Global 40 leaves me with sour taste in my mouth

Just played my first game on this world map.
    I was Germany.
    This version sucks chickens.
    Moving 3 spaces during combat from naval base is a joke.
    American Bombers bombing Sea of Japan from west coast USA and having a place to land in Russia is a horrible broken mechanic of the map.
    If Usa stays neutral till turn 4, why do they get to declare war turn 3?
    Japans hands are tied unless they want the whole world at war.
    The Mongolian/russian treaty is a joke,
    If Japan decides to go land war, they are up a creek.
    USA Economy is way to large for any 1 axis nation to overcome.
    There is no need for a KGF stray, cause u can easily strangle and enclose Japan to a worthless fortified island in no time.

I’m glad I didn’t spend 200$ on this rubbish version.

• We should not use this language here. Especially for you. Let’s do better.

Is that better?

• Can’t please everybody.

• I think some1 has just died a horrible death at the hands of the allied armada ;-)?

Moving 2 or even 3 spaces in half a year is always a joke. Ships can move farther than that.
    But… with everything normally happening simultanuously, there has to be a line drawn to ranges somewhere I guess.

American Bombers bombing Sea of Japan from west coast USA and having a place to land in Russia is a horrible broken mechanic of the map.

It is an impossibility yes. You can take the landing zones away as Japan and there is not much the Russians can do about that. Yes, I’d rather see aircraft not being able to conduct combat if flying over half their range, but again, half a year is a long time. Aircraft can rebase and take off again in such a long period. Ofc given that there is a base available as ‘pitstop’. There are some spots on the map where aircraft ranges can be abused…

So they can gear up production. Makes sense: not being able to make CMs turns 1-2-3 but the production can go up turn 3.

I’d also rather see a DOW by Japan not automatically meaning the USA can DOW GE and IT in the same round…

If Japan enters Russian territories Kazachstan or Novosibirsk, the Mongolians do not care. Strange. I don’t have a problem with this treaty rule otherwise.

Japan can perfectly do just that if the USA goes KGF. Although it doesn’t win them the game it might tip the scales in favor of Germany… I think Japan better abuse the 6 VC rule in that case and engage only in a ‘minor war’ with China and India, loosing land territories over time except Shanghai and Hong Kong, which should be defended.

KGF see above. If the USA goes KJF… see below. All in all I think the USA is best served to wage a two front war being patient and slowly gaining critical mass on 1 map while being strong enough to defend on the other.

There is no need for a KGF stray, cause u can easily strangle and enclose Japan to a worthless fortified island in no time.

I never faced a serious KJF before but I imagine in such a case Japan can take the DEIs and isolate India with the headstart it is given and then with its large income engage into an ‘arms race’ with the USA enforcing a rough parity at sea for quite some turns. I DO think rushing India or engage in a serious war with Russia is not recommended during a KJF. In the meantime Germany and Italy are laughing. Quite an interesting situation which I’d hope to see sometimes in my games (hopefully NOT when I am Japan ;-)).

• '17

@ItIsILeClerc:

I never faced a serious KJF before but I imagine in such a case Japan can take the DEIs and isolate India with the headstart it is given and then with its large income engage into an ‘arms race’ with the USA enforcing a rough parity at sea for quite some turns.

You should give play-by-forum via tripleA a chance if you’d like to see it. KJF is an overwhelmingly popular strategy here.

In my last 30 games as Axis, I’ve seen KGF only two or three times, and each of those rare cases was a response to Sea Lion.

• I think playing just one game is not the best idea to make a review from.

The game requires many plays to make an assessment. It is the best AA game since MB days.

• @ItIsILeClerc:

I think some1 has just died a horrible death at the hands of the allied armada ;-)?

Moving 2 or even 3 spaces in half a year is always a joke. Ships can move farther than that.
    But… with everything normally happening simultanuously, there has to be a line drawn to ranges somewhere I guess.

It is an impossibility yes. You can take the landing zones away as Japan and there is not much the Russians can do about that. Yes, I’d rather see aircraft not being able to conduct combat if flying over half their range, but again, half a year is a long time. Aircraft can rebase and take off again in such a long period. Ofc given that there is a base available as ‘pitstop’. There are some spots on the map where aircraft ranges can be abused…

So they can gear up production. Makes sense: not being able to make CMs turns 1-2-3 but the production can go up turn 3.

I’d also rather see a DOW by Japan not automatically meaning the USA can DOW GE and IT in the same round…

If Japan enters Russian territories Kazachstan or Novosibirsk, the Mongolians do not care. Strange. I don’t have a problem with this treaty rule otherwise.

Japan can perfectly do just that if the USA goes KGF. Although it doesn’t win them the game it might tip the scales in favor of Germany… I think Japan better abuse the 6 VC rule in that case and engage only in a ‘minor war’ with China and India, loosing land territories over time except Shanghai and Hong Kong, which should be defended.

KGF see above. If the USA goes KJF… see below. All in all I think the USA is best served to wage a two front war being patient and slowly gaining critical mass on 1 map while being strong enough to defend on the other.

I never faced a serious KJF before but I imagine in such a case Japan can take the DEIs and isolate India with the headstart it is given and then with its large income engage into an ‘arms race’ with the USA enforcing a rough parity at sea for quite some turns. I DO think rushing India or engage in a serious war with Russia is not recommended during a KJF. In the meantime Germany and Italy are laughing. Quite an interesting situation which I’d hope to see sometimes in my games (hopefully NOT when I am Japan ;-)).

Kazahk and Novosibrisk don’t border mongolia.  The treaty is pretty good and makes sense.

@ItIsILeClerc:

I think some1 has just died a horrible death at the hands of an allied armada

Actually as Germany I was doing quit well, Had  sizeable army, huge Luftwaffe, and a capable surface fleet when Japan went belly up.

