Balkanizing It: Bulgaria and Romania As Stand-Alone Nations?

• '14

I have been toying with some house rules that would piggyback on to the new tournament rules in development for A&A 1914. Among several things, it would have Romania (not sure about Romania actually) and Bulgaria as stand-alones (as I see some have done in their tweaking). Just a few things I would like to solicit opinion on

1.Bulgaria: It would enter as the very last country in R1. I plan to start them off with 7 infantry and 2 artillery. Bulgarian infantry would be able to reroll defensive and offensive die misses, scoring on "1"s during the reroll (to represent their high quality during the war and previous experience in the Balkan Wars). Until the CPs conquer Serbia (representing the open rail link to A-H and Germany), Bulgaria would not be able to produce artillery. [Note: to be fair, Russian infantry in Serbia would be able to reroll misses on defensive dice, scoring on “1s”. Russia would also be able to place one infantry per turn in Serbia. Serbia would not be a stand-alone nation but function with the Russians on their turn. I am also toying with an evacuation for Serbs via Albania and their later reappearence in a subsequent round). Bulgaria would be able to produce infantry, of course, functioning a bit like China in the WWII versions of A&A. It could also save its IPCs.

2. Romania: Not sure how to start these guys off. Their army should be larger than 5 infantry and one artillery, but they would not enjoy a bonus like Bulgarian infantry (a large army, but nowhere near the battle experience of Bulgaria or Serbia). Would it be better to simply have Romania enter in R2, mobilized, and operating with the Russians on their turn (i.e. no distinction between a Russian and Romania piece)? Should Romania operate as a seperate economy, with troops mobilizing in Romania?

3. Greece. The rules I am messing around with would make it possible to violate Greek territory without mobilizing them before X round (probably round 4). Bulgaria, France, Britian, etc. routinely violated Greek territory without too much done on the Greek part–for a time.

4. Russia would probably also have an increase in infantry, to start, along certain points of the Eastern Front. Their relatively weak economy would remain as-is.

What do you think? The idea is to make the Balkans the fiesty sump that they were for both the Allies and CPs. Thanks!

• @protevangelium:

I have been toying with some house rules that would piggyback on to the new tournament rules in development for A&A 1914. Among several things, it would have Romania (not sure about Romania actually) and Bulgaria as stand-alones (as I see some have done in their tweaking). Just a few things I would like to solicit opinion on

1.Bulgaria: It would enter as the very last country in R1. I plan to start them off with 7 infantry and 2 artillery. Bulgarian infantry would be able to reroll defensive and offensive die misses, scoring on "1"s during the reroll (to represent their high quality during the war and previous experience in the Balkan Wars). Until the CPs conquer Serbia (representing the open rail link to A-H and Germany), Bulgaria would not be able to produce artillery. [Note: to be fair, Russian infantry in Serbia would be able to reroll misses on defensive dice, scoring on “1s”. Russia would also be able to place one infantry per turn in Serbia. Serbia would not be a stand-alone nation but function with the Russians on their turn. I am also toying with an evacuation for Serbs via Albania and their later reappearence in a subsequent round). Bulgaria would be able to produce infantry, of course, functioning a bit like China in the WWII versions of A&A. It could also save its IPCs.

2. Romania: Not sure how to start these guys off. Their army should be larger than 5 infantry and one artillery, but they would not enjoy a bonus like Bulgarian infantry (a large army, but nowhere near the battle experience of Bulgaria or Serbia). Would it be better to simply have Romania enter in R2, mobilized, and operating with the Russians on their turn (i.e. no distinction between a Russian and Romania piece)? Should Romania operate as a seperate economy, with troops mobilizing in Romania?

3. Greece. The rules I am messing around with would make it possible to violate Greek territory without mobilizing them before X round (probably round 4). Bulgaria, France, Britian, etc. routinely violated Greek territory without too much done on the Greek part–for a time.

4. Russia would probably also have an increase in infantry, to start, along certain points of the Eastern Front. Their relatively weak economy would remain as-is.

What do you think? The idea is to make the Balkans the fiesty sump that they were for both the Allies and CPs. Thanks!

[/quote]

if you’d like to change it, tripple the starting units of bulgaria and change nothing else. it will make axis bit stronger, which is needed, certainly with the loss of troops and money for ottomans.

• I have a rule that gives every minor power a red number which represents the number of infantry units it is allowed to build after its entry. (only one time)
    (look at my german game map)

For example Serbia beeing attacked by AH mobilizes 5 Inf and 1 Art. If AH doesnt manage to conquer Serbia with their initial attack, Serbia is allowed to place 2 more Inf units in Serbia.

1914Alpha9 (1) (1).png

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m