2014 G40 league rules

• 2014 Axis and Allies Global 1940 League Rules

1 - Anyone can join at any time no sign up is necessary just play a game in the league forum with the proper game naming convention (14L G40 Player1(side) v Player2(side))

2 - You may play anyone in the league, but only to best of 3 games per opponent will count in standings.  EXCEPTION: If you and your opponent have each completed 13+ games during the league year, best of 5 games will count in the standings.

3 - Scoring/Playoffs
    This is the first year that the official league standings will be determined by points per game (PPG) and not straight win percentage.
    Each player will belong to 1 of 4 tiers based on their 2014 league year game results and PPG.  Cutoffs for tiers will be at 3.50, 2.50, and 1.50 PPG.  
    Players will be awarded points as follows:
    Win over tier 1,2,3,4 earn 6,5,4,3 points, respectively
    Lose to tier 1,2,3,4 earn 2, 1, 0, 0 points, respectively
    Point totals are divided by # of games played to arrive at PPG (which has proven to be a reliable measurement method of the ability of a player)
    All opponents with less than 4 games played will be assigned to the default tier 3.

League standings are available online here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhOB4pSke42ydEhlX0RfbGxmM3RMSHJQd083TV9JUGc#gid=5

Playoffs will begin 2 Nov. 2014:
    The 8 players who have completed 8 or more games with the highest PPG will advance to the main playoff (for being named league champion).  
    If there is a tie for 8th place then the tie will be broken by:
    1 - head to head play
    2 Who played more games

All players who have completed 4 or more games and who did not qualify for the main playoff may sign up for participation in the additional league playoffs.  These playoffs will also start with 8 players each and will be ordered by PPG (with byes or play-in games as necessary).

4 - Game & rules default G40 2nd edition rules, ADS, NO’s, No Tech, Auction Bid.  Rules available online here (Europe rules, then Pacific rules): http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/A&A_Europe_1940_2ndEd_Rulebook_LR.pdf
    http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/A&A_Pacific_1940_2ndEd_Rulebook_LR.pdf

4a Tech or Low Luck Tech or Low Luck is allowed if you and your opponent agree prior to bidding.  You should notate +Tech or +LL in the thread title for the moderators.

4b - Bidding Bidding will be used in order that both players are satisfied with the side they are playing and the starting setup.  Players may negotiate with one another, with the following default settings:

1. Adding units to sea zones - There must already be a unit of the same power in the sea zone
    2. Adding units to territories Territory must be controlled by the power placing units (e.g. UK can be added to Egypt, ANZAC cannot, French can be added to France, UK cannot)
      Players may agree prior to bidding to change these default settings for their game.

5 - Posting Schedule

5a - Time Limits - There is a 72 hour time limit per move. However, play can be paused for a total of 21 days, for whatever reason, without penalty by simply posting the need for a vacation. Please specify the duration of your absence in your game.

5b - Weekend Players.  If you can only play on the weekend or on certain days, please state so when you are looking for an opponent. (This is an exception to the 72 hour rule, requires one game round to be played at least every 144 hours!)

5c - 72 hr warnings:  If 72 hrs goes by and no post from your opponent simply post “bump” and the number of the bump (Bump#1, Bump #2, or Bump #3), which creates the warning.  (Note:  only post “bump” in your warnings to make it clear you are issuing a warning.  Do not add any small talk or other game talk in your warning post.)

5d - Bump warning and consequences - Each “bump” warning resets the clock for another 72 hrs.  However, on the 4th “bump” warning the offending player will be disqualified and declared the loser for that game.  (Note:  You get only 3 warnings per game.)  You must post the warning when it happens (or before the next move has been made by your opponent).  You cannot retroactively issue a “bump” warning.  (For example, if the game is in round 8 you cannot go back and issue a warning that occurred in round 7).  “Bump” warnings can be issued for posting of partial turns (ie someone only posted their purchases), OOL requests, map questions, etc. But they follow the same 72 hr requirement.

5e - If a turn is not posted within 9 days of either the previous turn post (or request for decision on casualty choice, scrambling, kamikaze, etc) or the end of a predetermined “vacation”, then the player failing to post may be declared in default and lose the game.

6 - Losing Players are responsible to post results (in result thread). Post winner and loser, the sides each player played, and provide a link to the game thread.  Winners may post the result when the game result was due to time limits of rule #5.

7 - The Regular Season starts on 2 Nov. 2013 and ends on 1 Nov. 2014.  Games must be completed by 1 Nov. 2014 in order to be counted for the 2014 season.  All game results reported between 2 Nov. 2013 and 1 Nov. 2014 will be included in the 2014 league standings.

Any games in progress that are completed after this date will be counted for the next league year (2015).

8 Use the separate game results thread for posting results of League Games.

9 - Moderators will make the final decision on any rules violations or other game disputes.  Any rules questions may be answered by Krieghund (official A&A rules guy) or Gamerman01 (his official deputy).  Moderator rulings are FINAL.  PERIOD.

Have fun!!!  :mrgreen:

League Moderators
    Commander Jennifer
    Gamerman01

• 10 - You are required to notify Gamerman01 (league mod who tracks standings) promptly if you play league games with more than one username.  All of your results will be consolidated under 1 name.  Surreptitiously playing under multiple accounts in league play is forbidden.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

Gamer, can you clarify:

Win over tier 1,2,3,4 � earn 6,5,4,3 points, respectively
    Lose to tier 1,2,3,4 � earn 2, 1, 0, 0 points, respectively

So…I can earn points from LOSING to a tier 1 player?  Does this “average out” in some way because my total games increases while my total points increases less than if it had been a win?  Is that to help prevent top tiered players from “picking on” players several tiers down?