I am convinced even after 1 game, a dedicated kill Japan first stray, will always win. I honestly don’t see how Japan cab counter.
    Sure you can land grab china, maybe even invade Russia, spring the Mongols, but if India is still kicking when Us fleet arrives in Alaska. Your done, US Bombs anything it wants in sea of Japan, Japan gets stuck on its Island, Us or Russia takes or holds  land territory for landing zones for Us Bombers, Once Japan has no boats, IC gets bombed into stone age and Japan is building 13 ipcs for 1 inf.

The US should never enter the game unless provoked.
    We didn’t enter till Pearl, and if pearl NVR happens, y should the isolationist nation ever enter.

US Gear up, their peace time economy is larger then Germans war time economy. How is this even fair?

They took 2 good stand alone games, and made an allied favored game

If UK has to split their income, The USA should have to as well.
    The USA is Way over powered. END OF STORY.

The 2 Global varients made by forum members blow this steamy pile away.

I will say that the actual game unit molds were pretty sweet. I did enjoy those little eye candies.

• Maybe axis just got out played.

Or maybee its was the 73 ipc from USA and the additional 50 ipcs from UK and the 12 ipcs from china vs Japans 40 something IPCs

I’m not saying that the IJN player played brilliantly, cause he didn’t, I just don’t see how the Axis can over come a KJF.

and no I was not IJN

Its simple math man, the combined Pacific allied income is far greater then japans, Japan can’t expand with out bringing everyone to the party.

• The way axis beats it is that they win in Europe.

• I lost, the other side cheated….wait they didnt cheat? THIS GAME SUCKS!!!

lol this post is pretty funny, just one guy raging after losing one game…

I hope you realize that nearly every game of G40 on here starts with a minimum 6 bid for allies, in some cases much higher.

Lol I am rageing, Frustrated as how IJN Sucked so bad.

I just don’t get it, my opponent tells us IJN is 1 transport away at game beginning to conquer basically everything but Hawaii. I can see that this is possible, how does IJN stay afloat if US goes KJF?

Does IjN want US in war ASAP?
    Does Germany want Russia in war ASAP

Was it my fault as Germany in not engaging Russia T1 or T2

I avoided war w RU till rd 4, used this time to build up navy and AF.
    I know this is NVR a first rd buy w Germany, But
    2 tech rolls which gave me H Bombers and I bought a BB
    Crushed France, Normandy and Yugo, sank Uk fleets not containing a BB

Turn 2
    Carrier, 2 trans, 2 destroyers, cruiser, 1 dice
    conquered what was left of mainland Europe.
    sank some French and UK Ships raided Canada convoy

Turn 3
    cruiser, transport, 11 inf.
    didn’t do much attacking, prepared for coming land battle.
    Forced UK Fleet to Canada, took Sweden, loaded a inf on Italian tranny bound for cairo

Turn 4
    3 tanks, 10 inf.
    Invaded Russia,he had 3 nice stacks up against our Eastern border, 14+ inf + 2-3 “others” in them w no Air def. In all of them
    I smashed top stack with grunts n tanks, middle stack was beaten w, inf n planes
    Took Leningrad via navy and air.
    Southern stack I left alone hoping he would push them in to grey territory, and he did

Turn 5
    3 tanks, bomber, 6 inf.
    retook Leningrad, smashed his invading 14 inf stack, started push on Moscow.

This point in the game Stuff went really sour for my allies.
    I did what I could to help, but its wasn’t enough. 
    It certainly didn’t help that Italy only had a wounded BB survive it’s T1 naval engagement w the UK med fleet

I think my allies just were not that smart. IJN Player didn’t listen till it was two late, Italy was tunnel visioned , and I bought a BB, LOL

• I dont play tech…

• You bought heavy navy as germany for the first 2 rounds.  That hurts you immensely.  I tend to buy maybe a few boats round 1 and ground, then all ground (mechs and tanks) round 2 and onward.  You need to threaten to kill moscow around turn 6 or 7.  Not going after seazones 110 and 111 is also a major problem.  Those battleships are too valuable to let them get away.

You can easily get away with attacking paris, yugo, 111, 110, and 106 round 1.

• I also have the feeling you fell into the trap of the two-front war.

As Germany you need to try to prevent this for as long as possible and focus down 1 target: either Russia or London. Attack the areas ghr2 suggested. Tech rolls only dilute your strength. It is more of a toy for late in the game or the USA but even they are better off buying units to thwart the Axis threat, but thats another thing and more of a personal feeling perhaps…

Well, if USA is KJF then you have at least Europe for yourself and your buddy Italy and have a serious chance to get rid of either Moscow or London, whichever you desire. Once you have done that, the USA cannot continue to focus on Japan only because you are then well on your way towards winning on the European map so they better have Japan Isolated by that time. If you can manage to have Japan survive till then you might have a shot. At least you can make it a very long game before you go down ;-).

• Wheres that you tube video of Hitler looses at A & A    LOL
    Keep trying it will come around
    Japan can turn into a monster if U.S. goes heavy in the Atlantic
    Good luck and good waring
    S.A.

• So basically Germany sat on its butt while Japan flailed about trying to go toe to toe with USA…lol

;)

Germany goal #1 kill UK navy ASAP, and take France of course
                  goal#2 decide one of 3 basic strategies.
    a) Sealion,
    b) Barbarossa,
    c) dow strict nuetrals while hitting the Med and Africa/Middle East

Either way, if USA is going KJF then Germany needs to play aggressive

• Customizer

While I don’t agree that this game “sucks chickens” I do think it takes some brass to call the “darling” of the A&A an ugly redheaded stepchild as a moderator knowing you’ll catch some heat for it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m