Surprise strike VS Surprise strike

• Sorry folks but i am still a bit confused about the sub surprise strike.  So i get that lets say its a sub vs an aircraft carrier, sub chooses a surprise strike, hits aircraft carrier, aircraft carrier sinks and does not get a defensive roll per the rules of the surprise strike.

But if a sub attacks another sub it sounds like both are able to declare surprise strike. but wouldn’t this just nullify the surprise strike and the subs would just have basic normal combat?

• '17 '16

If it is just ss vs ss I would have taken the option of submerging (no att. DD present) because my defensive roll is 1 compared to the att. roll of 1 or 2.  Unless I feel the luck is with me.  If there is a surface fleet I’m helping I’ll stay.

• Official Q&A

@Chiclet:

But if a sub attacks another sub it sounds like both are able to declare surprise strike. but wouldn’t this just nullify the surprise strike and the subs would just have basic normal combat?

Yes.

• I say no, as even if the attacker sinks the defending sub, I believe they have the chance to defend (even going down as a casualty) as a surprise attack… and if they hit (defend of: 1) then the attacking sub goes down as well, as per surprise hit rules.  I may be wrong, but this would seem the most fair option.  Additionally, however, yes, I would submerge my defending sub to avoid this situation in the first place, haha.

• I guess you have to balance out some factors to get this one right. A torpedo hitting a WWII sub means you now have two halves of a sub. I was in the Army so I might have this next part wrong. I believe half a sub has something less than a 1-in-6 chance of a successful counter attack. I’m basing this assumption off the fact the crew would be a little smaller and the handling characteristics of each half would be somewhat reduced. Especially the fore section.

Now let’s say the attacked sub was able to hear the torpedo launched against it. If submerged it could happen. Maybe? Then yes it might get a snap shot off at it’s attacker prior to being struck and split in two.

• @The11HP20:

A torpedo hitting a WWII sub means you now have two halves of a sub. I was in the Army so I might have this next part wrong. I believe half a sub has something less than a 1-in-6 chance of a successful counter attack. I’m basing this assumption off the fact the crew would be a little smaller and the handling characteristics of each half would be somewhat reduced. Especially the fore section.

A WWII submarine broken into two half-submarines would have promptly translated into two (or more) pieces of flooded, corpse-filled wreckage sitting at the bottom of the ocean.  I’d be astonished if a modern sub could keep operating (or even stay afloat) after something as drastic as breaking in two, let alone a WWII sub.  Though a modern sub might have a better chance to survive a torpedo hit, depending on various factors – provided the warhead wasn’t a nuke, obviously.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m