What to do with W. Canada infantry?

• Just wondering what others think is the best option for the infantry Great Britian has in Western Canada. Usually I will move it to Alaska to assist the USA in defending it in the event Japan decides to attack there, but there are obviously many other possibilities. However, when I play with the computer program :roll: I will sometimes move it to W. USA as the AI does not do a good job in defending that area from Japan.

• I usually bring it over to Alaska. This forces Japan to act a little more seriously when trying to take it. If Japan has few transports and there is a big war in Europe, then i might bring it over to help in the war effort.
    This is a little bit ridiculous as Western Canadian farmboys made a name for themselves in Germany with their ruthless courage and excellent sniping abilities in WW II.

• 2007 AAR League

I usually use it for help in Europe. The people I play against don’t focus much on Alaska, and the extra infantry in Europe is always helpful :D.

• @UKcommander:

I usually use it for help in Europe. The people I play against don’t focus much on Alaska, and the extra infantry in Europe is always helpful :D.

How can the Japanese not focus on Alaska? It is the most logical place to begin an invasion of America since a transport in Japan can load and unload at Alaska in the same turn. The next best place for Japan to invade America would be Panama, but that takes several turns to get a transport there.

• Japan concentrating on the US instead of Russia will doom Germany.

• not neccesarily, i have played games that japan invades western usa succesfuly! :o one game i played, japan invaded alaska and conquered the usa because they were concentrating on the germans

• Then you aren’t playing very good players. If the US build their infantry forces in WUS and then move them to WCan they can blunt a Jap advance severely. If Japan goes to Alaska on their first turn it will seriously deprive them of valuable forces in Asia for many turns to come and lead to problems down the road. So while Japan may get 2-3 ipcs for Alaska and Wcan they will lose many more by not taking Yakut, Sink, Sfe, China and India which are worth a total of 11ipcs.

• '19 Moderator

I leave it where it is. Basicly a blitz blocker. Of course that can change after the first round when I get an idea what Japan is up to.

• I must say: 1)The US shoudnt focus at all at japan, us should focus only on germany.

2)Japan shoudnt invade america at all, they should go for Russia, since its where they can earn the most IPC and because they will always loose the war head-on the US.

Japan invading western, that can never work against an experienced US player.

• @AgentSmith:

… If Japan goes to Alaska on their first turn it will seriously deprive them of valuable forces in Asia for many turns to come and lead to problems down the road. So while Japan may get 2-3 ipcs for Alaska and Wcan they will lose many more by not taking Yakut, Sink, Sfe, China and India which are worth a total of 11ipcs.

When I invade Alaska, I do it after I take over both America’s Chinese terrioties and India. By then Russia should have fallen to the Germans, so the Russians will not be focusing on Japan. This leaves Japan able to invade Alaska and begin to try to take out America.

• Russia shouldn’t fall that quickly. If they build guys and defend Karelia, how will Germany take Moscow. Failing in this if Japan then vacates its Asia territories it runs a great risk of seeing Russia or the other Allies taking them back.

• 2007 AAR League

I’m sorry I didn’t mean to get everyone off topic here :oops:. However, as someone said, the Japanese usually concentrate on the Russians and the Americans on the Germans in most of our games. Sorry again.

• @AgentSmith:

Japan concentrating on the US instead of Russia will doom Germany.

I couldn’t agree more. Germany needs someone to keep Russia in check, even if it is only at a loss of 2-4 IPC’s in the first few turns. Plus a lucky/crafty Japan can take away 6 UK IPC’s by turn two and a two border shot into Sinkiang.

• @AgentSmith:

Russia shouldn’t fall that quickly. If they build guys and defend Karelia, how will Germany take Moscow. Failing in this if Japan then vacates its Asia territories it runs a great risk of seeing Russia or the other Allies taking them back.

Why would Japan vacate its Asian territories?

• @SelfBiasResistor:

@AgentSmith:

I couldn’t agree more. Germany needs someone to keep Russia in check, even if it is only at a loss of 2-4 IPC’s in the first few turns. Plus a lucky/crafty Japan can take away 6 UK IPC’s by turn two and a two border shot into Sinkiang.

Japan can concentrate on Asia with their Asian troops and use their navy to take out america’s navy.

• Japan needs to add new troops in Asia in order to push Russia out of Novo otherwise the Russians will park in Novo or Yakut and trade either Sink or Yakut every turn yet concentrate the bulk of their 27ipcs income against Germany. If Germany is only producing 36ipcs the Russians can hold Karelia along time without significant reinforcements from the Americans/English. In the interim US/Uk can concentrate on retaking Africa or pushing onto the continent via Spain in order to open up a second front against Germany. At this point Germany has to pull out of EEuro to defend Berlin, and Russia/Britain move into EEuro finishing the encirclement of Germany. The only leverage you have is the early troops you dump into Alaska, but if you are diverting Jap troops to both Asia and Alaska, say around 6inf to each you aren’t go to be strong enough to seriously slow down either America or Russia. If the Japs go all out for Alaska the Americans will be slowed down, but only slightly, and the Allies will still encircle Berllin, if a turn or two later. It is therefore vital the Japs can take Novo or at least back Russia out of Novo early. The supply lines from Alaska to Tokyo are too long to maintain substantial pressure unless Japan has a lot of transports, but in order to build such a massive flotilla Japan must take away a lot of ipcs in Asia. Otherwise they will only have 36ipcs which won’t get it done, especially if America is at 36-38ipcs themselves. With Japan only able to send 6guys to Alaska turn and America building 12 you tell me who is going to win this one.

• @The:

@SelfBiasResistor:

@AgentSmith:

Japan can concentrate on Asia with their Asian troops and use their navy to take out america’s navy.

But Pearl Harbor is only a first turn Japan move, it will stall the US while making a less hampered Asian conquest without more US interference. I’ll give it that, but Japan needs to worry about building up as quick as possible so it can bail out Germany.

• So I take it, that everyone does agree with the following: Japan should focus on asia, us on germany, and if not the side that did not will be doomed.?

• Well, I think its possible for the USA to concentrate on Japan as Russia and Great Britian together can hold off Germany and any Japanese push in Asia that the USA can’t address. Also, I think a Kill Japan First stategy is also feasible. But this isn’t the easiest way for an Allied victory.

• The problem here is that while Britain and Russia can combine to hold off Germany for a while they will struggle to retake Africa, Germany’s cash cow. Failing to take Africa can allow an outnumbered Germany to walk through Ukr/Cauc to take and hold Karelia. Even if Japan is getting slowed down, a German occupation of Karelia nullifies the aid Britain can give to Russia. Thus the game becomes Germany versus Russia, and most of the time the Germans can win this contest. In the end America going after Japan may succeed in slowing down the Axis, but it completely nullifies the Allied advantage and deprives them of their best opportunity to win, by triple pounding on Germany.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m