• I went for hiking in the Dolomites (Italian Front) the last days. (Terrible weather, nothing but snow all over the trenches on Mount Piano) Nevertheless it was very impressive to see the Lagazuoi (Minewar near Cortina d�Ampezzo) and the many Austrian fortifications in South Tyrol.

I have also visited the Battlefields of Verdun in Lorraine and the Lingekopf in the Vosges several years ago. For this summer I plan to visit Chemin de Dames (especially Craonne) and maybe the Somme area. Does anyone have suggestions for detailed maps of the old frontlines for hiking or maybe has experiences by visiting WW1 battlefields in Northwestern France/Belgium himself?

Always thought it would be advantageous to have the old ww1 frontlines as an app in somewhat like google maps.

For myself I can recommend the Lingekopf in the Vosges:

and Verdun where my grand-granddad fought:

Did some of you ever visited the Battlefields of the Great war?

• @Chacmool:

I went for hiking in the Dolomites (Italian Front) the last days. (Terrible weather, nothing but snow all over the trenches on Mount Piano) Nevertheless it was very impressive to see the Lagazuoi (Minewar near Cortina d�Ampezzo) and the many Austrian fortifications in South Tyrol.

I have also visited the Battlefields of Verdun in Lorraine and the Lingekopf in the Vosges several years ago. For this summer I plan to visit Chemin de Dames (especially Craonne) and maybe the Somme area. Does anyone have suggestions for detailed maps of the old frontlines for hiking or maybe has experiences by visiting WW1 battlefields in Northwestern France/Belgium himself?

Always thought it would be advantageous to have the old ww1 frontlines as an app in somewhat like google maps.

For myself I can recommend the Lingekopf in the Vosges:

and Verdun where my grand-granddad fought:

Did some of you ever visited the Battlefields of the Great war?

Yes I visited the Somme, Verdun and Ieper. I’m from Flanders so Ieper is only 1 hour drive from here. If you buy a road map of the area all the graveyards and historical places are marked.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

watch out for land-mines… etc…

• Went to Omaha beach a few weeks back it was awesome. Really wanted to go to some WW1 battlefields in France unfortunately ran out of time. Keep the pictures coming Chacmool their excellent.

• '13

I visited some of the Maginot Line fortifications near Strausburg when I was stationed in Hieldelberg in the mid 90’s.  Cool tour.  I’ll try to dig up some pics.

• Very cool Mark71 I would like to see them. Thanks for sharing them.

• Customizer

I was curious about the places I was at in the 1990 gulf war and was amazed to still be able to find some of our fortifications though satellite images.
    Some of the places looked blurred out so the Saudis must have built defenses in those areas and did not want them to be displayed. I wonder how visible some of the WW1 battlefields look from satellite views. It’s the only way for those of us to see the actual battlefields without actually traveling to those locations.

• Where were those fortifications?  Can you link to a place in google maps?

• '10

Amazing images.  I can imagine that the feeling of the field is lost in pictures.

Thanks for sharing

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m