth. Over the course of the game, it probably has a better chance to swing the overall total unit value destroyed on attack, or to delay major attack, or to save units defense… This provided it can be kept alive to magnify the impact of the bid over the duration.

• I like a bid of 9 but I almost always give it all to uk 1 inf in Egypt and 1 sub in sz 35 with that bid it makes Egypt safe for at least 3 turns and by that time I have move other units there and kick the Germans out of North Africa and the sub makes the attack on sz 37 a must

• As a general principle, a bid is most useful when used to decide very close battles. Based on the initial 1942 second edition starting setup, the most impactful potential bids are (in no particular order):

1. Destroyer - Increase chances that US East Coast fleet survives
    2. Inf - Defending Egypt
    3. Sub - Threaten Germany Med fleet
    4. inf - Attacking Ukraine
    5. sub - Attacking SZ37
    6. Art - Attacking Belo to prevent germany from stacking Karelia

There might be some okay bids, but these stand out as top tier most effective bids.

Those bids comport well with my own experience… At least, playing games with people who know what they’re doing. :)

I call all those bids, battle breakers, since they are used to disrupt the normal odds on a round one battle (either on attack or defense.) Given the option, I think most experienced players will use their bid this way.

Recognizing the strategic wisdom of such bids, I still think there is something to be said for a fighter bid, because of the cumulative movement and attack/defense advantage over multiple rounds. In a battle breaker bid (with inf or art or subs), you will know the result almost instantly. An extra inf unit might seal the deal and win you the fight, or it might dud completely, either way the advantage is usually expended right then and there, after which point everyone adapts to the results and the new situation on the board. Subs strike me as similar, just in the naval arena. Either its going to hit, or its going to dud, and you will know right away whether the bid had an impact. But a fighter is a little different. It could conceivably just fly around making low risk attacks, and maxing defensive maneuvers for many rounds. Setting up attacks/defenses in the second or third round that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to achieve.

Consider for a instance a 3rd Russian fighter (not that this is the optimal bid, but just as an example). We know on a gut level that this fighter’s impact will make itself felt over several rounds. Considering that, is it better to take a safe 10 ipcs on a unit that you know will survive into the endgame? Or to bid it out on units that you risk immediately to gain an edge in a narrow first round battle? If risking a battle breaker, then you are likely still playing the odds. But sometimes even a strong boost on the percentages could still backfire, as we’ve probably all seen in one of Russia’s opening fights (too many times to count).  :-D

I think about the same thing with the sz37 battle. Is it better to risk the fighter you saved in Egypt on a chancy fight, or to just fly it somewhere it can defend safely and make attacks at no risk to itself? And then I think to myself, “I’d have to conquer France, Northwestern, and Norway to make up the replacement cost of this unit!” So these things weigh on me sometimes haha.

A fighter’s key advantage, beyond movement and defense, is the fact that it doesn’t have to occupy the territory into which it is attacking. So again, using the example of Russia, a fighter could do much the same thing as an extra inf or artillery unit (in Belo say, or Ukraine) but without putting the unit itself at risk on counter attack after the job is done. Of course the instant reply is, “but with the same bid on the ground, you could do this in 3 territories rather than just 1!” Granted, but it might still be worth considering… which bid will have the greater long term effect on game balance between the two sides over successive rounds? I know as Axis, I am always put a bit on edge, if Allies bid in the air, because its harder too see how it might swing things in later rounds. Where it will it land? Always the question on my mind. Not to deter anyone from using the tried and true bids listed above, as the advantages there are clear, but I still thought the fighter was worth a post.

• A fighter bid is suboptimal no matter how you look at it. Take the example of the Russian fighter. Instead of bidding that, give the Russians 2 extra INF and 1 extra ART, then buy the fighter on round 1. These three units will help you more in round 1 then the fighter would, and by round 2, you’ve got the fighter either way.

The same can be said of a UK fighter. You can achieve the same result for cheaper with a sub and an INF. You’ll keep that INF for a long time, while the sub will be taken as a casualty, probably keeping a cruiser alive, and you just buy two fighters on round 1 anyway.

