Victory conditions and capturing a capital: capital in exile

• '17 '16

Did anyone try to play a different victory condition in Global or 1942?

Almost every time a capital is captured, it means the end of the game, for us.
    We never played for Victory cities. Is there any incentive to persevere till the real downfall of 2 Axis power or 2 Allies powers or, at least captured all the victory cities?

Did anyone tried something else?

Here is some ideas put by Flashman, which I found interesting to improve the aftermath of a conquered capital.

The standard setup is fictional in several ways:

It is deliberately “balanced” to give the Axis an even or near-even chance of victory. This is wildly unhistorical, but entirely understandable for a game.

Japan and the USSR are assumed to be enemies from the start, which completely annihilates any possibility of a game playing like real history. If you want a full-blown Pacific war then you need to enforce a non-aggression pact between USSR & Japan until either Germany or the Western Allies are defeated. Even then, Japan might decide to attack Britain on the Asian mainland rather than burn up their units fighting America for empty ocean.

It could be argued that the war was in effect decided (German failure to take Moscow) before it even became a World War (Pearl Harbor), so a completely historical setup would make for a dull game.

Even so, I’ve always felt too much emphasis is placed on capitals; for example I feel that a power should always be able to continue collecting income and building units as long as it controls an original production centre (i.e. factory.)

I played too many games of Revised which were really all about who can pile the most units into Moscow; often with 3 or 4 different powers each controlling the Soviet capital in a single game round.

So I prefer: a power is defeated only when it loses its last home PC/factory, BUT when this happens it is permanently out of the game, and cannot be liberated.

For example, France was defeated in 1940. When the Allies “liberated” France in 1944 its resourses became available to the Allies, but new French units were equipped and supplied by the UK & USA. At the most, I would allow limited infantry placement in Liberated powers, and these would be UK/US units rather than a resurrected French player getting back in the game.

It was more economical to supply French recruits with American equipment than to rebuild the French war industry from scratch. The assumption should be that a defeated country has its weapons industry either looted or disabled. It can supply man power and basic IPC income, nothing more.

Flashman

I’m so ******* haaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra1d6fLLQZ0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofSP8NXQXI

http://harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18537

I’m thinking about surrender only half of the IPCs on hands when a capital is conquered.

And left another factory be the capital in exile.

Can it work?

Should it be no surrender of any IPCs left after one capital is captured?
    And forbidding the conqueror to use the IC in the capital as a Major Factory but only as a Minor IC?

Is this kind of HR will be bias in favour of Allies?

• Customizer

You could argue for secondary capitals i.e. use victory cities as such. If the major capital is capture as long as a nation holds it’s own VC it can collect 1/2 it’s income. Just a thought.

• '17 '16

@toblerone77:

You could argue for secondary capitals i.e. use victory cities as such. If the major capital is capture as long as a nation holds it’s own VC it can collect 1/2 it’s income. Just a thought.

Good idea!

However, I think that simply the face number of IPCs income from territory will already be very reduce for a capital in exile. I wouldn’t cut in half this meagre resource.

• Customizer

@Baron:

@toblerone77:

Good idea!

However, I think that simply the face number of IPCs income from territory will already be very reduce for a capital in exile. I wouldn’t cut in half this meagre resource.

Actually Baron you are right. I think a country should collect all it’s income until ALL it’s originally owned VCs are captured. The US if invaded by a foreign power would not give up. USSR is also a good example.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m