• Yes, this is actually the same as I’ve been using all year.
    It used to be a subtraction of points for losing to a tier 3 player, but this was unpopular.  The mechanic is the same, though.
    You earn points for losing to a tier 1 or 2 player because PPG is designed to reflect “strength of schedule”
    If you have two players who are 2-10 but one played tier 1’s and 2’s and the other played tier 2’s and 3’s, then by earning points for playing higher tiers even if you lose, your PPG reflects this.
    It does “average out”, as you said, because it is on a per game basis.  Any way, the points awarded even for losses are for the purpose of reflecting the quality of the loss.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

“the points awarded even for losses are for the purpose of reflecting the quality of the loss.”

So does that mean if I get my opponent to concede on Round 1(it’s happened), they should get negative points?  :evil:

• @Whackamatt:

“the points awarded even for losses are for the purpose of reflecting the quality of the loss.”

So does that mean if I get my opponent to concede on Round 1(it’s happened), they should get negative points?   :evil:

I think they should  :wink: but that is unpopular with players, and I needed a standard, objective system for this year that no one can argue with, since it is now the official league standard.

• Hi Gamer.
    How about we have 9 month regular season and 3 month playoff season? That way makes a full year so that playoff season will not overlap next year’s regular season and we crown champion within 1 year.

• Or we can make it even more interesting.

6 month regular season –-
    Play for the ranking list. Player will try to be in the top to avoid better player in the playoff.

6 month playoff season —
    Every player will be in the same single-elimination bracket chasing champion title. Even player at the bottom of the ranking list still get a chance. Top player will match bottom player. (eg. rank 1 VS rank last)

• '19 '18

While this sounds like a great idea and I’d love to participate in this, there is some big problem with this, MagicQ.

Newcomers during the 6 month playoff season can’t join the League. Since we get new players to this site quite regularly, I’m not in favor of this proposition.

The same is true for 9months/3months.

• Yeah…

and what do the players do who don’t have a playoff game going on, or have lost their playoff game?

• We can make it a double elimination bracket. Loser will fall into loser’s bracket.

I feel it more thrilling to watch or play elimination game.

• Then you find our current playoffs thrilling because they are ALL elimination games!  :-)

If you have double elimination, then a lot of games are not elimination games……

Glad you like playoff brackets, MagicQ - enjoy 'em while they last, I guess

Maybe next spring there will be another 2v2 tourney?
    You never know when a new tourney will start.

• '19 '18

@Gamerman01:

Too bad he’s only gonna play one playoff game  :evil:

• @MrRoboto:

@Gamerman01:

Too bad he’s only gonna play one playoff game  :evil:

:-) At least let him play for 3-4 rounds…

• '19 '18

Well he goes for a sealion.

I’ve won I think 8 or 9 out of 10 games after losing London (One being one of my very first games on this site, when I was way worse than now), but almost all these games did take longer than the average game.

So 3-4 rounds shouldn’t be the problem.

It’s really interesting how inefficient Sealion is. I’ve tried it two times with Axis too, successfully both times. Still lost both of these games.
    I’m not saying it doesn’t work. But you really have to hope that you don’t lose much Aircraft, everything more than 2 is hurting your chances a lot. And even then…

• '19 '18

I should add, that I didn’t play a lot of games against the very best players (according to your ranking), so maybe (read: probably) my experience with sealion is limited.

• No, my experiences have been similar - I have never lost a game where Sealion was attempted, whether successful or not.

• Every league player deserves a chance to chase for Champion title in the playoffs as a reward for the effort they make in the regular season,  no matter how small that chance may be.  Like recently a not well-known player ‘B’ beat a very best player ‘A’ in regular game. But player B didn’t get a chance for champion. That is a pity imo. We want to see black horse in the playoffs you know. Bigger scale of playoffs makes that happen.

Maybe we still allow a full year regular season and let all players in 1 playoffs bracket. Only a thought.

• '19 '18

I do agree, that it’s more exciting to see all players participate in the playoffs. It’s always fun to watch an underdog suddenly rise to fame (even if he only reaches quarterfinals maybe, when everyone thought he’d go out first round).

However, since A&A via forum is such a long game, increasing the number of rounds might lead to playoffs lasting for half a year. I fear all the excitement for a playoff tournament is going to vanish if it takes so long. That’s only my feeling and speculation, though.

• @MagicQ:

Every league player deserves a chance to chase for Champion title in the playoffs as a reward for the effort they make in the regular season,  no matter how small that chance may be.  Like recently a not well-known player ‘B’ beat a very best player ‘A’ in regular game. But player B didn’t get a chance for champion. That is a pity imo. We want to see black horse in the playoffs you know. Bigger scale of playoffs makes that happen.

Maybe we still allow a full year regular season and let all players in 1 playoffs bracket. Only a thought.

Disagree  :-)

bmnielsen needed to complete 8 games during the regular season just like anyone else.  It is not too much of a pity that he is not in the main playoff.  First of all, completing 4 games he is competing in the 2nd playoff.  Second of all, there’s next year.  He hasn’t been with us for most of the year, to my knowledge.

Just wait for March madness and you can get your Cinderella story fix there.
    This year, we started out with league rules being that ONLY THE TOP 2 players by win % with at least 4 games played would be playing for the championship.  So 2 4-0 players could go at it while players like Allweneed and I would not be participating in any post-season play at all.

If you want a big tournament involving tons of people, you can have one.  But that’s not what the league is for.  You can sponsor a tournament in the tournament area or get someone else to do it - as far as I know there’s nothing stopping anyone from hosting tournaments at any time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m