• Discussion on the great mustache supported by Otto Von Bismarck got me thinking about the subject of facial hair. I decided to ask the guys out there your stance on facial hair. How many of you have mustaches or beards vs clean shaved?

Any women with beards feel free to join the discussion.  LoL :-o

• I shave every two days, three if I am feeling lazy.
    It can be a drag at times but, except when I had decided to go to as the Elizabethan Blackadder and doing the 30 day charity Movember event, have never favoured facial hair.

• Talking of fancy dress, my sister in law’s 25 year old boyfriend had a fantastic beard.
    He could have passed for a Das Boot Kapitanleutnant.
    I was quite impressed. He lacked the pallor associated with being depth charged and eating little or no fruit and veg and denied light, otherwise he had the look.
    He had not heard of the film.

• I support a beard, I have had it for seven years. I keep it short because of my job. But on my bucket list is to have a super long beard. My youngest son has never seen my bare face.

• Worsham: Are you trying to emulate one of those Civil War Generals we love so much?
    Good on you!
    I think I did look good as Lord Blackadder. I like the Medieval princely look.
    I looked awful after one month’s growth of moustache.
    Like a Greek waiter or greasy Turk.

Al was so happy when I shaved!
    I really did not get kissed that much last November.
    And it was her idea!

• @wittmann:

Worsham: Are you trying to emulate one of those Civil War Generals we love so much?
    Good on you!
    I think I did look good as Lord Blackadder. I like the Medieval princely look.
    I looked awful after one month’s growth of moustache.
    Like a Greek waiter or greasy Turk.

Al was so happy when I shaved!
    I really did not get kissed that much last November.
    And it was her idea!

I’m starting to get some grey in my beard. A Civil War General does come to mind with my beard.

• I have had grey in mine for as long as I can remember.
    In my case I cannot blame it on my children: she is three!
    Maybe blaming it on a long line of nagging girlfriends sounds more apt.

Some Generals really looked the part with flowing beards.
    Hood, for example, with his piercing blue eyes and somber face comes to mind(later pics).
    Or TJ…

Edit: Hood was your age at Gettysburg.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

there is no selection for “dusting”, “5 o’clock shadow” or “sharp stubble” which is what I prefer.

That said, I’d pick clean shaven over “beardo” anyday.

You can never completely trust a man with a beard.

• @Gargantua:

But if we compare bearded men of history vs clean shaved men of history, bearded men win.

• But if we compare bearded men of history vs clean shaved men of history, bearded men win.

Thats because most of them are murderers or in prison…

• @Gargantua:

Ever heard the saying “men with facial hair have something to hide”

• '10

I have a beard from October to March and am clean shaven from March to October.

• @Imperious:

But if we compare bearded men of history vs clean shaved men of history, bearded men win.

Thats because most of them are murderers or in prison…

Wasn’t your favorite American President, Teddy Roosevelt, a supporter of some iconic facial hair?  8-)

• Customizer

Guys,

––I really don’t know why I’m responding to this thread,…but when I was in High school back in the late 70’s full beards were really in vogue, just think of Michael McDonald and others. I have had my full beard for 25+ years now, and I would imagine that if I shaved it off nobody would recognize me. Some of my long-time friends have never seen me without the beard. I’ve been a railroad conductor for 12+ years and just recently let the chin whiskers grow about 6 inches for a change. It looked good If I say so myself. My girlfriend said I looked like a well-trimmed Civil War General, haha. Now it’s back to a more civilised length. I guess whenever I eventually meet some of you in person you’ll somewhat know what I look like. About 6’-2" or 3" and a full beard.
    ----So I guess I’ll vote for Generals having full beards (for whatever that’s worth).

“Tall Paul”

• Wasn’t your favorite American President, Teddy Roosevelt, a supporter of some iconic facial hair?  cool

After 1950, facial hair became the domain of hoodlums, misfits, and Hippies in some form or another. Of course exceptions exist, but these types are often prone to committing crimes. I have no idea what the relationship between the two is, but it does exist.

Many people just have them for other reasons. But looking at the criminal population, the vast majority of them try to grow facial hair, tattoos, etc.

Tattoos and facial hair seem to go hand in hand.

• My facial hair batting line up would look like this:

1. Chuck Norris
    2. Frederick Douglass
    3. Robert E. Lee
    4. Karl Marx
    5. Billy Gibbons
    6. Charles Darwin
    7. Confucius
    8. Wyatt Earp
    9. John Lennon
    EH. Paul von Hindenburg

on the bench: Stalin, Hitler, Sigmund Freud, Dan Fouts, Gustavus Adolphus and Tall Paul

• @wittmann:

Some Generals really looked the part with flowing beards.
    Hood, for example, with his piercing blue eyes and somber face comes to mind(later pics).
    Or TJ…

I’ve tried getting my dad into re-enactment Civil War, he has a royal looking beard.

• You left out Anton LaVey as the coach.

• @Imperious:

You left out Anton LaVey as the coach.

LoL Awesome

I have facial hair currently, but I go between clean shaven phases and “close shaves” every few months. For the record, I haven’t killed anyone, or committed a crime.  :wink:

GG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m