• The book states that you can only put a major complex in territories you have owned since the beggining of your turn. Manchuria fits that description for Japan.

But it also has a Chinese national marker so is it played like it was not an orignal Japanese territory.

Can Japan build a major complex in Manchuria?

• Official Q&A

Japan cannot build a major IC in Manchuria.  Original control is determined by the emblem printed on the territory, not by which power controls it at the beginning of the game.

• '13

Yep, the only places you can build majors for japan are in korea and siam.

• Just Korea.

• '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Quintus:

Yep, the only places you can build majors for japan are in korea and siam.

Can’t be in Siam, since the printed value of a territory needs to be 3+ in order to have a Major Complex

• Customizer

Yeah, Siam can’t even build a Minor complex.
    Kind of feel sorry for Japan a little. They are really restricted as far as building ICs are concerned. They can only build a Major IC in Korea, Minors everywhere else and none on any islands, which make up a lot of Japan’s best possessions (DEI, Philippines).
    I’ve always thought that Borneo, Java and Sumatra, all worth 4 IPCs, should be able to support at least a Minor complex. Then again, that may make them too hard to take back from Japan. OR, if ANZAC or India put one down there before Japan declares war, might make it near impossible for Japan to take.

By comparison, look at how many theoretical places Germany could make Major ICs outside of the two they already have – Norway, Holland/Belgium, Greater Southern Germany, Slovakia/Hungary and Romania.  Imagine Germany with 7 Major ICs all cranking out 10 guys per round. Yes, I know that would be $210 per round, not to mention the $150 for the 5 more Major ICs, but perhaps if Germany had a lot more NOs for silly stuff like having a tank in each territory or $10 each round they have more stuff than any other country or $5 per unit they have in Italian territories. Then they would make enough money to buy all those ICs and guys.
    Okay, that’s just silliness and nonsense. Just sayin’.

• I have always thought Norway and Belgium/Holland are ridiculous options for a German Major. The Germans have owned them  for a month when the game starts, yet they can churn out 10 units if they invest 30 IPCs there.
    You can conquer the UK as the Axis, yet never churn out the same number when the UK’s industrial base is longer established(200 years).
    Even the Japanese have been in China much longer than the Germans have been in Norway and Belgium/Holland, yet they cannot bring the industry up to a similar  level.

I do think ICs on Islands would unbalance the game unnecessarily though Knp.

• Customizer

Yeah, you are probably right about the islands.
    I understand what you are getting at about Germany being able to put a Major IC in Norway. I have never put a Major up there, but I have put Minors in Norway before.
    The rule states that to place a Major IC, the territory has to be worth 3 or more IPCs and be one of your nation’s original territories. One possible solution would be to use HBG’s 1939 variant map. I think you could still set it up to play 1940 and the only original German territories would actually be IN Germany itself. They couldn’t even place a Major in Romania.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m