• So far, this is all I have.
    I need a texture for the land, then for the sea. But at this point I can still change the territory connections and am open to suggestions if anyone sees any glaring errors.
    Global6.png

• Africa is all distorted!  NOT playable!  (1914 map anyone?)

I like the circles for major cities.  Overall nice map.

• I might be willing to make Oztea’s map, but would like some input regarding the reasoning behind the organization of the areas. I see that some spaces are going to be too small and that the map 8 x 4 will be unplayable for nearly all who do not have that kind of space.

• When you stretch it out to 8x4 those city circles are 2 1/4 inches wide, plenty of room for many units.
    The other territories that aren’t nearly as important vary in size but almost all of them should fit enough units just fine.

I know the borders aren’t precise but reality must bend for playability.

• Are you willing to insert terrain options like mountainous, forest or dessert?

So many territories… But for France I think only the east territory should be adjactant to Germany. And the Northern only to Belgium.

• Id like it to be a traditional A&A game.
    The board will be the same. Special rules will handle the fluff.
    (special rules like NEW major factories may only be placed in “industrialized” areas worth 3 or more) That being the circle territories
    And a special rule that captured factories automatically take D6 damage when captured.
    So mountains…probably not. Just a lot of 0 IPC territories to add distance in china and Siberia.

That upside down L shaped territory in northern Russia is going to be an impassable Urals territory.
    Also, impassable Prypet Marshes, Himalayas, and Sahara

• Here is a really sloppy colorization done in paint.

Global7.png

• I understand that, if you like it to be more like traditional A&A game. But won’t it look to much like “global war 1939”?

On the map; I see you put a city circle in Persia? Wouldn’t it be better to place that one in Baku? Will the circles represent the only victory cities on the map, or will there be more? (Singapore and islands etc)

Shouldn’t  Belgian Congo be Belgian? People always seem to give it to Britan or France right away.

On factories, I think that they should only be allowed on home soil industrialized territories.

To differ it more from Global 39 i would advocate for All Axis all Allies move turn system, this would speed things up and more historical accurate. 1) Germany, Italy and Minor Axis 2) Japan 3) Russia 4) Western Allies  All economies will however still be separate.

• Customizer

I think your map looks great. So some of the territories are a little misshapen, sometimes you have to do that for better game play. I also like the circles for the big cities and think it’s pretty cool that you made some that we don’t normally have on current A&A games, like Helsinki, Finland. I guess if you wanted to treat Finland like an Axis Minor, they should have their own capital that the Allies could possibly capture.
    I think I have identified most of the cities, but not sure about a few of them:
    The circle just south of Warsaw, is that Budapest, Hungary?
    The circle in the middle of North Africa, is that Tripoli, Libya?
    There are two new circles in Russia, just west of Moscow. The one just below the Pripet Marshes is Kiev, right? What is the one just above the Pripet Marshes?
    The circle in Northern China along the coast, is that Beijing? I’m pretty sure the southern one is Shanghai.

I know you can’t make a circle around them, but I assume that Manila and Honolulu would also be included. I guess in those cases, the whole island(s) would be considered their territory.

I think you are doing a great job. I’m sure it is taking a lot of work. Hope you are able to finish it because I would like to see the finished product. Are you going to print air bases and naval bases on it?

• Very observant Knp, but no printed air bases or naval bases.
    Smolensk is the other Russian city south of Leningrad.

If it’s similar to global 39 thats fine with me. I own an 8x4 of that but there are some major flaws on it in my opinion. Scale, color and sea zones are all flawed in some way or another in my opinion.

• '14

@oztea:

Very observant Knp, but no printed air bases or naval bases.
    Smolensk is the other Russian city south of Leningrad.

If it’s similar to global 39 thats fine with me. I own an 8x4 of that but there are some major flaws on it in my opinion. Scale, color and sea zones are all flawed in some way or another in my opinion.

Oztea, please explain what you think the flaws are in the map? I can understand color! But, scale and sea zones?  Sea zones can easily be worked around if you take away NB advantage of 3 moves.  Make combat move 2 moves and NCM 4.

• @knp7765:

I think I have identified most of the cities, but not sure about a few of them

The circle which (I assume) is intended to represent the capital of Canada seems to be centered on Toronto rather than Ottawa.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I like the increased articulation of the map.

