• I’m on vacation for Christmas 800 miles away in Kentucky, I have decided to have a versus series.

• Baltimore. Better fire control, and radar. Plus US crews were more experienced and had better damage control. Plus Baltimore class cruisers had a slightly heavier broadside and were 1 knot faster with a better overall armor protection scheme

• @poloplayer15:

Baltimore. Better fire control, and radar. Plus US crews were more experienced and had better damage control. Plus Baltimore class cruisers had a slightly heavier broadside and were 1 knot faster with a better overall armor protection scheme

Shell quality pushed my vote to the Baltimore. Many German shells failed to detonate. The famous picture of a 8" shell from a German cruiser getting tossed off the Prince of Whales comes to mind. And didn’t a few of Graf Spee’s 11" shells fail to explode at River Plate?

• I don’t think the Hipper would have stood much of a chance either.
    The Baltimore had thicker armour and that extra gun.
    I did not read about fire control and radar, but am sure Polo Player knows. Did Marc say recently that the Hipper class had a problem with a weak stern?

• @wittmann:

Did Marc say recently that the Hipper class had a problem with a weak stern?

Weak sterns were, as I recall, a problem that affected several of Germany’s heavy warship classes.  I can’t remember the examples I listed in my previous post on that subject, but I think there were a number of cases of stern damage and/or stern collapses among Germany’s heavy cruisers, battlecruisers and battleships.  It may have been bad luck, or it may have been some kind of chronic design flaw.

• I believe the hoppers sister Prinz Eugene was damaged by a torpedo from a British sub, resulting in the need for a completely new stern. Don’t quote me on this tho… All from memory right now,  :mrgreen:

• Thanks you two.
    The Baltimore looked like a class leading ship from what I could make out from Wiki.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m