Real league game situation - dispute going to league admin

• '12

anyone want to give their two cents while we wait on the official league admin ruling?

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30854.new#new

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Without getting into the nitty gritty, this is what I think:

Always play your opponent at their best.  That means give a little - because sooner or later you’ll need to take a little too.

If Me1945 is so close to victory, it shouldn’t be a problem.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Bold I play like you– fast and a little loose.  I am generally very forgiving too.  I wod never hold some one to cm moves before dice are rolled. I suppose technically a scramble decision could lock the move since you’ve prompted a reaction from the other player and it’d be super hard to tell the difference between a player who wanted to change after facing a scramble he’d hoped would not happen and an honest change.

• '12

hmmm interesting thought karl - BUT, wouldn’t that apply only if the player SCRAMBLED?  then to say, hold on i’m gonna change those moves, i want to send more at the zone you are scrambling into….

now THAT would be dirty.  however, if a player is sending LESS into a zone where the player originally didn’t scramble, how could the move even possibly be dirty?

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I agree with you bold.  However, the mechanics of the rules dictate that all combat moves must be made before scramble thus technically you can’t change cm’s after. That being said the human element makes these bright lines oppressive and contrary to good play

• '12

I am a reasonable man… I would be happy to hear how Me could conclude that asking for his scramble then changing the combat moves after he did not scramble (which he initially agreed to) gives me some unfair advantage.

• I think the heart of issue should be intent.  If an opponent put me in this scenario, I would probably write something like this: if my scram decision honestly had no effect on your change and you just messed up and are fixing it go ahead,  but ask for the scram again please. 
    In that way you can kind of gauge the change and see if it effected it.  And I obviously don’t think you can change anything in the scram battle!

• @Boldfresh:

hmmm interesting thought karl - BUT, wouldn’t that apply only if the player SCRAMBLED?� then to say, hold on i’m gonna change those moves, i want to send more at the zone you are scrambling into….�

now THAT would be dirty.� however, if a player is sending LESS into a zone where the player originally didn’t scramble, how could the move even possibly be dirty?

I’ll only speak in general as I haven’t been involved in the game, but I would be quite peeved if someone removed pieces from a sea battle after I declined a scramble (and as anyone who has played me can vouch for, I am VERY relaxed about edits and changing minds). Knowing a player’s intent to scramble is a glimpse into their overall strategy and risk aversion. After knowing that there is no threat (or no appetite for risk), the piece you moved could now be used to shore up another theater that could previously have been weak as a result of needing to overcompensate because of the unknown of scrambling. You have gained a piece of information that shouldn’t have been available prior to combat moves. Scrambling is the defensive version of threat projection. If you don’t know whether or not I want to scramble, you have to over commit to insure you don’t get diced. I’m sure there was no malice intended here, but this situation gives the impression of trying to game the system.

• '12

Understood zigg, if there was ever a chance for a scramle in either case.  In neither cas was there any chance he would scramble…  ZERO.

• '12

@Ziggurat:

@Boldfresh:

hmmm interesting thought karl - BUT, wouldn’t that apply only if the player SCRAMBLED?� then to say, hold on i’m gonna change those moves, i want to send more at the zone you are scrambling into….�

now THAT would be dirty.� however, if a player is sending LESS into a zone where the player originally didn’t scramble, how could the move even possibly be dirty?

I’ll only speak in general as I haven’t been involved in the game, but I would be quite peeved if someone removed pieces from a sea battle after I declined a scramble (and as anyone who has played me can vouch for, I am VERY relaxed about edits and changing minds). Knowing a player’s intent to scramble is a glimpse into their overall strategy and risk aversion. After knowing that there is no threat (or no appetite for risk), the piece you moved could now be used to shore up another theater that could previously have been weak as a result of needing to overcompensate because of the unknown of scrambling. You have gained a piece of information that shouldn’t have been available prior to combat moves. Scrambling is the defensive version of threat projection. If you don’t know whether or not I want to scramble, you have to over commit to insure you don’t get diced. I’m sure there was no malice intended here, but this situation gives the impression of trying to game the system.

also there’s nothing to really glimpse into here.  i understand your point, but this is a very extreme case.  i knew very well that there was no way he would scramble in the first case and was so sure he wouldn’t scramble the second time i just said if you wanna go ahead and scramble and run the sea battle before your next turn go ahead.

• '12

@Boldfresh:

@Ziggurat:

@Boldfresh:

also there’s nothing to really glimpse into here.  i understand your point, but this is a very extreme case.  i knew very well that there was no way he would scramble in the first case and was so sure he wouldn’t scramble the second time i just said if you wanna go ahead and scramble and run the sea battle before your next turn go ahead.

in other words, it could be conceivable one could game the system, especially if the defender scrambles and the attacker wants to ADD to the battle, but this is just about as extreme as you could imagine since it would have been lots of boats against only 2 ftrs max.

• TripleA

@Infrastructure:

I think the heart of issue should be intent.  If an opponent put me in this scenario, I would probably write something like this: if my scram decision honestly had no effect on your change and you just messed up and are fixing it go ahead,  but ask for the scram again please.   
    In that way you can kind of gauge the change and see if it effected it.  And I obviously don’t think you can change anything in the scram battle!

