• Well, I would like to talk about interesting territories. What would be those?

They are territories which have more then one neighbour(either land territory or they have entrance to multiple sea zones). They have big strategic/tactical importance, and with control of them, U have better position on the map.

They become even more effective when building an IC/airfield/harbour there.

Let`s see it in a little analyze…

EUROPE:

Norway - borders Finland and Sweden. It is also a territory worth 3 IPC. Germany can build a major IC there. Allies can build a minor IC there (if they capture it). It has access to sz 112, 113, 125 and 126. So it is very nice to have an IC or harbour here, even airfield.

Finland - borders Sweden, Norway, Karelia and Vyborg. Has access to both the Baltic and the White Sea, respectively.

Slovakia Hungary - borders Poland, Germany, Greater Southern Germany, Yugoslavia, Romania and Eastern Poland, all in all 6 land neighbours. It has a worth of 3 IPC, so Germany can build a major IC here also.

Romania - borders 5 land territories + Black Sea. Has a value of 3 IPC.

Yugoslavia - borders 6 land territories + Adriatic Sea. Germany can build a minor IC here.

Greece - borders 3 land territories + 3 sea zones. Fantastic for building an airfield or harbour. Even a minor can be great, if Turkey is in the game.

Normandy Bordeaux - with 2 sea zone exits, and an IC and a harbour, a nice territory it is.

France - borders 6 land territories. Crucial for keeping the Western Europe.

Western Germany - pivotal German territory, borders 7 land territories + 2 sea zones.

Spain - borders 3 land territories and 5 sea zones. Fantastic for airfield/harbour.

Gibraltar - borders the Atlantic and the Med respectively.

Scotland - borders 2 land territories and 3 sea zones. In some combinations a good place to put an IC or harbour, or just to hold it.

AFRICA:

Algeria - borders both 91 and 92, and can be controlled by the USA if the Axis ever take it.  Key location for USA AB/NB.
    Gibraltar has a naval base BUT Axis can SBR it and then USA is stuck going 2 spaces instead of 3 with all boats based in 91 or 92 if relying on UK naval base.

Belgian Congo - borders 6 land territories +  one sea zone. Central African territory.

Egypt - 3 land borders + 2 sea zones. Strategical pivot territory.

French West Africa - with 3 sea zone exits, a great place for a harbour. It also borders 6 land territories.

Ethiopia and Kenya - border 4 (5) territories respectively. Crucial for keeping East Africa. They both have entrances to 1 sea zone each.

ASIA:

Novgorod and Archhangel - border 5 land territories + the entrance to White Sea. Novgorod has access to Baltic too.

Russia - except from being a capitol territory, it borders 5 other land territories on all sides.

Samara -borders 6 land territories. Strategically very important.

Bryansk - borders 7 land territories. The door to Moscow.

Eastern Poland - borders 7 land territories. The door to Russia.

Rostov - borders 5 land territories plus Black Sea.

Turkey - borders 5 land territories plus two sea zones.

Caucasus - borders 5 land territories plus 2 sea zones. Strategically very important. The door to Central Asia, a crossroad of different paths.

Iraq - Borders 6 land territories + 1 sea zone. Great place for an airfield.

Saudi Arabia - With access to 3 sea zones, it is a great place for a harbour.

Persia - borders 3 land territories + 2 sea zones. A good place for an IC.

West India - good place for UK Pacific IC. To help the Allies in the Middle East. Also a harbour is not a bad idea too.

Kazahstan - pivotal territory together with Caucaus after Russia falls. Borders 8 land territories + 1 sea zone. Together with Caucasus and Samara is like a wall blocking the path from China and Middle East to Eastern Europe.

Shan State - Territory of enormous importance. Borders 5 key land territories + it has entrance to 2 sea zones. All in all, a great place for an airfield.

Kweichow, Shensi and Anhwe - border 6/7/8 territories respectively. Have great strategical and tactical importance. If u hold them, u hold (entire) China.

Soviet Far East - with 3 sea zone entrances, a good place for a harbour.

FIC and/or Hainan - harbour

AUSTRALIA-PACIFIC:

Hawaiian and Philippine Islands, Samoa, New Zealand and Java - one word - harbour.

Queensland - great for an IC. From there U can attack Japan heavily and easily.

Northern Territory - a greate place for an airfield.

Midway  - with three ways how to attack Japan, a great territory for a harbour.

Johnston and Paulau Island - a good place for a harbour

THE AMERICAS:

Western United States - pivotal USA territory. Great for air which can reach the shores of Japan and Morocco respectively.

Southeast Mexico or Central America - good for harbour.

Central United States - an airfield here would enable bombers reach the shores of Japan and Med at the same time.

Brazil, Argentina and Chile - with 2 sea zone entrances respectively, very good for IC and a harbour.

Venezuela - good for IC.

British Guiana - good for a harbour.

Alaska - potentially good for an IC and a harbour.

Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba - if the war comes to North America or it`s shores, this is a great territory for an airfield or even harbour since it borders 3 land territories + 2 sea zones, and is isolated from open Pacific and Atlantic waters.

Quebec - 4 land borders + access to 3 sea zones.

Your thoughts ?

P.S. Thanks to Gamer for Algeria, and for such a good description.

Thanks to all of U guys too :)

• Don’t forget Hawaii, Yunnan, Phil, FIC, Malaya, Java, Burma, East persia, New Zealand , and Samoa.

