Why politics are essential in this game

• Customizer

New political rules suggestions:

Only the first five powers are at war to begin.

The Allies cannot attack neutrals; Persia is the exception as it has no effective central government.

An aligned neutral can only be activated by the power with which it is aligned (I don’t like Britain activating Italy round 1)

1. Austria (must attack Serbia)

2. Russia (must attack Prussia? What if Austria contests Poland - damn that unhistorical border!)

3. Germany (must attack Belgium?)

4. France

5. Britain (cannot activate Arabia round 1)

6. Turkey - Declares war at the start of its own turn round 1. Considered neutral until then; ships of other powers cannot move through the straits.

7. Italy - Declares war at the start of its own turn on round 2; It does not have a turn on round 1.
    The CPs cannot attack it before then (Triple Alliance).

Italy thus gets “first strike” versus Austria. To balance, remember that Italy loses a round of collecting income and moving units. Also Austria can concentrate on other fronts on round one, or build up troops in Tyrol/Trieste.

8. USA - Declares war on its own turn on round 4 or a subsequent turn as long as Russia has suffered a first stage collapse (abdication of the Czar), or when attacked.

Does not have a turn until going to war.

Basic income increased to 30 IPCs. For balancing purpose it depends on how long the game goes on; American expenditure levels out (compared to OOB) on turn 9, thereafter increases.

Or increase to 35 IPCs: level out then occurs on turn 7.

Qs: Can Turkish units be used to represent Persia round 1?

Can Italian units be used to represent attacked neutrals round 1?

What if Austria attacks Albania round 1?

Toss a coin round 4 to decide which alliance Greece aligns itself with.

• Really, don’t you think this belong in the house rule forum , ehh…

I agree that Austria must attack someone in turn 1, just to get the game going. But after that, I don’t think Germany must attack Belgium, just imagine a kaizer that don’t want to involve Britain in the war, so he just go straight for the French border and skip Belgium.

• Please you make all these house rule threads… make them in house rules section, not here please.

• Customizer

Get lost in general house rules.

By all means post a 1914 House Rule section.

Razor: that’s the point - if Germany hadn’t gone through Belgium, Edward Grey wouldn’t have had a pretext for joining the war. So the French and Russians wouldn’t have mobilized. It was all set in stone…

At least the Germans did invade Belgium - the Austrian invasion of Serbia was rather later.

• I’m lost in 1914 trying to ignore 15 house rule threads you made. Just put them in house rules. They wont read it here or there any less.

• I would be in favor of each game having a house rule subforum, but some games would be much more scarce than others. But let’s face it, everyone has given up on OOB 1914 because it’s so lopsided so the only things left are house rules.
    Back on topic.

Allies respect neutrality-makes sense, prevents them from picking up easy money in Sp.Morocco, Afghanistan, and later America taking Spain.
    Aligned neutrals-although it only really affects Albania, having France/Britain activate it R1 is really annoying (although it should really just be a True Neutral that the Allies can invade)
    1. Troop movement is as close as we can get to bombardment, so yeah.
    2. If Poland is contested, no attack is mandatory, but any competent Russian player would just throw the minimum 1 inf to die in Prussia if it was mandatory.
    3. Germany usually attacks Belgium anyway, but requiring it would discourage a Round 1 stack of Switzerland, I think.
    5. Yeah, to prevent schenanigans with neutral Turkey.
    6. Easy way to boost Ottoman power as they will have a turn to bolster their borders.
    7. This one you have to be careful on. Neutral until I2 seems like a long time, but if they declare before I1 they’re too strong and after I1 they can get crushed by the Austrians. Also brings the problem of if the Austrian navy is allowed out to destroy the Brit cruiser/transport in SZ 19.
    8. This is a good one because the CPs were really going for a quick victory and this demands that they get it or get overwhelmed by Americans. However, because of the way the territories are laid out, it is almost impossible to actually achieve their victory conditions, so a VC system like you proposed could also help with this.

Can Turkish units represent Persia for a Round 1 invasion? Sure, but if the Russians invade it and the Ottomans defend it, it shouldn’t prevent the British from also supporting the invasion.
    Can Italy represent attacked neutrals Round 1? Again, sure, but it does not change Italy’s political status so those units won’t be able to move or attack like they would under another power.
    What if Austria invades Albania Round 1? Italians mobilize, but like the point before, Italy stays neutral and the Albanians won’t be able to move or attack.
    Greece-I would hate leaving something like that up to chance, maybe just allow the Allies to invade it like Persia after R4.

The only thing I don’t like about more mandatory attacks than Serbia is that it might lead to less variety.

• Customizer

@Flashman:

This.

• '14

@ossel:

@Flashman:

This.

That would be very helpful actually. The 1914 threads become hard to follow in the House Rule section. If not a subforum, maybe a sticky would help.

• '17 '16

@protevangelium:

@ossel:

@Flashman:

This.

That would be very helpful actually. The 1914 threads become hard to follow in the House Rule section. If not a subforum, maybe a sticky would help.

I also agree.
    Seems that 1914 need a lot of little or even bigger fixes.
    And to be able to follow where it all goes, 1914 House Rules should have a separate Forum section.
    In addition, this game doesn’t have the same rules mechanics than all others A&A.
    That’s why I think it should be treated differently.

Also, it could help new conscript see clearly the lines between house rules for A&A older versions and Larry’s newborn, and help showing clearly the OOB background rules.
    Because reading House Rule with 1914 background OOB rules is clearly a world apart from OOB rules from 1941, 1942, G1940 and older ones.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m