Well I wouldn’t labor too hard to convince someone to bid a single air unit over three ground units :) to me the advantage of the latter is pretty obvious (3 chances to have an impact instead of 1). But rather than being categorical about it, I am trying to consider the potential merits of a fighter. The main one I see is in the movement and the coverage across multiple territories or sea zones.

So using the UK example, an artillery unit in Egypt can defend against a German attack before UK1, during UK1 combat phase it can attack Libya, or in UK1 non com it withdraw to Trans, Sudan, or transport out a distance of 2 sea zones. That is its maximum range. A sub in sz 35, can attack 37 or 61 during UK1 combat phase, in UK1 non com it can move a max of 2 spaces in any direction (including sz17 provided the canal is still open.) But that’s still as far as it can get.

A fighter can get out 4 spaces, so it can potentially land somewhere reaching territories or sea zones in the second round, which a newly purchased fighter (whether in India or UK) would not be able to reach. Even if they are the same essential cost in ipcs, the bid fighter has a greater movement value for this cost since it is on the board from the outset. Production may also play into the decision. For example, it might make sense for UK to buy 2 fighters in UK regardless, in which case the decision isn’t between a fighter or ground, but the decision between 5 total fighters and 4 total fighters (potentially) on the gameboard after UK1 purchase.

You might be able to get a comparable value, or better value on the trade out of a ground bid, or a sub bid, but a fighter might allow you more flexibility to decide what to do after Germany’s turn, rather than before it.

If you bid a sub for an attack on 37 you are pretty much locked in, but with a fighter in Egypt you could decide after you see the German opening. Likewise a sub might keep your cruiser alive after a 37 attack, but the cruiser is stuck afterwards, and may be vulnerable to Japan. A fighter placed in Egypt offers a similar attack potential, but without giving away your plan necessarily, while simultaneously giving you more first round power in the Med. A fighter bid in sz 35 or somewhere else, might allow 2 fighters to escape from 37 (if your carrier dies) to land safely in India. Or perhaps better still, don’t attack 37, and use the fighters instead for other things, that way you can save it to fight over multiple rounds. All these seem pretty workable to me. Whether its optimal or not, I suppose that depends what sort of game you play.

Its not like a fighter bid is so strategically unsound as to put you on the immediate path to losing hehe. It might be sub-optimal for most strategies, but might yet offer some unconsidered advantage in others. The power of air vs ships especially, leads me to think that most players could find a way to make effective use of it, even if the initial gameplan falls apart completely. Which is why I still think its interesting. Or put another way, if my opponent was Allies, I would not be all smiles and confidence if saw them bid a fighter.

Also relevant to the general discussion, though perhaps I haven’t mentioned it specifically… everything I’ve said so far assumes normal dice rules. The situation may be similar in a low luck game, but I would not say the situation translates 1:1 by any means. In LL a single fodder hit, or even 1 extra pip on attack or defense, can take you from something which is “probable” to something which is “guaranteed” 100% of the time. Its a different dynamic and may factor into the decision making process. I prefer dice myself, so that is my focus. A lot of LL principles can be helpful when applied to dice, but they do not translate directly all the time. The bid could be an instance where the difference in play style makes itself felt. I would say in general that the results of the first round battles in LL are more important to the overall game, than they are in dice, and as result the preplacement bid is more significant. Put simply the advantage goes to the first person who wins in LL, and it is harder for underdog to recover from an early swing against them in TUV, because of the cascading effect. So that’s definitely something to consider when it comes to the bid, that would argue in favor of Russian ground, Egypt fodder, or naval fodder to grind it out in 37.

• @Black_Elk:

If you bid a sub for an attack on 37 you are pretty much locked in, but with a fighter in Egypt you could decide after you see the German opening.

I have to disagree about this. A sub in SZ 37 doesn’t have to attack Japan; you can just as easily take your whole Indian fleet and bring it to the Med. You’re still able to threaten pretty much all the same theaters as with a fighter. Therefore I would definitely take a sub and a ground unit over a fighter.