Regarding Shanghai, that territory can incorporate Nanjing since they’re so close. Toronto and Ottawa are relatively close enough that the placement on the map is fine.

I like the division of the US, though having DC as its own territory creates the unique circumstance of having a capital with minimal manufacturing capability. Though on second thought it includes Philly and Baltimore so it should have a respectable IPC value (New York/New England and Midwest will be the heavy hitters I imagine).

I love the addition of the Chinese commies.

And if Spain, Finland, Greece and Romania/Bulgaria/Hungary will be minor powers, why not Canada?

• Customizer

Finland should have an Arctic coastline, that is before the Winter War.

• Canada would be its own power, or merged with ANZAC as the UK Common Wealth (so grey units )
    Finland will probably get an arctic coastline in the final version.

As for what I find are shortcomings of the global 39 map….
    The ports and airbases printed on the map itself are kind of distracting.
    Obviously the convoy box system is outdated, and the raiding spaces in 1940 work much better in my opinion. The convoy boxes should be done away with.
    (except perhaps a special battle of the atlantic zone, however just placing CONVOY symbols with a ghosted US/UK/Canadian Roundel beneath would denote that the general treasury is raided from these north Atlantic sea zones.
    Rio De Oro is French (but should be Spanish) and gives the allies a port on mainland Africa
    Even if the combat move for ships is reduced to 2, US forces can stage in Quebec, and move directly to SZ 28 and land in Normandy

For a scale comparison,see the attached image.
    North America, South America and Africa are all much bigger than they need to be, as is mainland Asia.

Don’t get me wrong though, the map is good, I mean, hell…I bought one. But these few nagging issues have kept me from enjoying it to the fullest.
    The 1940 map has a really good scale to it I feel. Has much more room for ships in the pacific, and much more room on Europe for land combat.

scale.jpg

• '14

@oztea:

Canada would be its own power, or merged with ANZAC as the UK Common Wealth (so grey units )
    Finland will probably get an arctic coastline in the final version.

As for what I find are shortcomings of the global 39 map….
    The ports and airbases printed on the map itself are kind of distracting.
    Obviously the convoy box system is outdated, and the raiding spaces in 1940 work much better in my opinion. The convoy boxes should be done away with.
    (except perhaps a special battle of the atlantic zone, however just placing CONVOY symbols with a ghosted US/UK/Canadian Roundel beneath would denote that the general treasury is raided from these north Atlantic sea zones.
    Rio De Oro is French (but should be Spanish) and gives the allies a port on mainland Africa
    Even if the combat move for ships is reduced to 2, US forces can stage in Quebec, and move directly to SZ 28 and land in Normandy

For a scale comparison,see the attached image.
    North America, South America and Africa are all much bigger than they need to be, as is mainland Asia.

Don’t get me wrong though, the map is good, I mean, hell…I bought one. But these few nagging issues have kept me from enjoying it to the fullest.
    The 1940 map has a really good scale to it I feel. Has much more room for ships in the pacific, and much more room on Europe for land combat.

We have revised the 39 map and made Europe much larger as well as Africa along with the med, western Russian and even Britain. We also took away all of the NB and AB.  Check it out on HBG website. I will admit the first 39 map needed some changes.
      As far as the US staging in Canada. What would be the difference in them staging there or in the UK?  It would still be 2 turns to get a unit from the US to France.

• Its improved slightly, but it still has a long way to go in my opinion.
    The convoy boxes are still a holdover from editions long past.
    The colors are simple, but effective, but….boring. And the new “mountain range” texture looks out of place. As does the ghosted names over Russia, Germany, etc.

It certainly isn’t bad, it just isn’t precisely what I’m looking for.
    And if I am going to have something on an 8x4 table in my basement it had better be 99% up to my standards.

I really am looking for a game where loaded US transports are vulnerable in the north atlantic. (that many sea zones) so you actually have to fear German subs. Instead of just unloading at london, so the land units are safe.

• Curious,  why does Mongolia have 11 territories?  Seems a little over the top for a country that was really a nothing in terms of its strength or influence at the time.

Is this just to mimic terrain issues and slow progress of either side through that area?

• So Japan can’t sneak through there in an attempt to get to Moscow. 90% of those territories will be worthless and only exist to keep Japan honest.

• If you plan to make the north Atlantic larger, you should add the Azores. The allies used those islands to stage their navy and aircraft to protect the convoys and hunt U-boats.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m