• There has been a lot of posts on this site about how slanted this game is for the axis and the bid keeps going up and up.  I think the mistake that people are making is that they are attempting to go with a 100% kill Germany strategy.  This kill Germany approach works in most Axis & Allies games but not in 1941.  The allies need to control Japans economy as much as possible. 
    Russia 1: Attack West Russia with 3 inf from Karelia, 2 inf from Arch Angel and 1 inf from Moscow vs. the 3 Germany inf in W. Russia.  This allows you the flexibility to retreat into Moscow.
    Attack Manchuria with 3 inf and the fighter.  Land the fighter and move both tanks and an infantry in N. China. Build 2 inf.
    UK 1: Attack German fleet with your destroyer in Canada and your air force.  Attack the Japanese sub and destroyer with your sub destroyer and fighter. Riskier is to build a carrier in Australia land the fighter on it and put the sub and destroyer in Austria.  Move the two UK transports to two different seazones (not in Australia).  Not sure if the carrier idea is viable but it creates another target for Japan turn1.
    USA1: Build 2 destroyers in E. USA.  Consolidate the USA fleet in Alaska if Japan went south. This may not seem like much but it forces Japan to keep some fleet in Japan Seazone.  I like to build a 4th fighter and second carrier for the Pacific within the first five turns.  When you move the USA fleet to Alaska bring troops with you and look for opportunities to move troops from Alaska to Soviet Far East.  Build units as needed in the Atlantic.  Shuttle troops into Finland every turn once your Pacific & Atlantic fleets are in place.

• Good post. There are several ways to skin a cat, and people have to rethink things. One point I would raise is: a good German player would attack Egypt w/ 2 inf, 1 tank, 1 fighter, and the bomber on G1. Would you still attack Japan’s DD and Sub? Or would you use the fighter to retake Egypt on UK1?

• ColonelPotter makes a solid point in regards to controling the Japanese economy.  Japan must expand their empire to gain more credits or die.  This can be achived by them by island hoping in the pacific and taking UK and USA credits.  I’ve played as Japan once and after my crushing defeat in the sea zone around India, i did not have the naval strength to repel the American and UK advance.  Japan was surrounded by their navies and i was pretty much done for….

• I’ve now played 2 games against an opponent. Though it was his first time playing Axis/Allies, he’s a good natural tactician and learns quickly. He’s a wargamer. Both games lasted 3 hours. We played with the official setup changes: 3 inf in Moscow, DD in SZ11, 1 inf in NW China. We also allowed nations to build artillery units, which gives this game that little something it is missing. I commanded the Allies and won both games, only because of more A/A experience. He didn’t attack Egypt on turn 1 with Germany in either game, but I recommended researching opening moves online for the next time we play. He wants to try Axis again.

Here are my opening moves for game 2. Game 1 was similar. With the inclusion of artillery, this game plays like a mini version of Revised. It’s a good time.

Russia 1: Russia bought an inf and an art and placed those in CAUC. Attacked W. Russia w/ 1 inf from KAR, 3 inf from ARCH, 1 inf from MOS, and 1 FIG. Sub moved to SZ 6 to restrict German fleet movement, and moved 3 inf from Siberia to Urals. Russia stacked CAUC w/ 1 FIG, 2 Tanks, 9 inf, and 1 artillery.

UK1: Bought AC for SZ 6. German landed a tank in GIB, so FIG was lost when AC went down. Attacked German BB and Sub in SZ6 w/ BB, DD, FIG, and Bomber. Attacked SZ31 w/ DD, Sub, and FIG. Took NAFR w/ 1 inf from Egypt. Moved tank from ECAN to London. Moved inf from AUS to IND. Moved SAFR inf up one place. Moved IND trans to SAFR area. Moved tank from EGY to India and 1 inf to MidE. Placed FIG on new AC.

US1: Bought a trans for SZ 11 and DD for PAC. Moved FIG to UK AC. Bomber to London. 2 inf and 1 tank for EUS to ECAN. 2 inf and 1 tank from WUS to WCAN. DD and trans from SZ 11 to ECAN area. 1 inf took CENCHI from SZECH. Japan left that open, but had taken NWCH.

It is more difficult for USA to land troops in Norway/London in this game, because of how the sea zones are setup. The Atlantic shuck takes longer to setup, if it ever does get going. In both games, the US focused more on the PAC than I’ve done in previous games of A/A Revised. I like this, because historically the US had to deal heavily with Japan’s navy to win the war in the PAC. I was able to keep Japan in a naval construction race in both games, which led to my victories. I did make some rookie mistakes, because I’m still rusty from not playing for a while, which prolonged these games. But my opponent is a smart guy and did some nice moves that he came up with on his own. Aside from me giving him advice a few times. Good game, but it needs artillery to make it great.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m