• What counter is the best if UK decides to pour all resources into an minor IC in Egypt? He (my opponent) takes out most of my Italian boats with: Malta fighter, UK med ships, and everything he has got. Then he flies his planes to Gibraltar, setting up a 2nd round stack of at least four fighters. He then dumps an IC in Egypt, and reinforces it. It really isn’t a deal breaker, but after a few turns of steady Inf building, he then makes another IC in Trans-Jordan, really putting the squeeze on Italy!

My math probably isn’t perfect but I think he can have 6 inf, 2 art, 1 mech, and a fighter by turn one, and 9 inf, 2art, 1 mech and 5 fighters by turn two. That isn’t easy to take down without substantial German help which (as I play it) it really can’t afford to give. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,

• You cannot build an IC in Trans-Jordan; that’s an illegal play your opponent is making.

• indeed, ic’s can only be built in 2point area’s and major ic in 3 point area’s

• AHA! Well, that makes sense; it always seemed like there wasn’t a lot I could do about the Trans-Jordan IC! Thanks a lot guys. Well, the next he plays that I will pull out the rule book on him. (knowing the rules is such fun!)

Thanks for all your help,

• '16

But having a UK focused on Italy with an IC in Egypt is still pretty powerful.
    Apparently the best counter is to buy at least 2 transports with Germany and have them all in range of attacking London.
    That way, UK is then dealing with a situation where Germany MAY go for a sea lion, or is just feinting an attack…
    If they deny their own defense, then sea lion is a green light to go. If they buff their own defenses and keep their planes at home, Italy has more room to breathe.

• Hey ch0senfktard,
    Thanks for your advice. The only problem is that I really don’t like delaying Operation Barbarossa to try Sealion. Also, are two transports enough to really threaten Britain. I do think that something has to be done, but is a 1st round Barbarossa more of deterrent. Any advice is appreciated.

• Two transports are not enough to threaten Sealion on G2, but that is not the point. Buying 2 transports (and most likely a carrier to defend them) on G1 means you can buy 5+ more transports G2, dump 6 units in Scotland and threaten London G3 with 8 full transports as well as what remains in Scotland in the event UK strafes it (risky in dice because if they win, London is screwed). If you can get UK to turtle in London and don’t want to try Sealion, you can then send the trannies over to assist in taking Novgorod.

• I totally agree with the above statement. The best way for you to help Italy isn’t to send troops into africa but prevent UK from sending troops to africa. If you always do a G1 or G2 Barbarossa then your opponent knows it’s coming and will move to that plan. Switching things up and going sealion when he’s 100% sure you’re going Barbarossa should win you the game only because your opponent is playing the last game you played or the last 10 games you played and not playing the game you are currently playing.

I had a friend that used to not do basic first turn attacks just to see how you respond with having resources you never plan to have but having lost resources you always have. He told me success on this plan came down to basically how well the opponent could handle the current game and not the expected game. The one he pulled on me was in Classic he didn’t attack the US fleet off Hawaii

• I agree w/Yavid. If he sends the RAF to the Med every game try building a carrier for Germany, and maybe 1 transport and/or a destroyer (needed to kill Russian sub(s) anyway). Don’t send your Battleship into battle G1, and you have a pretty good fleet in sz 112 (Loaded carrier, BB, Cruiser, Destroyer, transport) that can threaten Gibraltar (or Scotland if he thinks you might build more transports). If that doesn’t hold his ftrs in London then think about bombing London w/Germany. If you don’t want to sea Lion you may be able to send your fleet to convoy UK for a turn or so, then decide if you want to go to Gib, or back to the North Sea.

Plan 2
    If the Germans get the S France IC on G1, you might drop a couple German subs in sz 93 on G2 (if the UK has lost its Med destroyer, or it is out of range). Those subs can pass through the straights of Gib BTW regardless who has control of it and can be a real threat w/German air power. You could also move your subs to Italian waters (sz 95) and still have great range from that naval base. Then drop the bulk of the German air force on Southern Italy to threaten any ship builds in the Med from Egypt with subs/air. I would also get a couple German planes to North Africa to protect Italian advances. The German air force can’t stay in Med too long, but they aren’t needed for Russia for awhile.

I figure if he wants the UK air force in the Med then bring in the Luftwaffe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m