And since I don’t consider a sub and a ground unit to be all that great either (I think 3 ground units are far superior, unless you really want to go KJF), then the fighter bid is out of its league against its competitors. It’s an intriguing concept (especially if placed in Egypt), but in the end it’s just not worth it.

Good point,  from 35 it can transit back to the med, so its not totally locked in, but in terms of combat attacks you basically have only 37 and 61. I think there is probably general agreement that a fighter is not the most potent use of the ipcs.  Playing devils advocate just for the sake fully examining the issue. But I would concede, I am far more likely to bid ground :)

• I found a very interesting opening. take 9 bid, and bid 2 inf for UK and 1 for Russia. Bid inf in caucus, trans, and egypt. Bring 1 Russian tank to trans. You can now bring your UK fleet from the pacific into the med.

• Bad idea. Your fleet will just get destroyed by German fighters + their battleship.

• Only if his fighters are in position, and only if he killed your DD. He can kill you pretty easily, but you will have a carrier cruiser and 2 fighters that he has to kill. That means at least 3 fighters his bomber, if it survives, and his battleship have to hit you for it to be cost effective. If he has that much that can hit your fleet then don’t go into the med. Still a good move as allies regardless. Forces Germany into doing stuff he doesn’t like. Like taking Gibraltar first turn instead of trans.

• '16 '15 '10

So his aircraft would have to be on Southern Europe or Balkans in order to hit the fleet?  I like this idea  :-D.

I’ve only played one game and I’m a little surprised Axis is favored given that tanks are now 6 AND Allies have an perfect spot for invasion in Northwestern Europe.  Seems like Allies have a good shot at defeating Germany before Japan can take Moscow.

However, the starting factories in India and Karelia are great for Axis….

If you guys (ROC and Black Elk) play on TripleA…let’s give it a go sometime.

• Regardless, the inf and tank in Trans-Jordan are not only useless, but counter-productive. All this does is keep the Germans from taking that country, but if he wants to make such a huge mistake, you should let him. That would mean the battleship and transport would be sunk by UK1, with 1 bomber and 2 fighters.

As for going into the med, even if German planes aren’t in range, it’s still a mistake. All he needs to do then it put them in range in round 2, buy a carrier or interpose a destroyer, then destroy you in round 3. Your fleet is dead either way.

And that’s not even counting the fact that by sending it to the med for suicide, you forfeited the opportunity to either attack SZ 37 or sink the destroyer and transport in SZ 61 (while landing your plane in Szechuan to protect the US plane).

• I agree with zombie that reinforcing trans-jordan is unnecessary because of the threat of a profitable 2 fighter & 1 bomber counter. I think that bidding egypt with 1 infantry or 1 sub in the adjacent sz makes sense. This deters a slightly profitable attack by germany R1 with expected result of UK losing all 4 units in egypt and germany left with 1 bomber.

UK moving the Indian fleet to the Med is the optimal choice in some situations. It’s optimal when the UK wants to destroy the germany med fleet R2 and is willing to lose India earlier because SZ61 isn’t sunk. The critical factor is that Germany hasn’t deadzoned sz 15 so that UK carrier, cruiser, and 2 fighters can safely move in. R2, UK can project at least 4 fighters, 1 bomber, 1 cruiser, and 1 carrier which Germany is hopeless to defend. The main issue is that most good German plays will deadzone sz15, so this move normally isn’t an option.

• @Zhukov44:

So his aircraft would have to be on Southern Europe or Balkans in order to hit the fleet?  I like this idea  :-D.

I’ve only played one game and I’m a little surprised Axis is favored given that tanks are now 6 AND Allies have an perfect spot for invasion in Northwestern Europe.  Seems like Allies have a good shot at defeating Germany before Japan can take Moscow.

However, the starting factories in India and Karelia are great for Axis….

If you guys (ROC and Black Elk) play on TripleA…let’s give it a go sometime.

When I first looked at the board I thought that the allies were strong looking as well. surprisingly the India factory helps out the allies a lot more than the axis. A good UK player can keep India alive for a while.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

My friends and I used to feel Axis is strongly favored but after a few games I no longer able to beat my friend  consistently using Axis… :x… perhaps I don’t know how to use Axis well enough…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m