• @ghr2:

Don’t forget Hawaii, Yunnan, Phil, FIC, Malaya, Java, Burma, East persia, New Zealand , and Samoa.

Thanks, can u make a little analyze for each of them. I kind of focused on those that border more territories/sea zones.

• @ghr2:

Don’t forget Hawaii, Yunnan, Phil, FIC, Malaya, Java, Burma, East persia, New Zealand , and Samoa.

the bold ones, have great possibilities with a harbour there.

• '14 Customizer

Very nice list.  I usually see Japan put a Harbour on Hainan.  Its not a territory with multiple territories or sea zones but it is critical to allowing Japan to swing over to  India or to cycle transports from Tokyo.  Do you play with air bases being able to scramble against bordering land territories as well as sea zones?

• Algeria!

Borders both 91 and 92, and can be controlled by the USA if the Axis ever take it.  Key location for USA AB/NB.
    Gibraltar has a naval base BUT Axis can SBR it and then USA is stuck going 2 spaces instead of 3 with all boats based in 91 or 92 if relying on UK naval base.

• @cyanight:

Very nice list.� I usually see Japan put a Harbour on Hainan.� Its not a territory with multiple territories or sea zones but it is critical to allowing Japan to swing over to� India or to cycle transports from Tokyo.� Do you play with air bases being able to scramble against bordering land territories as well as sea zones?

Yes, I agree. FIC/Hainan is very great place for a harbour.

No, we here play that U can scramble only against sea (including amphibious assault).

@Gamer

Yes, I like Algeria so much, do not know how i missed it. Wait i know, it was French when i looked the map in Triple A last time  :lol:

• @Amon-Sul:

@ghr2:

the bold ones, have great possibilities with a harbour there.

I think Malaya is a very important territory for both sides in the Pacific as it comes w/naval base. If Japan builds an IC there it allows them to build ships utilizing that port, along with air/land units as they feel fit. An air base on Malaya, Shan or Siam can also give sz 37 air cover (have seen multiple air bases built for sz 37).

Of course Malaya it is a major target for the allies because it is linked to NO’s for both UK Pac, and Anz. If the Japanese build a minor IC there, the good ole USA will target it, especially if India falls and they can keep the Japanese IC if they capture it.

I also like FIC for a Japanese minor IC. Have been playing the 1942 version of Global, and Japan starts the game with FIC. It is a great place to drop a minor IC to build mech/tanks to threaten China, or India. It is also nice to mobilize ships down there. FIC w/IC and naval base can be pretty cool for Japan, and a little harder for the US to get to IMO.

• very good observation WB

• I like Greece on the Europe map and FIC on the Pacific map for bases and/or ICs

• Oh, you didn’t list the
    Caroline Islands!
    :-)

Already equipped with an airbase and naval base, very key location, with USA or Japan able to reach a multitude of important sea zones, territories, and islands in a single move, including 2 paths to Z6, 3 paths to Phillipines, and access to Hawaii and New South Wales, both 6th victory cities

• Sponsor

It might be easier to list the uninteresting territories… Portugal, Samoa, Gold Coast, Greenland…etc

• @Young:

It might be easier to list the uninteresting territories… Portugal, Samoa, Gold Coast, Greenland…etc

hehe, seems that way, good point

• '14 Customizer

Greece is a perfect place for all three especially if you take Turkey.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Granted it’s not hard to deny UK Europe its lone NO but Italy could just plant an infantry or two in Cyprus to make UK (or US) work really hard to get the NO back. One of my pet peeves with the NO, it really needs to be reduced to Gibraltar, Egypt, Trans-Jordan.

Same reason the Aleutians are valuable since they can negate the homeland NO for the US.

Korea is the only place Japan can drop a Major IC, if they want to go haywire on land units in China and Russia.

Kwangtung already has an air and naval base, good place for a minor IC once Japan takes it.

• @ghr2:

Hawaii:  AB/NB, Strategic Location, and NO.
    Yunnan: Strategic Location and NO.
    Phil: Same reasons as Hawaii.
    FIC:  Great place to NB/AB/IC.
    Malaya:  Was well states earlier.
    Java:  Vital territory/seazone to attack through, allows anzac to bring air to the mainland.
    Burma:  Important territory to hold in order to contest Shan State and Yunnan.
    East Persia:  Air reaches moscow, india, and egypt.  Air can also attack burma and land in india.
    NZ:  Far away from Jap stacks in Malaya/Phil, but has very good range.
    Samoa:  1 move from either coast, 1 more move to NZ.

• @Gamerman01:

Oh, you didn’t list the
    Caroline Islands!
    :-)

Already equipped with an airbase and naval base, very key location, with USA or Japan able to reach a multitude of important sea zones, territories, and islands in a single move, including 2 paths to Z6, 3 paths to Phillipines, and access to Hawaii and New South Wales, both 6th victory cities

Yes, my first intention was to, more or less gather all the land territories, later on I add some islands too.

• @cyanight:

Greece is a perfect place for all three especially if you take Turkey.

Definitely.

@General:

Korea is the only place Japan can drop a Major IC, if they want to go haywire on land units in China and Russia.

Exactly.

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

hehe, seems that way, good point

Yes, I listed many territories, but they are not all in the top. That is why I made the descriptions. The players can see themselves that there are several or dozens of them which are the best.

@ghr2

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m