• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Hello,

I have a question for Submarine at 42 2nd edition.  Let say Germany submarine stays at US sea zone that is next to U.S. IC.  In US’s turn US dropped a destroyer, transport x2 and aircraft carrier with fighters without attaching the submarine;  now it’s in Germany’ turn, since submarine is not a surface warship, are they allowed to retreat considering a destroyer is present?  in menu I see there is rules regarding surface warships (which they can choose to retreat), but I don’t see note for submarine/transport (Transport possibly dies by itself).  Anyone can tell me the answer?

BTW I played once today and my team was killed by Germany’s sea lion action…That hurts  :oops:

• Interesting question as the rules and FAQ don’t directly address this.  My best guess is the destroyer negates the submarine’s special stealth ability and then you proceed as if it is a surface warship and are forced to retreat or declare combat on your turn.  If I’m wrong I’m sure Krieg will correct me.

• Hi Innohub.
    On Germany’s go, they have the option of staying to fight(and die, by the sounds of it)or to move away.
    They cannot not do either. They could even move out of the SZ into another hostile one to attack.
    The destroyer stops movement through the SZ, not out of it.

as you have realised it is perfectly legal for both sides to occupy the same SZ, as you can always place new units where you have a functioning Factory and it happens after the Combat Phase.
    As I said, it is now up to the German player what to do.
    See page 12.

• Official Q&A

@wittmann:

See page 12.

Indeed.  On page 12 of the Rulebook you will notice that the rules address what may occur when your sea units (which includes subs and transports) begin their turn in a sea zone containing enemy surface warships.  Your sea units must either remain and fight or move away in combat movement (possibly to fight somewhere else).

Of course, if your sea units begin their turn in a sea zone containing enemy subs and/or transports (which are not surface warships, and therefore don’t make the sea zone hostile), they are free to act normally.  They are not required to fight or move away, but may do either if you wish.

The important distinction here is that it doesn’t matter what type(s) of sea units you have in the sea zone, but it does matter what type(s) the enemy has.  The type(s) that the enemy has determines whether or not the sea zone is hostile, and therefore whether or not any special action is required on the part of your sea units.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Crystal clear now.  Thank you for all you guys’ info.

I have one more question related to transport - assume there is an allies (let say British) transport sitting in a sea zone between 2 lands - one is controlled by US and one is controlled by Axis.  If this is US turn, and there is a US land unit at one land, May I use that transport to load and unload this land unit at same turn so that I can fight with that Axis land unit?  My feeling is I might not able to do this but want to double check.

• You are right: not in one turn.

A ground unit can load on an allied Transport, but it cannot offload until its next turn. In the meantime, the Transport could move in its owner’s turn, but as I said, the Cargo cannot unload until its owner’s next turn. It makes sense if you think about it.

You can make this arrangement work, but must ensure the Transport is protected throughout this two turn move, or you risk losing both the transport and its cargo.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Thanks again for quick reply! :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m