Here’s my understanding of the dispute. You (Bold) asked for a scramble, got an answer then changed your combat moves. If that’s not right please correct me.

If that is what happened, then my opinion is the same as what Infrastructure has already said. If it was simply a mistake and the decision to scramble or not had no impact then there should be no problem (you definitely shouldn’t be able to change that battle though). If this type of thing happened multiple times throughout a game I would call bulls*t and not allow it, but I don’t think that is an issue as Bold isn’t that type of player.

This is a vast game and we all forget little things we intended to do from time to time (as anyone who has played me can attest, I am definitely guilty of this). At the end of the day, your opponent should be offered another chance to scramble as your changes may affect his/her decision, but I don’t really see any issue here. Again, I don’t know the game so please correct me if I am way off.

• @Boldfresh:

@Boldfresh:

@Ziggurat:

@Boldfresh:

in other words, it could be conceivable one could game the system, especially if the defender scrambles and the attacker wants to ADD to the battle, but this is just about as extreme as you could imagine since it would have been lots of boats against only 2 ftrs max.

I agree, this is a very extreme case and I would let you change the move (especially since I think your confidence at winning said game is highly irrational :P). However, ME does certainly have the right to not be as flexible. I was answering the question about how removing units from a scramble situation could ever be viewed as dirty. In my mind, changing any part of a scramble situation (after receiving an answer) where the outcome is even the slightest bit in doubt is not right. This does bring up one curiosity to me though. Why bother even asking the first time for scramble orders? If there’s zero chance they’ll scramble, just get on with it and can edit in if they want to suicide. It seems like a little less communication would’ve prevented this from ever being an issue :P.

• Normally I would lean more towards Me’s side in this. However, Bold made it clear that he was going to be bring LESS to the battle and he was also going to change what he was going to land where. He didn’t get into the specifics, but Me knew that change was coming and knew that the sz112 potential battle was changing some. And he had no issue with it.

@Boldfresh:

ok, i put that move together before running into a meeting.  now that i’ve had a little more time to look it over, i think i want to change it a bit.  landing only in norway and taking 1 less ftr into z112.  doubt that will change your scramble but if it does, we can run it.

@Boldfresh:

yeah, gonna just redo the move.  will still have overwhelming force going into z112.

@Me1945:

No problem. Take your time.

The only thing that I see wrong as things stand now is that Me was never asked for a scramble decision the 2nd time around. Bold did cover himself by stating that Me could roll the dice himself if he wanted to scramble. But I doubt very many of us would scramble 2 fighters vs 2 dd, 3 ca, and a bb (100% loss according to triplea calc regardless of whether an allied fighter was in the battle or not). Granted Bold does get diced from time to time . … .  :-P

• Me never indicated that his scramble decision might change. On the flip side, he never actually said that the scramble decision wouldn’t change either.

• '12

Bump to Jenn

• Coming in late to the discussion, and ultimately Jenn has to make the decision. My opinion?

• I think this is a lesson for all of us to set our expectations with each other before the game, and if needed put them in writing (pm or otherwise). I tend to tell anyone I play, via pm, that I believe in playing the game like we’re standing over the board - an expectation of trust, fair play, and good intentions. So I like to be very forgiving of my opponent and hope they do the same with me, as we’re all human  :-)  If a game is to be played in a very strict way, directly by the rules and unforgiving of mistakes, it’s important to communicate this respectfully and honestly before the game.

• We should remember that we’re all sitting behind computer screens here - so sometimes it’s easy to say things we wouldn’t necessarily say face to face. I’ve been guilty of this a few times  :oops: Ultimately, you’re both excellent players, playing a game meant to be fun. Usually it takes one person to back down and say let’s move on from this and realize the bigger picture (the health of the league) is more important than this particular incident. So I think regardless of what Jenn rules, you guys should take the time to be peaceful, behind the scenes through pms, and suss it out there.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Me1945 is right that Bold made a technical mistake, but the mistake was a technicality that does not have bearing on the game. Bold could have made in final move (no planes in 112) in the first place and Me1945 would not have scrambled because the odds there are overwhelming (if he wants the right to scramble, then they should go ahead and have him scramble).

In other situations where the scrambling decision is more consequential, then what Bold did is incorrect. You can’t take out units off a scramble zone and proceed without asking for scramble orders again.

In this particular case, Me1945 is mopping up Bold (India, South Africa are falling, the remainder of Russia is falling). It’s very possible that Bold may be able to make the game drag for a few turns as he usually does, but I would personally just make the technical point for future reference and proceed to finish the game.

• '12

thanks for the thoughts omega.  better keep watching this game a little longer.

• '12

@Boldfresh:

thanks for the thoughts omega.  better keep watching this game a little longer.

i did tell him i would be taking in less.  since the norway landing was only a walkin, it’s clear that he still has the option to scramble after the fact and prevent the landing if he would so desire to attempt it.  in fact i think i explicitly stated it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m