• Not on the computer, but the board game alone? i did, and it was fun. it is hard to trick yourself!

japan took america somehow, and Britain took Germany somehow…by then i decided to call it quits…

• i use to, but i kept losing.

• I sometimes play alone, with the door shut, all quiet, and sometimes with the light off…

• I’ve spent a lot of time just staring at the board after setting it all up, imagining moves…does that count?

Ozone27

• I once played with myself on the board game to try out new tactics and moves, but ever since the CD rom version came out, I’ve been using that instead. Turns go by much faster if you don’t have to set everything up and roll the die for every battle.

• True. It is easier to imagine moves and create strategies on the board game. I use the CD rom to test out the strategies and to find any cracks in them.

• On 2002-03-26 19:06, Mr Ghoul wrote:
    i use to, but i kept losing.

Get confident, stupid! Your evil half must be happy it won!

• I play alone sometimes, but I rarely finish

• The problem with playing alone is that you can miss really simple things. For example, after analysing starting strategies at some length, in my second proper game playing axis, Russia hit MAN & UKR, and UK hit KWA, all on turn 1. This meant that the US plane in CHI, and the US fleet in HAW SZ could not be attacked.

Playing with another player will ensure that your mistakes are spotted.

Also, half the game is about second-guessing what your opponent is going to do - which way they will leap - whether they are going for the short easy kill or the longer war of attrition. In a game you have to consider all the possible attacks an opponent might make, and move your units to optimise your defence - when playing alone, it is far to easy to “predict” the other countries’ goals.

• The problem with playing alone is that you can miss really simple things. For example, after analysing starting strategies at some length, in my second proper game playing axis, Russia hit MAN & UKR, and UK hit KWA, all on turn 1. This meant that the US plane in CHI, and the US fleet in HAW SZ could not be attacked.

Playing with another player will ensure that your mistakes are spotted.

Also, half the game is about second-guessing what your opponent is going to do - which way they will leap - whether they are going for the short easy kill or the longer war of attrition. In a game you have to consider all the possible attacks an opponent might make, and move your units to optimise your defence - when playing alone, it is far to easy to “predict” the other countries’ goals.

• No…im stupid?!

• I do that all the time! If no one wants to play I play by myself. And usually I play as if there were more players but it is impossible to do a trick attack on yourself.

• you’re not stupid! i used a “Troy McClure” quote.

and to my surprise, when i play, i surprise myself! i try to anticipate what i would do. it took my about 2 and a half hours to finish a turn…but it was worth it.

• I’ve never played by myself, but I’m about to resort to it. I am having a very hard time finding someone to play with. It’s my own fault for falling out of touch with the group I used to play with. I do sometimes set up the board and spend time just staring and imagining moves and countermoves.

• that’s sad! what happened?

• '19 Moderator

The same thing happend to me. I lost touch with most of the people I played with. About a year ago, when I registered here, I started looking on the net and found quite a few players in my area. I knew if I looked hard enough there would be players out there.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona Where belive it or not there are over 3 millon people(including suburbs)

Red

[ This Message was edited by: dezrtfish on 2002-03-27 15:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dezrtfish on 2002-03-27 15:32 ]

• Yes second guessing plays a vital role in how A&A should be played. However, the more I play, the more I see people stick to the same basic moves that I myself use. As for playing with myself, I’ll stop playing when I’m sure one side has won. That way you don’t have to spend 10 extra turns just trying to build up a transport fleet and manpower just to take out the enemy’s capital (ie UK, Japan, USA).

• I used to hang out at a small game shop in Ringgold GA and play games like A&A, WH40K, RPGs, etc. But the owner had a problem with people only using his store to game in and buying their supplies on the net so his customer base dropped to about 5 of us who actually bought things there. We only met on the weekends (although I occasionally dropped in during the week just to say hi). Of course, eventually this wasn’t enough to stay in business even with his working on computers on the side so he had to close up shop. I never really knew how to contact any of the guys so when we couldn’t meet up there it was up to a few chance run-ins at the mall or something like that, unfortunately I never really capitalized on this. One of the guys that used to hang out there, in fact the one that introduced us all to A&A used to live about 5 minutes from here, but I’m not sure if he still does. The only other guy I have any idea about how to reach I only have an e-mail address for and I’ve had no end of trouble with my e-mail. I do know one other person who might play but everytime we set a time something comes up.

The only time you are truly free is when you step into the voting booth and vote away your freedom. -paraphrased from something my history prof. said

[ This Message was edited by: Tal on 2002-03-27 20:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tal on 2002-03-27 20:47 ]

• Well its always good to support your local gaming and hobby store. I say its better to purchase in store even if the online price is better since it helps small businesses to stay afloat and you don’t have to pay an shipping charges or wait the minimal 4-6 weeks for delivery.

• Usually you can ask for the game cheaper in a store and they would sell it. If they say no, at least you tried :smile:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m